Anime - Kono Dio Da!

Amentep

14 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

Yeah, that was the part that I said was quite bad and didn't stylistically work at all with the rest of the film that almost made me turn the movie off early on, :p. It doesn't do anything like that ever again, thankfully. Bad forced action sequences are anathema!

I'll see... eventually. So far reality is dangerously close to cease existing, because so far I don't like this film at all. :p 

14 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

If only I'd seen the show in question to fully understand the comparison...I guess I'll take your word for it! :)

It's problematic in a way, Walter White becomes utterly unlikeable after a while, but Bryan Cranston does a really great job of it. It also doesn't help that his family is so super annoying that you're not really bothered by the way he starts talking to them simply because who cares. At least it was for me, I know a bunch of people who were really unhappy how his personal arc ended (i.e. because he got a "happy" ending in the sense of achieving all of his goals). 

I mean, it's more fitting for your self-image there. Not my opinion, of coures. :p 

I had severe misgivings about that Alice in Wonderland episode based on the preview at the end of 54, but the actual episode turned out great. I'll reply to the rest more in-depth once I'm home. :) 

Edited by majestic
  • Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

1 hour ago, majestic said:

I had severe misgivings about that Alice in Wonderland episode based on the preview at the end of 54, but the actual episode turned out great. I'll reply to the rest more in-depth once I'm home.

I don't usually watch previews until after I've already seen the episode in question unless I'm kind of brain dead and forget to close it or go to the next one before it starts to show. So most of the time, I only have the name of the episode to work with in terms of expectations. Trailers/previews don't do much for me, so I prefer not to see them, not even when I'm trying to prognosticate whether I'd like a show/movie. ...Yeah, I could see why you wouldn't be too thrilled with that preview, :p.

Lady Devil, episode 4:

Spoiler

Jun (the main character who is the Devil Lady) is taken prisoner by the military after the ordeal of the last episode, and she is officially "recruited" by Asuka and her branch to put down other devils. Meanwhile, Jun's "best friend" Kazumi, whose family was slain in the previous episode, has nowhere to go what with her family being dead and her home being destroyed, and asks Jun to let her stay with her. Jun tries to make dinner for them and Kazumi asks Jun if she knew what happened that night and whether she was involved, and In the middle of their conversation, Asuka calls in and says there'll be a new job - and Kazumi becomes suspicious of exactly what it is that Jun does. The devil they're hunting has taken over an office and...whoa, Jun just straight up freaking vaporized it in like literally 30 seconds. She's way more powerful than whatshisface from the original show (Amon? ...no, that was the name of the demon possessing him, but whatever, close enough), and this show doesn't seem to be particularly interested in drawn-out fights, which I am pretty okay with actually. Does leave me thinking that Jun could probably murder Asuka and that entire branch of the military with her overwhelming strength, though...maybe that'll happen later when she realizes the same and when she isn't so confused and emotionally vulnerable.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

12 hours ago, KP the meanie zucchini said:

Steins;Gate 0 episodes 2 and 3.

It's still early, but I think I like it less than Steins;Gate. But it's good enough to keep going.

Reveal hidden contents

Calling it now, the professor is going to be the villain. 

This one also needs some time to get going. But I prefer the first one.

• Gasp! 1

sign.jpg

Okay, so here's the promised in-depth reply that's possible going to be somewhat lengthy and rambly, so... I guess I'll spoiler-tag most of it for easier TL;DRing the post (also it is going to be only tangentially on topic, I guess).

23 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

If only I'd seen the show in question to fully understand the comparison...I guess I'll take your word for it! :) In regards to logical sense...well, take Steins;gate for instance - I couldn't finish a single episode because I hated the Japanese voice-acting so much in such a particular way that I'm sure nobody else understands. Stuff like that, :p.

Spoiler

That doesn't make it illogical per se. This is mincing words now, because I know what you mean. It simply looks irrational from the outside. Hell, interestingly enough, something happened at work today. I got into the office after working from home yesterday, and someone - I'm assuming it was the cleaning lady - moved the stuff on my desk around. I didn't notice that at first, walked up to my desk after putting my drinks and dinner into the fridge, and then froze in place for half a minute, causing the others to go "What's up?" and the only reply I managed was a confused: "Things are out of place."

I mean obviously things get shuffled around in cleaning, that's why I usually just collect everything and put it back where it belongs afterwards. Since I wasn't there yesterday that wasn't possible, and it was of course not the first time that happened. I'm not sure why my reaction was as overt as it was today, I'm usually better at hiding my irritation (or I can pass it off as a joke). Guess... being really tired played a part. Camouflage takes energy, after all. Meh. I also had barely any time prepare not having noticed it prior to getting to my chair.

When it comes to being bothered by sounds or the way people talk I don't have as an adverse reaction as you do, only to some German accents (and that I can deal with), certain music (lounge jazz for instance is highly irritating to the point of breaking my concentration and making me angry) and the worst of all - mentioned that before - the sound of rustling cellophane wrapping, which even causes involuntary muscle spasms that I can't stop no matter how hard I try. Actually just thinking of the sound is enough to cause a reaction, although much smaller in scale. It's a fun "trick" to show at the parties I don't go to, being able to cast goosebumps at will. Yeah. What a burner. Heh. :) 

So.. yeah. Long story short: While voice acting is a much more complex topic than cellophane wrapping, it's not like I don't... hm, understand where you're coming from here. All I need to do is imagine a show where everyone talks while chewing on cellphane wrapping. Instant cringe.

I more or less get the same treatment as you. It's not that I hate everything, it's just that I have no inherent interest in watching what everyone else is watching, and I'm better at identifying what I will or won't like than everyone else. It doesn't help that whenever I try to watch something that I have specifically identified as "I'm not going to care too much for this AT BEST", I'm right at least 9/10 times.

In terms of being dragged to the theater it's mostly fine for me. It's usually films that I have a passing interest in, even if I end up disliking most - or at least not liking them. Sometimes there's a surprise in there, like with Iron Sky or The Conjuring, but more often than not it's just the It remake and whatever the hell Into Darkness was supposed to be. :yes:

Being roped into watching 12 seasons of The Big Bang Theory, uhm... hello trauma. *waves*

There we are. You're pickier than I am, but I live in a hell of my brain's making at times. Wanna trade for a week or two? You could finish Steins;Gate in that time and I can drop Lady Asuka and don't go back. :p

To go even more on a tangent:

Spoiler

I've been thinking about making an appointment with a clinical psychologist recently. The past months made me think about a lot of things that I thought were one way and now I'm no longer certain at all. I've always looked at my, uhm, eccentricities as such, a combination of being a bit different than most people combined with the emotional trauma from my past. Some of the things I do are certainly related to that (like flinching every time someone approaches me from behind), but not all of them.

There's a lot of little things that accrued with the changes thanks to the lockdowns. Back in April, my wife helped out in a boutique as a side job, and I visited her once to help her with the cash register because the manual was a little, well, bad, and I have some experience with them, the first project I worked on, even though it failed pretty hard, was working with these things. Anyway, on the way she calls me and tells me to get a coffee for her, and the owner helpfully fired the old clerk before hiring a new one, so there was no job training at all, except over the phone, which is really problematic.

I ended up standing in front of the bakery/coffee shop two streets down for a full five minutes before managing to go in. Normally I'd just, eh, walk and say hello, but with the lockdown rules at the time it was wearing masks and no more than one person per 20 square meters. Normal people would just go in and... see someone else, leave, or get told to wait outside a bit. Me? I was so confused by the notion of having to figure out how many people are in the stupid building based on a measurement that isn't readily available at all that I walked around looking through the windows, waiting long enough to make sure that nobody was being served.

Great, so that's what happens when my trained behaviour breaks down. I looked at some really old pictures, went over some things in my mind. The real kicker was a talk I came across a while back,  by a psychologist about undiagnosed autism in adults. It was mostly about girls being far less often diagnosed due to having different coping mechanisms (or better adaptability, if you will), and... eh.

It's not the first time I thought about it, but the criteria lists and AQ-testing quizzes are more often than not meant for children. So, no, I don't have problems with establishing eye contact. I can, if I have to, integrate into a new social circle. I'm not comfortable doing that, but at least it's not impossible. Stuff like that, you know. So, ultimately, I simply used to discard the idea. Now? Not so sure any more. All of that is... trained. It's also probably the reason why these interactions are always so exhausting. I look at the people I'm talking to because I know I'm supposed to, not because it comes naturally.

Looking back at the iterations of this thread, I guess that's not as strange looking at it from the outside. There are a lot of things that make sense, after all. There's the issue with things being out of place bothering me. A history of badly ending social interactions, being seen as aloof and emotionless. Adverse reactions to certain sounds. Adverse reactions to certain textures, heh, I hated playing in sandboxes. Actually, I hate getting anything on my skin that sticks to it, especially when it's oily or sugary and isn't easily washed off (spare ribs, for instance, I can only eat by weirdly fondling the bones, because ugh, no, I'm not touching the meat directly). I keep feeling that my fingers are sticky long after washing everything off. There are pictures of a very little me awkwardly picking up a slice of cake so the exposure on my fingers is as limited as possible.

Sand is the same. It gets stuck between my toes. Worse when they're wet, or the sand is wet. Ugh. Go away (yeah, being on sandy beaches is fun, but I can cope these days, I like swimming in the sea more than I hate having sand stuck on my toes - it's much worse for my fingers).

OCD in having to fill up progress bars, getting needlessly completist about things. Other little things (e.g. ritualistic behavior). Back to the video, I guess I saw myself in a lot of what he talked about when it came to girls (I am and always was very far removed from the regular societal idea of masculinity, in all things except being born that way and showing interest in nerd-stuff - but that last thing was just happenstance). So yeah, the savant-like ability to retain (useless) bits of information is also there. Talking to people about my weirdo hobbies not getting that they don't care? Did that too, except I often talked to adults who pretended to be interested and just thought "weird kid" because connecting to my peers was really awkward.

So, guess, I'm kind of debating with myself if I shouldn't just go and try to get another test. Then again, what would be the point?  Would it actually change anything, knowing either way?

Yikes, what a diatribe. Sorry, if you reached this point, hey, like this post, leave a comment, subscribe to my channel! Thanks!

If there was a "reset show" button on platforms like Netflix that erased all progress of having seen a show, would you ever use it? :shifty:

The answer may surprise you. Click here to find out more!

Spoiler

No, I wouldn't. :p

9 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

I did, just indirectly. It was a long-time coming, and of course, had to resolve that way, for how else could it? :)

I don't know, they could have easily went with the route of him staying embittered and dying a lonely old codger, but then it would not be Cardcaptor Sakura. So yes, it had to be resolved like that. I'll admit that I really liked the happy fuzzy feeling CCS manages to create in me most of the time.

8 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

I don't usually watch previews until after I've already seen the episode in question unless I'm kind of brain dead and forget to close it or go to the next one before it starts to show. So most of the time, I only have the name of the episode to work with in terms of expectations. Trailers/previews don't do much for me, so I prefer not to see them, not even when I'm trying to prognosticate whether I'd like a show/movie. ...Yeah, I could see why you wouldn't be too thrilled with that preview, :p.

Minor word of warning, the next episode has the dreaded super stupid Kero moment. I'm looking forward to see if you think so too. It's too bad because otherwise the episode is funny. Eh, there really are a few little things that bring these episode down a little.

I got into the habit of watching the full episode thanks to the Leave it to Kero-Chan segment at the end, and didn't stop when it was over. Routines, yes? I usually try one of the previews to see if they're worthwhile. Princess Tutu for instance has them at the end of the episode, and they're usually narrated by Drosselmeyer making them somewhat unique and - while not neccessary to see - somewhat helpful. I always watched those. K-On previews? No, skip. :)

8 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

Lady Devil, episode 4:

Sounds a damn sight more interesting than Lady Asuka...

Edited by majestic
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, InsaneCommander said:

This one also needs some time to get going.

I see what you did there.

32 minutes ago, majestic said:

Is that really saying much? Too bad it's not like the manga where

Jun is the female half of Satan, who ****s the male half to give birth to Akira before merging back into Satan and fighting their twin Michael over the ruins of earth. Take that God!

• Haha 1
  • Gasp! 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

2 hours ago, majestic said:

Yes. In contrast to KP, I'm content with the show simply feeling like a strange off-brand Miyu, :p.

I got into the habit of watching the full episode thanks to the Leave it to Kero-Chan segment at the end, and didn't stop when it was over. Routines, yes? I usually try one of the previews to see if they're worthwhile. Princess Tutu for instance has them at the end of the episode, and they're usually narrated by Drosselmeyer making them somewhat unique and - while not neccessary to see - somewhat helpful. I always watched those. K-On previews?

I think Sailor Moon is the only show where I always let them run, and that's because they were amusing in of themselves, didn't really do much more than tease a very simple premise, and Sailor Moon isn't a show where spoilers really matter one iota. I usually go back and watch them later after I've finished an episode, though it depends on the show in question and how they handle them.

Spoiler

3 hours ago, majestic said:

Would it actually change anything, knowing either way?

Recognizing that there's something you want to change about yourself is always the first step of making a change...but you can do that without a diagnosis if there's something about yourself that's genuinely bothering you, though the diagnosis can help get a second perspective and get legitimate advice. The second step is actually sincerely wanting to put the effort into changing it. So that's more dependent on your feelings about yourself than anything else, :). If you're content with who and what you are right now, then yeah, I don't much see the point, it would really just be confirmation for confirmation's sake - if you're not, then it may be worth pursuing.

• Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

5 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

Yes. In contrast to KP, I'm content with the show simply feeling like a strange off-brand Miyu, :p.

Very surprising. :p

I think Sailor Moon is the only show where I always let them run, and that's because they were amusing in of themselves, didn't really do much more than tease a very simple premise, and Sailor Moon isn't a show where spoilers really matter one iota. I usually go back and watch them later after I've finished an episode, though it depends on the show in question and how they handle them.

I ignore them most of the time and just fast forward through if I have a progress bar to fill, or turn off the player if I don't. That's a weird peculiarity too, I actually just close VLC and restart it instead of putting the next file in the playlist? Why? Hey, who knows. Feels like putting the next disk/tape in.

Spoiler

Recognizing that there's something you want to change about yourself is always the first step of making a change...but you can do that without a diagnosis if there's something about yourself that's genuinely bothering you, though the diagnosis can help get a second perspective and get legitimate advice. The second step is actually sincerely wanting to put the effort into changing it. So that's more dependent on your feelings about yourself than anything else, :). If you're content with who and what you are right now, then yeah, I don't much see the point, it would really just be confirmation for confirmation's sake - if you're not, then it may be worth pursuing.

Spoiler

Yeah, I'm sort of sorry to have let off that part of the post now, in retrospect. The post started out as acknowledgement of issues and was supposed to be supportive. I mean, as far as I am concerned, you don't need to constantly justify your dislikes of certain shows or aspects of anime (or entertainment as a whole). Feel free to have your alter ego dislike K-On! too if it's too much. :p

I am mostly content, on the other hand, what else can I be? The issues that stem from what maybe is PTSD - and that's armchair psychology here, so take that with a grain of salt - could be helped by various means. The others? That I can only accept, right, I mean... that's simply hardwiring. Again, presuming that my armchair psychology (aka "I diagnosed myself on the internet") is correct. Insofar I don't need an offical label. It also confers no other advantages, I think, but I'd have to look that up. Confirmation for confirmation's sake it would be. I could go and see if there are any support groups close by, but that's a huge hurdle to overcome*. Much more than posting in our hijacked slice of the boards is.

So, anyway, thanks for coming to my personal TED talk, I hope it wasn't too boring. :yes:

*Not only because of the setting and the social aspect of it, but also because imposter syndrome is a thing.

• Like 1

I ignore them most of the time and just fast forward through if I have a progress bar to fill, or turn off the player if I don't. That's a weird peculiarity too, I actually just close VLC and restart it instead of putting the next file in the playlist? Why? Hey, who knows. Feels like putting the next disk/tape in.

MPC-HC >>> VLC

...But you're probably very resistant to change, so I'm not even gonna bother trying to argue that particular one, especially since VLC still ultimately gets the job done, :p.

Spoiler

For me, it's not really about justifying myself as much whether something I say can be justified. I can't stand voice actors sucking on their microphones like they were doing in that first episode of Steins;gate, but nobody has a clue what I'm talking about when I say I can't stand that, especially given how peculiar and specific that particular complaint is. That's something that cannot be reasonably justified because not only can nobody else experience it, but they can't even see or understand it to begin with. At least with something like your cellophane problem, it's something that others can clearly fully understand after an explanation even if they themselves don't experience it. The same way when Sarex tried to get me to watch that one show he also got KP to try and I took a look at a handful of screenshots and about a million different warning alarms went off in my head for many different reasons relating just to the way that I could see the show being presented that I can't really explain as much more than being simply feelings based off of my prognostication process; the same way that Mari was an instantly and so obviously utterly loathsome creature to both of us for both some reasons that we can explain but also a number that we cannot, not really, because the others would not be able to experience or even understand those explanations (and we did try...oh boy did we try!).

Such things happen to all of us, there are simply things that we inherently dislike or appeal to us on such a base level that there's not really any possible explanation we can offer for them beyond "well, I just like/dislike that thing". But when it happens so frustratingly often...when a pile of other people give you recommendations for things and you have to constantly say "sorry, I have an irrational hatred for (x), (y), and (z) plus a bunch of other things I can't really fully explain that make your recommendations no good for me", I'm sure that sort of behavior must eventually start seemingly completely unreasonable and intolerable at some point...right? That's why I try to be self-aware and make sure everyone knows that I know I'm unreasonable, because no, I am not your normal viewer that can just get used to or suddenly start tolerating that which I dislike, and there so many things that I dislike, and I'm sorry about that. I might be a total bastard, but I don't want to perceived as a total bastard - just kind of one, :yes:.

Yes indeed, what it would be like to be as forgiving as Hurlshot...but on the other hand, if you were as forgiving as Hurlshot, where would that lead you? If everything is great, nothing is great - how could you have your things that are personally special to you? Perfect Blue, Whisper of the Heart, The Tragedy of Man, The Florida Project, 12 Monkeys, Only Yesterday...and those are just movies. If I was okay with just watching any random crap and enjoying it, I would never spend so much time and effort seeking out things that personally and specially work or resonate with me. No, perhaps it's better to be picky after all, because the things you especially love resonate with you forevermore and aren't simply disposable...but also, maybe there's a happy medium ground between someone like me and someone like Hurlshot where you get the best of both worlds, :p.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

MPC-HC >>>>> VLC

...But you're probably very resistant to change, :p.

Yeah, I only recently stopped using µTorrent. It's always the same with these things, you find a lightweight great alternative to established software and it eventually becomes just another bloatware. In the case of µTorrent though, they really worked hard at breaking this camel's back. Showing ads all the time was one thing, but installing browser extensions, proxy tools and changing internet settings without asking, yeah, not even Adobe did that when they tried to install the McAffee antivirus software on as many machines as possible.

VLC hasn't done anything to offend me, so... *shrug*

Unlike say Firefox, which really wants me to switch to Chrome these days, or even Edge. Not sure what's the better alternative. I'm almost leaning towards Microsoft, unthinkable, really. 😮 

Spoiler

59 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

For me, it's not really about justifying myself as much whether something I say can be justified. I can't stand voice actors sucking on their microphones like they were doing in that first episode of Steins;gate, but nobody has a clue what I'm talking about when I say I can't stand that, especially given how peculiar and specific that particular complaint is. That's something that cannot be reasonably justified because nobody else can see it, and even if they could, they obviously don't experience it like I do. At least with something like your cellophane problem, it's something that others can clearly fully understand after an explanation even if they themselves don't experience it.

Yeah, the cellophane thing is similar enough to nails on chalkboards (which I don't really like, but nowhere near react to as much) to be more readily understandable. That's where maybe not really understanding but accepting something comes in. Or should come in, anyway, that doesn't always work, and for the majority of people it's apparently also a bit of an issue. Look no further than the political thread here where Bruno and Skoop da Whoop keep being... themselves, with not one thought wasted on trying to understand.  At least Stjepan seems to have ventured away after embarrassing himself with that link.

1 hour ago, Bartimaeus said:

The same way when Sarex tried to get me to watch that one show he also got KP to try and I took a look at a handful of screenshots and about a million different warning alarms went off in my head for many different reasons relating just to the way that I could see the show being presented that I can't really explain as much more than being simply feelings based off of my prognostication process; the same way that Mari was an instantly and so obviously utterly loathsome creature to both of us for both some reasons that we can explain but also a number that we cannot, not really, because the others would not be able to experience or even understand those explanations (and we did try...oh boy did we try!).

Clannad has long been on a list of anime that I want to try, but both your and KP's experience pushed it further back a ways.

Inversely, trying to make people understand why I loved The Rise of Skywalker. That doesn't make any sense, and I should hate it as much - if not more - than the others, but I don't. I had a blast watching it, and it's probably really because The Last Jedi killed the past, in more ways than one. I don't think anyone I know truly understood why I didn't like TFA and TLJ but really enjoyed Rise. More often than not I get a "You're so weird (sometimes)" as a reply.

Such things happen to all of us, there are simply things that we inherently dislike or appeal to us on such a base level that there's not really any possible explanation we can offer for them beyond "well, I just like/dislike that thing". But when it happens so frustratingly often...when a pile of other people give you recommendations for things and you have to constantly say "sorry, I have an irrational hatred for (x), (y), and (z) plus a bunch of other things I can't really fully explain that make your recommendations no good for me", I'm sure that sort of behavior must eventually start seemingly completely unreasonable and intolerable at some point...right? That's why I try to be self-aware and make sure everyone knows that I know I'm unreasonable, because no, I am not your normal viewer that can just get used to or suddenly start tolerating that which I dislike, and there so many things that I dislike, and I'm sorry about that. I might be a total bastard, but I don't want to perceived as a total bastard - just kind of one, :yes:.

Callous response: Master, just tell everyone to #dealwithit. :p

No, but more seriously, I get where you're coming from, especially in light of people taking the time to come up with ideas that then don't end up working out. Although sometimes, really..., whoever suggested Rose of Versailles to you doesn't deserve any consideration at all. Heh.

Yes indeed, what it would be like to be as forgiving as Hurlshot...but on the other hand, if you were as forgiving as Hurlshot, where would that lead you? If everything is great, nothing is great - how could you have your things that are personally special to you? Perfect Blue, Whisper of the Heart, The Tragedy of Man, The Florida Project, 12 Monkeys, Only Yesterday...and those are just movies. If I was okay with just watching any random crap and enjoying it, I would never spend so much time and effort seeking out things that personally and specially work or resonate with me. No, perhaps it's better to be picky after all, because the things you especially love resonate with you forevermore and aren't simply disposable...but also, maybe there's a happy medium ground between someone like me and someone like Hurlshot where you get the best of both worlds, :p.

If you don't mind me asking, what makes 12 Monkey so great for you? That really seems like an odd one out in the list (not disagreeing with the assessment, just curious).

That happy middle ground probably exists somewhere. It certainly doesn't for me, I'm not as picky when it comes to things I enjoy within certain genres, but the pool of those that I will even consider is much smaller than the ones I would reject out of hand. I don't think it properly shows because it's really different for anime. I'd probably watch Steins;Gate as live action adapation to try it. Give me a life action Cardcaptor Sakura and... yeah, sure. Thanks, but no thanks, unless its direction and acting is as good as Stranger Things' (and even then it rides a bit more on nostalgia than I'd like).

I mean, as much fun as it is to make fun of Tuxedo Mullet in Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, the entire show is not... interesting for me.

• Like 1
  • Gasp! 1

39 minutes ago, majestic said:

I'm almost leaning towards Microsoft, unthinkable, really. 😮 

40 minutes ago, majestic said:

Clannad has long been on a list of anime that I want to try, but both your and KP's experience pushed it further back a ways.

I didn't hate it like Bart did, but I just didn't really care. You may like it more than I did, or you may go full hatewatch and write long essays that you'll use in your battle with Unicorn of War at the coming Animerok. If it's the later, may your words be sharp.

46 minutes ago, majestic said:

I'd probably watch Steins;Gate as live action adapation to try it.

There is going to be a live action Steins;Gate which means that there will be a 3d Daru. Lmao.

3 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

The Florida Project

You know, Sean Baker has become one of my favorite directors since he shot Tangerine on iPhones. I'm really looking forward to Red Rocket, that and The Beta Test are pretty much what I've been looking forward to seeing this year in terms of features.

• Gasp! 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

21 minutes ago, KP the meanie zucchini said:

I didn't hate it like Bart did, but I just didn't really care. You may like it more than I did, or you may go full hatewatch and write long essays that you'll use in your battle with Unicorn of War at the coming Animerok. If it's the later, may your words be sharp.

I doubt that I'll fight with Unicorn of War over anything but Sailor Moon. By the way, since you guys probably still have no idea who that is and what he's done to earn my ire like that:

24 minutes ago, KP the meanie zucchini said:

There is going to be a live action Steins;Gate which means that there will be a 3d Daru. Lmao.

It can't be any worse than the Fullmetal Alchemist live action film.

• Hmmm 1

If you don't mind me asking, what makes 12 Monkey so great for you? That really seems like an odd one out in the list (not disagreeing with the assessment, just curious).

Bruce Willis and Madeleine Stowe are awesome dramatically, comedically, and romantically together in that film, plus your good wacky Terry Gilliam stuff, plus a time travel plot that actually works well enough in the context of the film, some themes that I thought were interesting in addition to everything else... I don't know, I've seen it a few times and I'm always struck by how perfectly all the elements come together, and how strangely sympathetic, believable, and lovable both Willis and Stowe are (and of course, as is usual for me, love of a work starts with the characters and everything else naturally flows out from where you start with that). Rarely do I ever feel so strongly about live action films - the other eight that rise to an 80% or higher in my rating system and constitute some of my all-time favorite films are the aforementioned The Florida Project, Heathers, Parasite, Rosemary's Baby, The Fellowship of the Ring, The Thing, Downfall, and Monty Python and the Holy Grain. ...Monty Python would seem to be a bit of an oddball inclusion there, but my mom was a big Terry Gilliam and Monty Python lady while I was growing up (well, she used to be...but she still is too), and well, yeah, I guess I became a victim to it as well, :p.

Firefox

Yeah, my Firefox is still frozen in time before their big terrible update. So I assume it hasn't gotten any better since then?

Spoiler

Don't feel bad about uTorrent - all Windows clients are very flawed (and I do mean all of them), uTorrent 2.2.1 (a specific version released ten years ago) was still the gold standard for stability and usability, though it admittedly lacked some modern features...up until a couple of years ago when a critical security exploit was finally found with it and it was finally mostly phased out in the private places.

37 minutes ago, KP the meanie zucchini said:

You know, Sean Baker has become one of my favorite directors since he shot Tangerine on iPhones. I'm really looking forward to Red Rocket, that and The Beta Test are pretty much what I've been looking forward to seeing this year in terms of features.

I have not seen any of his other work, though I think I was considering Tangerine at some point but never went through with it due to how strange it looked. The Florida Project was so freaking good that I suppose I should probably check out something else of his eventually.

Edited by Bartimaeus

19 minutes ago, majestic said:

I doubt that I'll fight with Unicorn of War over anything but Sailor Moon. By the way, since you guys probably still have no idea who that is and what he's done to earn my ire like that:

I heard her pronounce Minako's name and I turned it off. A little piece of irrational hatred for something completely inconsequential for this Unicorn of War, ;). ...Plus, I think I got a pretty good idea of her shtick by that point anyways.

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, majestic said:

At this point, do you really want to challenge the depths of awful to go lower?

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Bruce Willis and Madeleine Stowe are awesome dramatically, comedically, and romantically together in that film, plus your good wacky Terry Gilliam stuff, plus a time travel plot that actually works well enough in the context of the film, some themes that I thought were interesting in addition to everything else... I don't know, I've seen it a few times and I'm always struck by how perfectly all the elements come together, and how strangely sympathetic, believable, and lovable both Willis and Stowe are (and of course, as is usual for me, love of a work starts with the characters and everything else naturally flows out from where you start with that). Rarely do I ever feel so strongly about live action films - the other eight that rise to an 80% or higher in my rating system and constitute some of my all-time favorite films are the aforementioned The Florida Project, Heathers, Parasite, Rosemary's Baby, The Fellowship of the Ring, The Thing, Downfall, and Monty Python and the Holy Grain. ...Monty Python would seem to be a bit of an oddball inclusion there, but my mom was a big Terry Gilliam and Monty Python lady while I was growing up (well, she used to be...but she still is too), and well, yeah, I guess I became a victim to it as well, :p.

Thanks, I mean, I really like Twelve Monkeys, too. The Thing as well, Downfall was really good, not just for the memes - which are all less funny when you can understand the actor. Not sure about Monthy Python, but I haven't seen Holy Grail. I know, I know, that's a pretty big gap in film classics, shame on me. :yes:

32 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Yeah, my Firefox is still frozen in time before their big terrible update. So I assume it hasn't gotten any better since then?

No. Every update made it worse. At first you could turn everything off, and with each update one option stopped working. Bigger spacing was suddenly non-removable, then tab highlighting changend and now, finally, everything was turned off and you can't even make Firefox take the color design from the operating system theme any more. It's baffling. There's so much vitriol and negative reactions no matter where you look, but Mozilla's been doing their best Blizzard impression and sticking their fingers in their ears going "Lalalala, everything is fine with the game balance, don't complain, I like playing my Shaman. I also don't have to do each daily every day, you know. It's okay to have 300 daily quests. Just leave some out." all the time.

Theoretically it's still possible to take the entire design CSS of the browser and edit it, but that is an awful lot of work, and the result is nowhere near as decent as the option to just turn Proton-UI off was.

40 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:
Spoiler

Don't feel bad about uTorrent - all Windows clients are very flawed (and I do mean all of them), uTorrent 2.2.1 (a specific version released ten years ago) was still the gold standard for stability and usability, though it admittedly lacked some modern features...up until a couple of years ago when a critical security exploit was finally found with it and it was finally mostly phased out in the private places.

Spoiler

I'm using qBittorrent at the moment. It's fine. It doesn't keep the language settings for some reason and removing folders breaks the tracker history, but that's minor compared with having malware nonsense installed on the quiet.

43 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

I have not seen any of his other work, though I think I was considering Tangerine at some point but never went through with it due to how strange it looked. The Florida Project was so freaking good that I suppose I should probably check out something else of his eventually.

Tangerine rings a bell, was that in a Half in the Bag at some point? I'm pretty sure Jay recommended that one at some point.

30 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

I heard her pronounce Minako's name and I turned it off. A little piece of irrational hatred for something completely inconsequential for this Unicorn of War, ;). ...Plus, I think I got a pretty good idea of her shtick by that point anyways.

I guess... I mean, he really sounds like a girl, but with the first name being Thomas, I'm leaning towards him being a him. :p

19 minutes ago, KP the meanie zucchini said:

At this point, do you really want to challenge the depths of awful to go lower?

I stare into the abyss with unbridled confidence.

Although, if recent years have taught me something, it's that it can always get worse. There's only an absolute zero in temperature. :yes:

9 minutes ago, majestic said:

I stare into the abyss with unbridled confidence.

You brave majestic :biggrin: but their are worse things that lurk here ?

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, majestic said:

I guess... I mean, he really sounds like a girl, but with the first name being Thomas, I'm leaning towards him being a him.

Oh gosh. I listened to his voice and was like "that's a girl, right? ...or is it? no, it's gotta be a girl, how could it not be, although...nah". Check yourself before you wreck yourself, kids.

21 minutes ago, majestic said:

Tangerine rings a bell, was that in a Half in the Bag at some point? I'm pretty sure Jay recommended that one at some point.

Yeah, pretty sure.

21 minutes ago, majestic said:

No. Every update made it worse. At first you could turn everything off, and with each update one option stopped working. Bigger spacing was suddenly non-removable, then tab highlighting changend and now, finally, everything was turned off and you can't even make Firefox take the color design from the operating system theme any more. It's baffling. There's so much vitriol and negative reactions no matter where you look, but Mozilla's been doing their best Blizzard impression and sticking their fingers in their ears going "Lalalala, everything is fine with the game balance, don't complain, I like playing my Shaman. I also don't have to do each daily every day, you know. It's okay to have 300 daily quests. Just leave some out." all the time.

Theoretically it's still possible to take the entire design CSS of the browser and edit it, but that is an awful lot of work, and the result is nowhere near as decent as the option to just turn Proton-UI off was.

See, that's exactly what I feared would happen and is why I froze my Firefox in time, and even kept a copy of the last (offline) installer before that update. There used to be a Firefox classic extension that could take you back to the styles of even older versions, I'm sure someone will make something to go back to the previous version...sooner or later.

I think I wrote literally all of the same complaints you just wrote when the update initially happened (plus maybe a couple of others) in the "what did you do today" thread. Good to see the changes I hated haven't changed, :p.

I recall you saying you're just not a Monty Python person? That would probably explain why you haven't watched it, given its lack of appeal to you.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Oh gosh. I listened to his voice and was like "that's a girl, right? ...or is it? no, it's gotta be a girl, how could it not be, although...nah". Check yourself before you wreck yourself, kids.

Sh...tuff happens. :p

We have a colleage at work who used to have a profile picture that looked like a young man, with a unisex first name, and I once wrote to a customer that mister <name> would be their point of contact. Turned out mister <name> is actually a woman. ;(

11 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

See, that's exactly what I feared would happen and is why I froze my Firefox in time, and even kept a copy of the last (offline) installer before that update. There used to be a Firefox classic extension that could take you back to the styles of even older versions, I'm sure someone will make something to go back to the previous version...sooner or later.

Yeah, possibly, I haven't checked yet.

13 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

I think I wrote literally all of the same complaints you just wrote when the update initially happened (plus maybe a couple of others) in the "what did you do today" thread. Good to see the changes I hated haven't changed, :p.

Yeah, back when that first Proton-UI update hit. I think the waste of space of the tab bar is one of the things that's no longer reversible, but I might misremember from the last time I fiddled with the settings.

15 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

I recall you saying you're just not a Monty Python person? That would probably explain why you haven't watched it, given its lack of appeal to you.

That's possible, it's not a topic I often get into because it's really hard to explain why I'm liking Blackadder but not Monty Python that much. Even I have no clue why. Maybe there's some form of unconscious bias going on.

31 minutes ago, KP the meanie zucchini said:

You brave majestic :biggrin: but their are worse things that lurk here ?

Indeed there are, like free lunch. :p

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, majestic said:

Indeed there are, like free lunch. :p

You've scared the abyss. What's next, a 6 hour workday? A living wage? A transportation system that isn't falling apart? Not droning a wedding because the AI thinks 3+ brown people = bad?

I think you need to reflect on why you hate freedom and bootstraps. 

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, KP the meanie zucchini said:

You've scared the abyss.

Andromeda-S02E01-33b771920788bf4f3dfe8e9

Does this guy look like he can be scared? :p

Watched Steins;Gate episode eight. Not sure why you guys said the show needs a couple of episode to get going, it's been really interesting so far. I love this kind of stuff though, so that's probably just me. The pacing doesn't bother me.

It's also a really good thing that I find the premise and developing story interesting so far, because Okarin remains infinitely slappable in his treatment of Kurisu, she's still putting up with his crap all the time and Daru... yeah, never mind, and to top it off, we've just added Moeka who refuses to talk to Okarin by anything but text messages even when she's standing right in front of him. I would not blame her for not talking to Okarin because nobody should talk to Okarin, but that's not her issue. She doesn't even attempt to talk to anyone else.

On the bright side, I finally got the character names down, so that's great. It's also really telling that the only character I like so far always says tuturu and has brain functions barely above a mentally handicapped person. It makes her endearing (somehow that sounds wrong, like having a pet, but it is what it is...) and at least Okarin isn't a complete ass to Mayuri. It's his only redeeming feature.

@Bartimaeus you could try watching without sound to the point Moeka shows up as regular character, then turn sound back on and immediately delete anything related to Steins;Gate and burn it down... she had no Erica-style outburst yet, but I think texting Okarin while standing right in front of him looking all stupid in the process has that beat. :p

• Like 1

8 hours ago, majestic said:

you could try watching without sound to the point Moeka shows up as regular character, then turn sound back on and immediately delete anything related to Steins;Gate and burn it down... she had no Erica-style outburst yet, but I think texting Okarin while standing right in front of him looking all stupid in the process has that beat.

:no:

Devil Lady, episode 5:

Spoiler

Nazumi says she's going to move in with Jun, and that's that - she'll pay half the rent. She jokingly makes a little innuendo at them sharing a bed, but won't answer Jun's question why she would even want to live with Jun in the first place. Jun gets a call to get her next job for the next morning, but won't tell Nazumi anything about it. She wants to keep her secret life...well, secret from Kazumi, especially because Kazumi is the only one that still treats her normally, given her new life of basically being in Asuka's servitude 24/7.

Asuka's next job for Jun involves an old classmate of Jun's, one Aoi. Asuka says they've identified Aoi has having the devil gene, and that it's Jun's job to meet with her and see if she's a potential target. Except Aoi isn't simply an old classmate, but actually her ex-girlfriend, information which Jun doesn't volunteer to Asuka. Alright, guess that pretty definitively answers that particular question about Jun.

Well...uh, I'm just gonna skip over the meat of the episode by just saying that did not end happily, that's for sure...but one positive thing that did happen was that Jun resolved to make sure things don't go with Kazumi the way they did with Aoi, and to that end, she gets home and asks for a hug and is a little honest about her feelings. Yeah, alright, that's fair.

Cardcaptor Sakura, episode 55:

Spoiler

...is the Alice episode I watched yesterday, I just realized. So let's watch 56 instead. I sat through the intro music to discover THAT?!

mpc-hc64_HbTfGs7efT.png

Nice use of perspective, show - really makes me feel like I'm literally millimetres away from Sakura's face (i.e. that I'm a creepy stalker Tomoyo).

"So cute..."
"The clothes, anyway."

mpc-hc64_ApigctEi9p.png

You...you...have a big head. Man, Kerberos is being extra dumb in this episode. Guess it's because of the sweets or something, I don't know. Holy crap, Kero is killing poor Supie! Oh, I guess not. Alright then.

Ruby, whatsherhumanname, is hugging and pressing herself against Toya literally right in front of Sakura. I thought Sakura was blind to just her own boy problems, but apparently she doesn't even slightly wonder what's going on with her brother, either.

The joke of them blaming Kero for the entire fiasco was pretty well setup, I have to say. Still, a little weaker episode than normal.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

Still, a little weaker episode than normal.

Story of the arc, I guess. These episode aren't so bad with a little distance and some perspective, they're just a little pale in comparison to what came before. :( 

Spoiler

Man, Kerberos is being extra dumb in this episode.

Spoiler

Fortunately, he gets a bit better. Or at least never this dumb any more. Boy that threw me off, and it almost ruins the entire episode, funny as the setup and payoff was. Eh, and Eriol is a bit of an ass, huh? Making Spinel Sun drunk when consuming sweets...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, majestic said:

Watched Steins;Gate episode eight. Not sure why you guys said the show needs a couple of episode to get going, it's been really interesting so far. I love this kind of stuff though, so that's probably just me. The pacing doesn't bother me.

Never said it wasn't interesting. :p Wait and you will understand though.

sign.jpg

Legend of Galactic Heroes 55-58:

I was right, this is not a very interesting moment in the story. I'll try to binge watch a few episodes on the weekend and see if it gets better.

Episode 56 showed how they went from Earth to an interstellar civilization. Basically a cycle of war → independent government → corruption or dictatorship → war → rinse and repeat.

At some point in the 21st century there was a nuclear war. On one side was Russia, France and parts of Africa and South America vs USA, China, South Asia… Don’t ask me why.confused.png.32c5d2a072ecd70d1035086796733a11.png 90 years later: World Government. Let me guess, someone probably called the war a hoax to create the “new world order”.🤣

• Hmmm 1

sign.jpg

I’m not much of an anime fan to be honest, but since Ghost in the Shell was new, I’ve watched two series, that I liked: Made in Abyss and BLOOD-C

Both are probably what you would call an acquired taste, but hey, I quite enjoyed the stories (although Made in Abyss could definitely do with some kind of real closure)

• Like 2

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein