Anime - Do you Understannnnnnndu?

Amentep

1 hour ago, majestic said:

Do you mean the one with the Russian dub? Because that really is god awful. :p 

:(

Guess I could wait for the BR but that is 3 months.

edit: Oh wow, it like a real cinema experience with soda chugging and popcorn eating audio added. 😄

Edited by Sarex

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

I ended up watching the movie too, the JP audio was not that good but it was watchable in the end.

@majestic

Spoiler

Why didn't you like the ending? I though it was nice to have a happy ending amongst so much sadness and bitterness throughout the series. It never did make sense to me for the Major to die without leaving behind a body when he fell over Violet in the ruins. Although maybe the movie was a tad too long.

46 minutes ago, Sarex said:

I ended up watching the movie too, the JP audio was not that good but it was watchable in the end.

@majestic

Hide contents

Why didn't you like the ending? I though it was nice to have a happy ending amongst so much sadness and bitterness throughout the series. It never did make sense to me for the Major to die without leaving behind a body when he fell over Violet in the ruins. Although maybe the movie was a tad too long.

Massive movie ending spoilers, so @KP the meanie zucchini, @InsaneCommander : No peeking. @Bartimaeus: Feel free to look, just set yourself into spoiler mode, just in case you might want to watch it at some point. 

Spoiler

Where to begin. First, even though enough of the anime itself, the OVA and the first movie were sometimes hackneyed and made copious use of melodrama, it was really well done and worked perfectly fine, because it was just that well made. The ending of the second movie felt as if someone changed their minds near the end, much like Gilbert did. I know that's not the case because the light novel also ends with her finding Gilbert, but he film dips way too deep into romance film stereotypes at the end. I almost felt like it suddenly turned into a Hollywood made animated romantic comedy. 

That one is really hard to explain and is mostly a "me" thing, I think. I got the same feeling watching Whisper of the Heart, wich was a fantastic masterpiece of a film until it suddenly wasn't at the end, and became just a decent film, but that's a classic Hayao Miyazaki for you, while he didn't direct Whisper of the Heart, he wrote it. When it comes to Studio Ghibli, Isao Takahata consistently made better endings, but he of course prefers them to be somewhat, let's say, melancholic, but never mind that.

Second, and that's the real issue I have, aside from feeling let down, is the fact that it is such a terribly unhealthy thing for Violet to move herself back into her codependency on Gilbert. Is there any chance they can have a healthy relationship with both being equal? Not really, right? Violet is still far too unstable, far too young - not physically, perhaps, now that she's 18, but in terms of maturity - for this to be a good idea. Or, even, for this to not be a bad idea, never mind a good one. The beginning of the film makes it perfectly clear.

Gilbert, meanwhile, has no issues living on his own. Violet can barely manage her own life.

The major knows this, the entire reason he's hiding and not letting anyone know that he's still alive is because of that. He just ends up changing his mind. I get it. I know why it is there, and why they get a happy ending, but much like Usagi at the end of the 90ies Sailor Moon anime (sorry but no sorry to bring that up again :p  ), I think it's the wrong one. 

All that happens after it looks like he finally managed to set her free. It sure was painful to watch, and I actually yelled at the screen, calling him a stupid arsehole for not even coming out to talk to her, don't get me wrong. He should have at least talked to her. 

It feels like the ending of the film gives a recovering alcoholic a bottle of booze and makes them take a sip. I realize it's not meant to be that. I get it, the series was bleak enough, even though it never really got dark and edgy for the sake of being dark and edgy. I... just don't like it. 

That's even before going into the age and maturity difference and the fact that Gilbert was Violet's superior, teacher and surrogate father in unison during her time in the army, but that's just Japan/anime. 

Disclaimer: I know that comes across as me taking this way more seriously than it should be taken, but I can't help it, for a whole lot of reasons. 

• Thanks 2
  • Gasp! 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

8 minutes ago, majestic said:

Massive movie ending spoilers, so @KP the meanie zucchini, @InsaneCommander : No peeking. @Bartimaeus: Feel free to look, just set yourself into spoiler mode, just in case you might want to watch it at some point. 

Reveal hidden contents

Where to begin. First, even though enough of the anime itself, the OVA and the first movie were sometimes hackneyed and made copious use of melodrama, it was really well done and worked perfectly fine, because it was just that well made. The ending of the second movie felt as if someone changed their minds near the end, much like Gilbert did. I know that's not the case because the light novel also ends with her finding Gilbert, but he film dips way too deep into romance film stereotypes at the end. I almost felt like it suddenly turned into a Hollywood made animated romantic comedy. 

That one is really hard to explain and is mostly a "me" thing, I think. I got the same feeling watching Whisper of the Heart, wich was a fantastic masterpiece of a film until it suddenly wasn't at the end, and became just a decent film, but that's a classic Hayao Miyazaki for you, while he didn't direct Whisper of the Heart, he wrote it. When it comes to Studio Ghibli, Isao Takahata consistently made better endings, but he of course prefers them to be somewhat, let's say, melancholic, but never mind that.

Second, and that's the real issue I have, aside from feeling let down, is the fact that it is such a terribly unhealthy thing for Violet to move herself back into her codependency on Gilbert. Is there any chance they can have a healthy relationship with both being equal? Not really, right? Violet is still far too unstable, far too young - not physically, perhaps, now that she's 18, but in terms of maturity - for this to be a good idea. Or, even, for this to not be a bad idea, never mind a good one. The beginning of the film makes it perfectly clear.

Gilbert, meanwhile, has no issues living on his own. Violet can barely manage her own life.

The major knows this, the entire reason he's hiding and not letting anyone know that he's still alive is because of that. He just ends up changing his mind. I get it. I know why it is there, and why they get a happy ending, but much like Usagi at the end of the 90ies Sailor Moon anime (sorry but no sorry to bring that up again :p  ), I think it's the wrong one. 

All that happens after it looks like he finally managed to set her free. It sure was painful to watch, and I actually yelled at the screen, calling him a stupid arsehole for not even coming out to talk to her, don't get me wrong. He should have at least talked to her. 

It feels like the ending of the film gives a recovering alcoholic a bottle of booze and makes them take a sip. I realize it's not meant to be that. I get it, the series was bleak enough, even though it never really got dark and edgy for the sake of being dark and edgy. I... just don't like it. 

That's even before going into the age and maturity difference and the fact that Gilbert was Violet's superior, teacher and surrogate father in unison during her time in the army, but that's just Japan/anime. 

Disclaimer: I know that comes across as me taking this way more seriously than it should be taken, but I can't help it, for a whole lot of reasons. 

Ceasar in the church, the cross heavy.

I didn't peek, I wanted to trick u tho

Edited by KP the meanie zucchini
  • Haha 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Just now, KP the meanie zucchini said:

Ceasar in the church, the cross heavy.

Reveal hidden contents

I didn't peek, I wanted to trick u tho

Man, that's SHIIIIIIISAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR! :p 

• Gasp! 1

Just now, majestic said:

Man, that's SHIIIIIIISAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR! :p 

AWAKEN MY MASTERS! WAAAAAMUUUUUUUUU!

• Haha 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

49 minutes ago, majestic said:

Hide contents

Spoiler

I totally get you and agree to a point, but I think Violet showed that she has grown and, by getting on the boat and leaving the island, that she could let go. On a more subjective note, I have learned to dislike sad endings as they just leave me devastated for a couple of days if the story is good and tbh I don't need that in my life.

If you haven't watched it I would recommend Girls' Last Tour to you. I think you will like it.

Edited by Sarex
  • Like 1

Violet Evergarden ep 8 + 9. Wow. If the last episode was a kick in the feels, this was the feels getting an asswhooping.  I think there were bits shown of this before, but putting them together just hits entirely different.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, KP the meanie zucchini said:

Violet Evergarden ep 8 + 9. Wow. If the last episode was a kick in the feels, this was the feels getting an asswhooping.  I think there were bits shown of this before, but putting them together just hits entirely different.

Meirei wo. Meirei wo! :(

I wonder how many takes Yui Ishikawa had to do for that scream she lets out after Violet's nightmare.

Spoiler

I really liked the imagery used at the end though, where Violet touches her pin, not the brooch, something she achieved on her own and wasn't given by Shousa Giruberuto. It's such a perfect visual representation for what she just went through.

There's also the level of care that went into creating Hodgins. The way he treats Violet, how he doesn't want to be called by his rank any more, it all starts making sense when you realize that he's been kept away from danger and promoted for victories he doesn't feel he earned, while his friend died, his reaction to Violet asking if she has any right to be alive at all, a question he can't exactly answer for himself either.

Edited by majestic
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, majestic said:

Meirei wo. Meirei wo! :(

I wonder how many takes Yui Ishikawa had to do for that scream she lets out after Violet's nightmare.

Reveal hidden contents

I really liked the imagery used at the end though, where Violet touches her pin, not the brooch, something she achieved on her own and wasn't given by Shousa Giruberuto. It's such a perfect visual representation for what she just went through.

There's also the level of care that went into creating Hodgins. The way he treats Violet, how he doesn't want to be called by his rank any more, it all starts making sense when you realize that he's been kept away from danger and promoted for victories he doesn't feel he earned, while his friend died, his reaction to Violet asking if she has any right to be alive at all, a question he can't exactly answer for himself either.

As much as the flashbacks ended up being a feel bodyslam, the visuals in the nightmare were something else. The way the blood started slowly dropping only to flood was creepy and really drives home Violet's repressed guilt over slaughtering tons of people in the war. And the breakdown where she breaks the lamp and almost breaks the dog plush or whatever is just chef's kiss. Then there's the sequence showing the effects she had on all the side characters she wrote letters for. I think the series could have ended here and been good tbh.

Since watching JoJo, this is the first thing I've heard DIO's VA in that isn't a relatively small part and/or villainous role. As much fun as it is memeing that every character he voices is just DIO, Claudia Hodgins is a great character and the delivery is where sometimes I forget to associate him with our favorite undead monster attached to his foster brother's body (probably because he isn't screaming every line like the best of Shatner). At first I thought he was going to be shipped with the head doll, but the more I've seen he's still dealing with the fallout of the war, just confused about what his place in the world is along with a ton of guilt.

Just watched episode 10 because insomnia. Violet breaking down in tears at the situation was a great way to show how she'd changed over the course of the series. And that sequence showing the girl growing up getting letters was just great.

On to 11, looks like back into war for Violet.

• Like 1

And that's a wrap for the series, guess it's the special then the movie.

Don't call me Daddy!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KP the meanie zucchini said:
Spoiler

As much as the flashbacks ended up being a feel bodyslam, the visuals in the nightmare were something else. The way the blood started slowly dropping only to flood was creepy and really drives home Violet's repressed guilt over slaughtering tons of people in the war. And the breakdown where she breaks the lamp and almost breaks the dog plush or whatever is just chef's kiss. Then there's the sequence showing the effects she had on all the side characters she wrote letters for. I think the series could have ended here and been good tbh.

Spoiler

It might have been a better ending than the one it has, but that's quite a debate. I liked most of the actual ending, but episode twelve was a little on the weaker side. Still, it did what it aimed to do, show what happens when you cannot let go of the conflict that defined your life for so long, and put Violet into the position to show that she really has learned to leave it behind. It also served Dietfried some necessary humble pie. It's a great wrap up to the series, but not as emotionally shaking as the middle.

The entire sequence with Violet staying in her room trying to come to terms with everything was wonderful, and that's including Cattleya coming to talk to her - and Mail Santa proves once again that he has an uncanny ability to be at the right place at the right time. Heh.

3 hours ago, KP the meanie zucchini said:
Spoiler

Since watching JoJo, this is the first thing I've heard DIO's VA in that isn't a relatively small part and/or villainous role. As much fun as it is memeing that every character he voices is just DIO, Claudia Hodgins is a great character and the delivery is where sometimes I forget to associate him with our favorite undead monster attached to his foster brother's body (probably because he isn't screaming every line like the best of Shatner). At first I thought he was going to be shipped with the head doll, but the more I've seen he's still dealing with the fallout of the war, just confused about what his place in the world is along with a ton of guilt.

Spoiler

In the light novel, Cattleya and Benedict end up being a couple. There are hints in the anime, like their bickering and when Cattleya asks Hodgins to take her out, which he can't because he bought Violet's brooch back  (or at least one that looks identical). She does that only after seeing Benedict and probably being mad at him for the noodle thing. Hodgins and Cattleya are friends, having both lost a lot in the war.

It's hard to get DIO out of the voice actor, of course, but he was also calm and collected in Utena. Albeit not really a heroic character, even though he likes to pretend that he is.

Most of the characters are great, even though it takes a while to realize that, or to know a bit about them. That Erica ends up writing Violet a letter with Iris is one of those. Erica, who defended Violet initially because she just sucked as much as her job as Violet.

3 hours ago, KP the meanie zucchini said:
Spoiler

Just watched episode 10 because insomnia. Violet breaking down in tears at the situation was a great way to show how she'd changed over the course of the series. And that sequence showing the girl growing up getting letters was just great.

Spoiler

Happy birthday, Ann.

That episode was something. First you get that emotional ending to Ann's storyline which managed to be both incredibly heartwarming and horribly sad at the same time, and when you thought it's over it ends with Violet crying her eyes out because she can empathize with Ann.

20 hours ago, Sarex said:
Spoiler

I totally get you and agree to a point, but I think Violet showed that she has grown and, by getting on the boat and leaving the island, that she could let go. On a more subjective note, I have learned to dislike sad endings as they just leave me devastated for a couple of days if the story is good and tbh I don't need that in my life.

Spoiler

I get that. Normally I'd agree, but the ending bothered me for a while. I watched the film before trying to sleep and ended up not sleeping at all.

20 hours ago, Sarex said:

If you haven't watched it I would recommend Girls' Last Tour to you. I think you will like it.

It's on Netflix and I ended up watching the first episode. Yuuri is voiced by Kayo-Chin from Love Live! (haha).

Anyway, there was something endearing about the two, even though I must admit that I absolutely hate the character aesthetics. I wonder what the 12 episodes are going to be about though, because while it was interesting to see them traverse an empty wasteland, I'm not sure that would stay interesting for much longer. :)

• Gasp! 1

42 minutes ago, majestic said:

It's on Netflix and I ended up watching the first episode. Yuuri is voiced by Kayo-Chin from Love Live! (haha).

Anyway, there was something endearing about the two, even though I must admit that I absolutely hate the character aesthetics. I wonder what the 12 episodes are going to be about though, because while it was interesting to see them traverse an empty wasteland, I'm not sure that would stay interesting for much longer.

Yeah I dislike the chibi style too... The manga had a pretty interesting story and I think the anime follows it mostly, so I would say give it another episode or two.

Speaking of chibi style, have you ever read Made in Abyss?

• Gasp! 1

More Vampire Princess Miyu...(1997) this time - a 26 episode show was made ten years after the original OVA, although it doesn't really look or feel like it, since art style, designs, sound effects are remarkably faithful to the original 1988 OVA (they even brought back Miyu's unique action sound effects, which is nice - very much feels like it was made with the original OVA strongly in mind). Three episodes into this one, feels like it has a lot more room to breathe without trying to cover some major story arc in such a short amount of time like the original OVA had to. It's also focused way more on Miyu herself and she is consistently the protagonist, which is nice. Oddly, it seems like this show takes place before the OVA - she seems younger and kinder in personality/perspective, and she's even still attending school (and has a few human friends!). So...kind of different from the OVA, but lots of similarities...enjoying it so far.

• Like 1
  • Gasp! 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

22 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

More Vampire Princess Miyu...(1997) this time - a 26 episode show was made ten years after the original OVA, although it doesn't really look or feel like it, since art style, designs, sound effects are remarkably faithful to the original 1988 OVA (they even brought back Miyu's unique action sound effects, which is nice - very much feels like it was made with the original OVA strongly in mind). Three episodes into this one, feels like it has a lot more room to breathe without trying to cover some major story arc in such a short amount of time like the original OVA had to. It's also focused way more on Miyu herself and she is consistently the protagonist, which is nice. Oddly, it seems like this show takes place before the OVA - she seems younger and kinder in personality/perspective, and she's even still attending school (and has a few human friends!). So...kind of different from the OVA, but lots of similarities...enjoying it so far.

Let me know if that's worthwhile to watch. It certainly looks nice.

I will probably start OCD'ing Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicle really soon. As soon as I have Girls' Last Tour wrapped up.

May or may not post more on Revolutionary Girl Utena too. The last two episodes and the movie sort of saved the preceeding episodes for me, even though it's still a horrible mess of bad pacing and needlessly opaque allegory, metaphor and imagery. That's not going to excuse the way it is set up, but it really becomes better in hindsight. Although, I wonder how many viewers those last two arcs lost while it was airing.

6 hours ago, Sarex said:

Speaking of chibi style, have you ever read Made in Abyss?

No, but any such questions are easily answered. The only manga I've read is Sailor Moon - and there only the first arc and bits and pieces of the third and fourth, and one graphic novel (A Dame To Kill For - and that only to make sense of the film). I never really got into comics for some reason, and by "for some reason" that's mostly because reading for entertainment is still a fairly new thing for me.

The anime is on Netflix though, so I might give that a try, when I have the time. Which is a little difficult lately, but should clear up really soon. :)

Edited by majestic
  • Gasp! 1

6 hours ago, Sarex said:

Yeah I dislike the chibi style too

Chibi.....Chibi?

23 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

More Vampire Princess Miyu

I vaguely remember watching an OVA, is there some dude wearing a mask in it?

7 minutes ago, majestic said:

May or may not post more on Revolutionary Girl Utena too.

PORANARUFU and KACKYOIN under the sea, their hands signing.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, KP the meanie zucchini said:

PORANARUFU and KACKYOIN under the sea, their hands signing.

Jotaro and the Empress, her teeth crushing. Platinum, his hands fast. :yes:

4 minutes ago, KP the meanie zucchini said:

Chibi.....Chibi?

1250276229_preview_girls-last-tour.jpg

Chibi? Chibi chibi! Chibi! 🤬

Edited by majestic
  • Gasp! 1

11 minutes ago, majestic said:

Jotaro and the Empress, her teeth crushing. Platinum, his hands fast. :yes:

The Stardust Crusaders, walking like Egyptians. DIO, his world cruel.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, KP the meanie zucchini said:

I vaguely remember watching an OVA, is there some dude wearing a mask in it?

Larva, her slave demon that's behind her in the poster I included in my previous post about the OVA?

f7lvv68hdyo51.jpg

There's also been a couple of other demons who have had masks associated with them, including one that was Majora's Mask-esque and whose entire being was infused into its mask.

42 minutes ago, majestic said:

Let me know if that's worthwhile to watch. It certainly looks nice.

It's weird and different, but not bad at all. The OVA was an especially strange watch with some digestibility and pacing oddities, but kept our interest long enough to finish its short run. The show in comparison has been a little more normal and definitely more focused and direct, but that's not entirely unwelcome after the quirkier OVA. Both the show and the OVA would probably have looked awesome in HD, but sadly, DVD only.

Spoiler

No kind or happy resolutions here - almost every episode of both the OVA and the show has ended in some of tragedy for someone or something, Miyu herself included.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

2 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Larva, her slave demon that's behind her in the poster I included in my previous post about the OVA?

Yeah, I think I already watched the OVA like 15 years ago before Blockbuster disappeared. I remember next to nothing about it lmao.

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, majestic said:

No, but any such questions are easily answered. The only manga I've read is Sailor Moon - and there only the first arc and bits and pieces of the third and fourth, and one graphic novel (A Dame To Kill For - and that only to make sense of the film). I never really got into comics for some reason, and by "for some reason" that's mostly because reading for entertainment is still a fairly new thing for me.

The anime is on Netflix though, so I might give that a try, when I have the time. Which is a little difficult lately, but should clear up really soon.

Huh, the opposite for me, nowadays I barely watch anime, but manga is a daily thing. I do like watching original anime that is good and some novel based anime, but I'm kind of wary of those as they almost always never finish the story.

9 minutes ago, KP the meanie zucchini said:

Yeah, I think I already watched the OVA like 15 years ago before Blockbuster disappeared. I remember next to nothing about it lmao.

Can't entirely blame you, it was a bit all over the place...

Spoiler

Especially because the OVA started with a completely different protagonist while Miyu initially served as a sort of semi-antagonist. It took its sweet time to explain more about her and Larva, and the final episode was focused entirely on her and how she became the "vampire princess" (a little misleading, especially because I don't think this title is ever even mentioned - she is a vampire, but her role is more "guardian against demons, no matter the cost to herself and everyone else" than anything princess-related). Unconventional story structure that sort of works, sort of doesn't...it helped that I took an instant liking to her as a character.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

18 minutes ago, Sarex said:

Huh, the opposite for me, nowadays I barely watch anime, but manga is a daily thing. I do like watching original anime that is good and some novel based anime, but I'm kind of wary of those as they almost always never finish the story.

I watched a lot of anime as a kid without knowing it was anime - just really anything that was on TV. Which, as it turns out, was actually quite a lot. Took a very long break after Sailor Moon (not Sailor Moon's fault). Only just recently started again with the Sailor Moon rewatch.

Regarding comics, I also barely had any exposure, unless you want to count me browsing through my father's Disney comic collection (there's a fairly long running series of German comics based on licensed Disney works from all around Europe). All of which I did before going to school at all. Come to think of it, I have no idea where those books are. Some of them were in fairly good condition, they should be worth something at least.

Edited by majestic
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Sarex said:

I'm trying to read more manga, but sometimes you get really into one and the translations just stop so yeah. At least it's consistent with anime just stopping when they outpace the manga lmao.

8 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Can't entirely blame you, it was a bit all over the place...

Hide contents

Especially because the OVA started with a completely different protagonist while Miyu initially served as a sort of semi-antagonist. It took its sweet time to explain more about her and Larva, and the final episode was focused entirely on her and how she became the "vampire princess" (a little misleading, especially because I don't think this title is ever even mentioned - she is a vampire, but her role is more "guardian against demons, no matter the cost to herself and everyone else" than anything princess-related). Unconventional story structure that sort of works, sort of doesn't...it helped that I took an instant liking to her as a character.

To be fair, I rented a ton of horror movies and anime from Blockbuster and remeber maybe 10% of them (I believe I may have mentioned one to you that I've been looking for, something about goblins and nuns and an anti-christ pope). The ones that left the biggest impression on me were Vampire Hunter D and Berserk, the latter of which I got out of order and kinda stumbled in on the Eclipse which was absolutely terrifying to 13 year old me. 

3 minutes ago, majestic said:

I watched a lot of anime as a kid without knowing it was anime - just really anything that was on TV

When I was real young and didn't have cable, I would watch DBZ early in the morning and Digimon on Saturdays. I didn't think of them as anime until I was around 12 or 13, come to think of it I didn't really think about movies and TV in terms of genre back then. Weird.

• Like 3