Anime: Emotions on a Rollercoaster

Amentep

Okay, now that makes sense, because...well, yeah, it was the season finale.

Spoiler

Garnet: Hm, really? Interesting. Well, that's all I'll say about that...for now.

Lapis: Unfortunately...

Spoiler

beeg spoiler

Spoiler

no really

Spoiler

*insert hawk-eye tongue gif here*

• Gasp! 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Oh, also, actually replying to what you said about Full Disclosure:

Spoiler

Steven's first mistake was listening to freaking Ronaldo. That's always bound to be an error. Steven is a little susceptible to trying too hard to protect others...even if it actually hurts them as well as himself in the process. Gotta let people be able to make their own decisions!

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

Episode 188:

Spoiler

Funny episode with all the mess inside a plane.🤣

We must be reaching the end of the season as one of the villains finally noticed that she can turn multiple people into zombies.

And it is also the episode when people see each other transforming with all the embarrassment that comes in the case of the Star Lights.

Even with all the transformations Siren just stays there complaining and ordering her minions. And... throwing drinks at the others?confused.png.32c5d2a072ecd70d1035086796733a11.png

Of course she was done. BDSM Cat replaced her.

Episode 189:

Spoiler

Luna says the Star Lights probably had a reason to hide their identities, as if it was something unusual. What? :lol:

Once again Usagi just wants to be friends with the others and people act with hostility.

Most of the time this season the other sailor senshi just appear to say “Now, Sailor Moon!” One or another will weaken the enemy but the others do nothing else.

Nice move Sailor Tin Cat shooting people on the back. Or whatever her name is, the Brazilian dub seems to just repeat the names as they are said in Japanese, so I never understand. Like “Lead Curow”, for example. Anyway, it is really satisfying when they hit someone who gets distracted talking.

Episode 190:

Spoiler

Is Chibi Chibi gone? Maybe she was absorbed by the scepter? And where is Hotaru?

Only now I noticed the xenophobic outer guardians have longer ribbons in their back. So they improved their transformations too?🤔

• Like 1

sign.jpg

10 hours ago, InsaneCommander said:

Episode 190:

Hide contents

Is Chibi Chibi gone? Maybe she was absorbed by the scepter? And where is Hotaru?

Only now I noticed the xenophobic outer guardians have longer ribbons in their back. So they improved their transformations too?🤔

Spoiler

Yes, in the very first episode of the season, Hotaru's reawakening upgrades the other three. :)

• Thanks 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

1 hour ago, HoonDing said:

How many episodes do you watch daily?

Rewatching City Hunter is gonna take me a half a year.

I started watching roughly early October last year (according to the date of the first post I made on the subject). I've seen 166 episodes, plus three movies that I'll count for 3 episodes apiece, for a total of 175. It's been approximately 140 days since I started watching, so 1.19 episodes a day.

• Hmmm 1

Near as I can tell I started watching on November 13th, 2020. I can't say exactly when because I watched a bunch before posting about it, but I was done with Sailor Moon Crystal by March 6th, so that gives me 114 days for 200 episodes of Sailor Moon, 39 episodes of Sailor Moon Crystal and so far 1 episode of Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon.

Not counting any JoJo's, Cardcaptor Sakura or Puella Magi Madoka Magica episodes that's 2.1 episode per day. Huh. I also watched the S and SuperS movie and like half of the R movie, so it's a bit higher, all in all, but yeah, that's about it. :)

2 hours ago, HoonDing said:

How many episodes do you watch daily?

When I watch it two or three, but I don't watch everyday so it probably evens out. I'm too lazy to calculate episodes per day lmao

• Haha 1
  • Gasp! 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

Episode 1 of Sailor Stars!

Spoiler

Too much time spent on Nehellenia and whoever the other lady is (...Galaxia, I think majestic said?) as well as fighting, but otherwise a nice episode. Haruka and Michiru being silly together is always a lot more fun than when they're being inexplicably antagonistic. And I guess they haven't seen Pluto since she died (even though they all appeared in the SuperS movie together...silly non-canon movies!).

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

giphy.gif

12 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Hide contents

Too much time spent on Nehellenia and whoever the other lady is (...Galaxia, I think majestic said?) as well as fighting, but otherwise a nice episode. Haruka and Michiru being silly together is always a lot more fun than when they're being inexplicably antagonistic. And I guess they haven't seen Pluto since she died (even though they all appeared in the SuperS movie together...silly non-canon movies!).

Spoiler

Yes, the disembodied voice that freed Nehelenia so the writers can wait a bit for the manga to come out was Galaxia. The scene where Haruka and Michiru wonder about Pluto being back makes placing the SuperS movie somewhere in the anime timeline really awkward. The only place for it to go would be right after the first episode of Sailor Stars (and ignore the missing 6 year old verison of Hotaru and the Outer Senshi power upgrades they just got).

• Haha 1
  • Gasp! 1

Steven Universe - Say Uncle

Spoiler

Uhm. Okay. What was that? You mentioned Cartoon Network interference, so it wasn't just a drug induced mass psychosis in the creative team that caused this. Okay, april fools, sure, but... uhm.

So bro, I don't worry, this isn't canon. Does that apply to everything that happened in this episode?

edit: Going back to Open Book for a moment, I liked how Steven enjoyed the sappy ending and Connie didn't. Feels a bit like my life. :p

Steven Universe - Story for Steven

Spoiler

So this is the last one of the episodes that were apparently supposed to be in season 1 but weren't, for... reasons. Was nice to see Megara Rose a bit. I can sing! Oh boy Pearl, are you in for a disappointment there. Unless I misunderstood Rose's Scabbard completely. Ah, well... :)

Edited by majestic
  • Like 1

Yeah...I warned you. I'm so sorry - I had one of those Dr. Phil seizures...

9Lzp4QG.gif

yep, there he goes again

...when I watched that episode for the first time. Luckily, that's the only episode of the entire series that's like...that. That's what we call a """crossover""" episode - or, more pragmatically put, a network-forced advertisement for a completely unrelated show that the Crewniverse (name for the SU development team) were trying to do their best to roll with and make not completely insufferable. This is an episode I haven't seen since the first time I watched the show - I skipped it on my previous rewatch. For you, I'll rewatch it.

Spoiler

I didn't remember him killing Lars and Sadie, but I guess that's a thing that happened.

if nothing else I love Insano!Pearl in this episode

03.%20Say%20Uncle.mkv_snapshot_04.57.906

also I can't remember if Steven actually learns the lesson he got from this episode in the show or not lmao

Edited by Bartimaeus

Episode 191:

Spoiler

Chibi Chibi is back and apparently using psychotropics. And “Chibi2” is written in her slipper.🤣

Btw, I forgot to mention earlier that she literally mopped the floor with a monster in her transformation episode. And she wasn’t even transformed yet!

Video game competition and Makoto loses to a little kid. But Ami uses her brain and wins even though she never played fighting games.

Minako and Rei refused to transform because they wanted to fight with the costumes they were wearing.

Episode 192:

Spoiler

Minako finally gets her chance to become a star. Usagi, obviously, arrives late and gets lost, missing everything.

But did she take the chance in the end, or did she leave it for later because she wanted to help the girls to fight the enemy?

Episode 193:

Spoiler

Nyanko doesn’t have a rival? Did she ever meet with Iron Mouse?

Seiya doesn’t like to wear women’s clothes. How ironical. Which reminds me, the girls were disappointed when they found out the three lights “are girls”. But they seem to be men most of the time and in all aspects. Why were they disappointed?:shrugz:

Why is everyone rushing to the enemy with a whip???

sign.jpg

1 hour ago, Bartimaeus said:

Hide contents

The beginning of the season is different. Later it will come back to normal episodes.

• Like 2
  • Gasp! 1

sign.jpg

9 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Yeah...I warned you. I'm so sorry - I had one of those Dr. Phil seizures...

9Lzp4QG.gif

yep, there he goes again

...when I watched that episode for the first time. Luckily, that's the only episode of the entire series that's like...that. That's what we call a """crossover""" episode - or, more pragmatically put, a network-forced advertisement for a completely unrelated show that the Crewniverse (name for the SU development team) were trying to do their best to roll with and make not completely insufferable. This is an episode I haven't seen since the first time I watched the show - I skipped it on my previous rewatch. For you, I'll rewatch it.

Reveal hidden contents

I didn't remember him killing Lars and Sadie, but I guess that's a thing that happened.

if nothing else I love Insano!Pearl in this episode

03.%20Say%20Uncle.mkv_snapshot_04.57.906

also I can't remember if Steven actually learns the lesson he got from this episode in the show or not lmao

Yeah, everything was hyperexaggerated. The crossover part was completely lost on me of course.

X-Files had a couple of crossover episodes too, one named X-COPS (although that might have been more of a homage than a crossover) and another one with a character called Munch that appeared on Law and Order and a bunch of other police procedurals that I don't watch.  The spin-offs The Lone Gunmen and Millennium get a crossover episode to finish their story arcs as both were cancelled.

Except for the Millennium one I got none of those. :)

The only good crossover episodes I've seen so far are from Stargate, and those are "crossovers" from the same universe that are just set at different locations (but the shows ran concurrently), so that doesn't really count, huh? *shrug*

The X-Files/Cops episode is actually pretty great, though, :p.

Spoiler

Susan Egan (Megara) as Rose Quartz was such a great choice - her voice is like the definition of musical. And yeah, Steven loving the sappy ending whilst Connie hated it is totally on-character, :).

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, InsaneCommander said:

Episode 191:

Hide contents

Chibi Chibi is back and apparently using psychotropics. And “Chibi2” is written in her slipper.🤣

Btw, I forgot to mention earlier that she literally mopped the floor with a monster in her transformation episode. And she wasn’t even transformed yet!

Video game competition and Makoto loses to a little kid. But Ami uses her brain and wins even though she never played fighting games.

Minako and Rei refused to transform because they wanted to fight with the costumes they were wearing.

Episode 192:

Hide contents

Minako finally gets her chance to become a star. Usagi, obviously, arrives late and gets lost, missing everything.

But did she take the chance in the end, or did she leave it for later because she wanted to help the girls to fight the enemy?

Episode 193:

Hide contents

Nyanko doesn’t have a rival? Did she ever meet with Iron Mouse?

Seiya doesn’t like to wear women’s clothes. How ironical. Which reminds me, the girls were disappointed when they found out the three lights “are girls”. But they seem to be men most of the time and in all aspects. Why were they disappointed?:shrugz:

Why is everyone rushing to the enemy with a whip???

191: This is a really weird one. Especially...

Spoiler

Ami's costume, are you telling me Ami would actually wear that skimpy fanservice thing?

192: I thought was really great because...

Spoiler

It shows how much they all care, and Usagi getting lost in a TV studio was a hilarious throwback to Mamoru's side job.  :p

193: Well... not much to say about this one, but the next one is going to be both completely hilarious and heartbreaking.

Spoiler

At least... if you care one bit about either Usagi or Seiya, or both. Damn. :(

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

The X-Files/Cops episode is actually pretty great, though, :p.

Hide contents

Susan Egan (Megara) as Rose Quartz was such a great choice - her voice is like the definition of musical. And yeah, Steven loving the sappy ending whilst Connie hated it is totally on-character, :).

Maybe it really is, but having never seen Cops I wondered what the hell was going on the entire time when I first saw it. Which, admittedly, has been a while.

Spoiler

I also really liked how he was worried about Connie being judgemental about him liking the end. I can totally relate to that... ah. I might be only in season 2, but this is great. Thanks again. :)

• Like 1

Not-a-Hack-Fraud Status officially confirmed, 😎.

Episode 2 of Sailor Stars:

Spoiler

THE OTHER GIRLS ACTUALLY ASKING ABOUT HOW USAGI AND MAMORU ARE DOING BECAUSE THEY'RE HER BEST FRIENDS AND SEE THAT USAGI IS VISIBLY DOWN AND IT NOT JUST BEING TREATED AS AN ANNOYING JOKE? Wow! After an entire season of them basically telling her to shut and shove it anytime Mamoru's name is brought up, that's a marked change - even if it was understandable given how obnoxious she was being in SuperS.

Uh. Dude. Hotaru just called...just called them "Mommy Michiru", "Mommy Setsuna", and..."Daddy Haruka". There appears to be some point of confusion on Hotaru's part. ...Well, even kid Hotaru is still pretty emo, turns out.

Having to exorcise a demon from your own mirror - not cool, Nehellenia.

"You think there's someone behind the scenes orchestrating all of this?"
*literally immediately attacked by a thousand goons that just apparated out of nowhere*
Yeah, I guess that might be the case, Makoto.

Okay yeah, this arc feels really out of place. We're just two episodes in and we're already getting #EPICTEAMWORK moments where even all the Outer Guardians join in, and Hotaru went from a baby to a full guardian already. Weird stuff, :).

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Not-a-Hack-Fraud Status officially confirmed, 😎.

Episode 2 of Sailor Stars:

Hide contents

THE OTHER GIRLS ACTUALLY ASKING ABOUT HOW USAGI AND MAMORU ARE DOING BECAUSE THEY'RE HER BEST FRIENDS AND SEE THAT USAGI IS VISIBLY DOWN AND IT NOT JUST BEING TREATED AS AN ANNOYING JOKE? Wow! After an entire season of them basically telling her to shut and shove it anytime Mamoru's name is brought up, that's a marked change - even if it was understandable given how obnoxious she was being in SuperS.

Uh. Dude. Hotaru just called...just called them "Mommy Michiru", "Mommy Setsuna", and..."Daddy Haruka". There appears to be some point of confusion on Hotaru's part. ...Well, even kid Hotaru is still pretty emo, turns out.

Having to exorcise a demon from your own mirror - not cool, Nehellenia.

"You think there's someone behind the scenes orchestrating all of this?"
*literally immediately attacked by a thousand goons that just apparated out of nowhere*
Yeah, I guess that might be the case, Makoto.

Okay yeah, this arc feels really out of place. We're just two episodes in and we're already getting #EPICTEAMWORK moments where even all the Outer Guardians join in, and Hotaru went from a baby to a full guardian already. Weird stuff, :).

Spoiler

I'm not sure the writers really needed a filler arc for the manga to get some issues out in this seaon. That's the obvious, surface level reason. The real reason? It's an six episode long apology for SuperS. Everything, right from the start, feels like "hey we could have written this right after Sailor Moon S but we weren't allowed to", even if some of the story beats that are coming up are on the, uhm, weaker side.

It's also less of a filler arc and more of an epilogue or extended ending to SuperS. That's why there's #epicteamwork, and copious amounts of power upgrades and breakneck pacing... so everything that's usually at the end of a season.

Hotaru calling Haruka Haruka-papa was hilarious and probably more a joke because her pretending to be a man wasn't really a plot point in S like it was in Crystal. She was mistaken for a man by the Sailor Dum-Dums and Yuichiro, but eh... does that count? Nah.

I know there are some people who take this as a reason to think that Haruka and Michiru have a butch/femme relationship with heteronormative undertones but... not really buying that.  Why would the writers want, feel the need to or be forced to include that in a show with homosexual villains, implied incest, rape analogies, and a pedophile horse with a horn to rub? Huh. Nah.

I'm super, super curious what you'll think of the season as a whole. Have I said that already? xD

Edited by majestic
  • Like 1
  • Gasp! 1