Maybe Philosophy, Maybe Madness, Or Maybe just the Meme Quotes....

Raithe

"Tipping."

"Imagine convincing someone that you don't need to pay your employees, because you will pressure random strangers to do that for you."

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Not sure if it qualifies as philosophy, but one of the most enlightening pieces of literature I ever read (as a young teenager) was the cave allegory from Plato's "The Republic". Not going to quote part of a book here, but I would warmly recommend it as reading and as the proverbial "food for thought". Once we accept our limitations, we can work on expanding our horizons (the best way I can summarize it in my own words).

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

On 9/2/2021 at 12:01 AM, Hurlsnot said:

I suppose the reality is we teach about philosophers and their impact on society, instead of delving deep into their philosophies. But I have a hard time believing they didn't cover Aristotle or the Enlightenment, even in Texas.

Edit: I browsed the Texas education standards. Nevermind. I apologize for my assumption and your education.

7th grade is just all Texas History? Yikes.

I'm with KP. I don't recall that from middle or high school. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

3 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

I'm with KP. I don't recall that from middle or high school. 

weird.

we went to an inner city chicago high school with metal detectors and drug sniffing dogs making frequent patrols o' lockers. not a us news and world reports top 100 high school. nevertheless, we got aristotle coverage... twice. admitted the second dose were for an ap course our school were offering first time evar and the five o' us in the "class" had to take during lunch. literal slept through most o' the course and did none o' the reading assignments. we do recall the greek philosophers getting coverage between our naps. 

converse, we got almost no texas history, so no doubt kp kicks our arse on texas history jeopardy questions.

most o' the subject matter requirements for history is utter inconsequential from our pov. thanks to internet, facts is accessible to even the most limited student. way too much effort spent on breadth rather than depth. is our opinion history classes should focus. teach kids how to do research and get 'em thinking critical and teach 'em how to write. 

we mentioned how we attended a chicago high school. spend a semester in a chicago high school class teaching only turn o' the century labor issues in chicago would not be a waste IF were done in depth and with a focus on teaching kids how to teach themselves. all too often we see a shotgun approach to history being commonplace with an attempt to teach as many important events and personages as possible in a limited amount o' time. 

*descends from soapbox*

HA! Good Fun!

ps in reality am not finding all that weird that texas and illinois and california all teach middle and high school history different.  is a US federalism thing whereby each state has its own standards and a few states, particular after nclb, went out o' their way to show they were not gonna be compelled to follow any national standards regardless o' what the folks in washington might legislate.

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

8 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

weird.

we went to an inner city chicago high school with metal detectors and drug sniffing dogs making frequent patrols o' lockers. not a us news and world reports top 100 high school. nevertheless, we got aristotle coverage... twice. admitted the second dose were for an ap course our school were offering first time evar and the five o' us in the "class" had to take during lunch. literal slept through most o' the course and did none o' the reading assignments. we do recall the greek philosophers getting coverage between our naps. 

converse, we got almost no texas history, so no doubt kp kicks our arse on texas history jeopardy questions.

most o' the subject matter requirements for history is utter inconsequential from our pov. thanks to internet, facts is accessible to even the most limited student. way too much effort spent on breadth rather than depth. is our opinion history classes should focus. teach kids how to do research and get 'em thinking critical and teach 'em how to write. 

we mentioned how we attended a chicago high school. spend a semester in a chicago high school class teaching only turn o' the century labor issues in chicago would not be a waste IF were done in depth and with a focus on teaching kids how to teach themselves. all too often we see a shotgun approach to history being commonplace with an attempt to teach as many important events and personages as possible in a limited amount o' time. 

*descends from soapbox*

HA! Good Fun!

When I was in high school I had a teacher, Mr. Philbrook, Who taught economics, American government, and honors American history. Whatever I have become in terms of education, self education in particular, I really owe to him. He discussed his subjects not in terms of facts and figures rather as cause and affect. Not only did it completely change the way I thought about his subject material it made me think about all of the classes I had already taken up to that point. By my junior year in high school I had realized I was pretty smart comparatively speaking and could get C’s and B’s with minimal effort and investment. So I was comfortable doing that. Mr. Philbrook managed to get me to really THINK about what I was learning. That made me want to learn more. Which leads to reading books. Which leads to reading more books.

Your comment about teaching kids to teach themselves made me remember him again. I’m sure he has long since passed on. I wish I could’ve told him he made a difference.

• Like 5

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

28 minutes ago, Hurlsnot said:

I don't get invited to a lot of staff parties.

Is that part of the purpose of your reminding them of such things?  😏

• Like 3

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

image.thumb.jpeg.eeedee6dac3013f2158a1e6e99c91332.jpeg

with all due respect to Dr. King I think a common enemy that could kick both of your butts would do a pretty good job of turning enemies into friends as well!

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

On 9/25/2021 at 3:03 PM, Guard Dog said:

image.thumb.jpeg.eeedee6dac3013f2158a1e6e99c91332.jpeg

with all due respect to Dr. King I think a common enemy that could kick both of your butts would do a pretty good job of turning enemies into friends as well!

Transforming your enemies into memories is more efficient.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

• 2 weeks later...