Total War: Warhammer

Agiel

Of which the 3rd installment will feature bears, Cenobites, anti-vaxxers, fat bastards, and more!

Or, if you mainly play as the Wood Elves like me, the opportunity to meet interesting and stimulating peoples and creatures of far-off lands... and kill them.

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

2 hours ago, Agiel said:

Of which the 3rd installment will feature bears!

thanks to russian blasphemy laws, is gonna be the closest we get to a reign of winter offering. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Haha 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

There were some complaints that Creative Assembly (and by extension Games Workshop given that they're writing new rules for the faction for the WHFB revival) leaned too heavily into that aspect of Kislev. These appears to be less to do with any perceived stereotyping (hell, there even is a new character that borrows some visual cues from Rasputin) and more that it made the faction feel a bit one-note (bear mounts for generals, cannons hauled into battle by bears, a Kaijiu-sized bear spirit). In contrast the brand new Cathayan faction looks to be a lot more well-thought out, drawing from a wider breadth of Chinese sources (Taoist sorcery, Terracotta warriors, sky-lantern hot-air balloons. I'd be very surprised if in future DLC for the faction they don't get one of those stone lions as a new unit).

Come to think of it, Games Workshop would be leaving a load of money on the table if they didn't make a new model of an old lady riding into battle in her chicken hut.

Edited by Agiel
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

I was sad that they obviously are excluding hag magic from Kislev for future DLC

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

drycha starting location seems to be on the campaign map

hope there are new magical forrest to make wood elf playable

was actually hoping for new a norsca or vampire count lord

mostly play vortex so never get much chance to play these two faction

kislev doesn't look more one note than bretonnia

which is horse horse horse flying horse and finally flying chicken

I need to give the game another go, now when I have a better PC. I know I have first one, and I might have some base version of the sequel, not sure. 

I used to love Total War games - it was my entry to strategy games. Nowadays it feels more like all flash no substance. Tried to get into Shogun2 and couldn’t. Shame, I do adore the setting. 

Most interesting change is the ability to purchase settlements by way of diplomatic agreements or, presumably, purchasing them with currency. Can't tell you how many times in the previous game a playthrough was undone due to an ally taking over a settlement to complete a province.

Edited by Agiel
  • Like 1

-Rod Serling

10 hours ago, Agiel said:

Most interesting change is the ability to purchase settlements by way of diplomatic agreements or, presumably, purchasing them with currency. Can't tell you how many times in the previous game a playthrough was undone due to an ally taking over a settlement to complete a province.

really hope they fix the stupid pay to confederate system

quest guided confederate are much better

• Like 1

A Chaos Undivided faction has been unveiled, though strangely enough it does not have GW staple Be'lakor playable:

Edited by Agiel

-Rod Serling

But Be'lakor was mentioned in cinematic so I feel like he will be there in the end

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

• 4 weeks later...

In the spirit of Khorne, here's a dumb joke.

Q: Skull Throne, Servitor Skulls, terrain made of skulls. Why is everything in Warhammer made of skulls?

A: It's the most abundant resource.

Edited by Agiel
  • Like 3

-Rod Serling

Mandalore covering a game so soon, surprising.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

The addition of Cathay with its <<Harmony>> mechanic brought my mind to this classic Warhammer Quest mini:

sq9ozcfuvod81.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

My new headcanon is that some Wood Elves visited Cathay shortly after the Sundering, met Celestial Dragon Monks, watched Weijin Opera, and even picked up some Drunken Style fighting and would become the first Wardancers. 

• Haha 1

-Rod Serling

The Kislev one (specifically Katarin's) seems canonical as it is the most detailed and the implication is that TWW3...

...is a prequel to TWW1 and Ursun is presumably still around from Dmitriy Tsaryov's dialogue.

One of the top threads on the Reddit is how to mod the race for the four souls. You would think that with the feedback on the DLCs the playerbase liked the most that CA learned that players _do not_ appreciate time pressures in their campaigns, but alas.

Edited by Agiel

-Rod Serling

• 2 months later...

I've basically made a promise to myself that I won't really play this until the Blood for the Blood God dlc is out, mostly because Khorne seems like the most me faction, and it feels wrong to play Khorne until that dlc is out. 

I know Kislev's entire schtick is everything has two roles, but it makes me frustrated when I'm trying to fight and my entire army plays like archers because I didn't hit a certain button.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I believe in the <<Gameplay>> tab in the options you can disable ranged units defaulting to "Skirmish" mode. I turn it off even playing as factions that rely heavily on dedicated ranged units (i.e. Wood Elves) as often I find that results in the AI causing them to retreat at less-than-ideal times and in un-optimal direction.

-Rod Serling

I put it on shelf until Mortal Empires are done

• 3 months later...

Dabbled a bit with Immortal Empires as Wulfrik (never played him before, picked him randomly from a wheel haha).

I love these mega campaigns. I have a feeling I screwed up by focusing on other Norsca and not Bretonnia/Empire (though they were all attacking me so...)

At least it was easy to confederate!??

I haven't had time to properly start an Immortal Empires campaign yet but it's been great being able to get back into multiplayer with all the races again. Creative Assembly have done such a good job with this series, it must have been so difficult to make something this epic in scale and still make it so varied and balanced and fun.