Next Project

It's probably too late to incorporate a whole lot of fan suggestions in KOTOR:TSL.

However, that doesn't mean that Obsidian has to leave it's fans hanging high and dry.

They've got another concept in mind for their second project. My guess is that it's another RPG. I'm also betting it's a new setting. What would we like to see? What kind of suggestions can they implement in their next project?

(Don't scream about doing FO3, or KOTOR:3. This thead is for suggestions on the basis that the project will be a new IP)

nice effort, man... but without any further info on the "other project" from the devs, it ain't much use talking about this.

I'd like to see an rpg where you have the option to skip the majority of combat- whether by talking your way out of it, running away, sneaking, bribing, surrendering or feinting death

i'd also like to see an rpg where you'd be able to recruit gazillions of companions- i am thinking suikoden here, with all of them being able to join you- wanna walk around with a party of 20? no problem. this was in some ways nicely done in ToEE, but the guys wouldn't stick around ;)

it would (again) be also nice to have an rpg where EVERYTHING you do has an effect on how you are treated- stealing from someones house would just effect your "karma" in bad ways, but it would actually make the house owner hostile, the authorities suspicious etc.

i'm not asking for an rpg that features ALL of this - just one of those would be quite fine with me.

It's very hard to be polite if you're a cat.

Fallout had a nifty system of karma and reputations. I'd like to see something similiar if not something even further developed along those lines.

In general, I really hope Obsidian works harder to incorporate fan suggestions and possibily fan content (create a NPC) in their next project.

• 2 weeks later...

I can think of a lot of things that would be great for a new IP (personally, I could live without another fallout, *gasp* the horror! :rolleyes: As long as Obsidian could distance themselves from Bioware, that is. I think that if Obsidian grew up as a child to Bioware, then all of its RPGs would be basically bioware RPGs under a different name. Bioware is a great company, but I for one am ready for a bit of change.

Well, one thing I really want is choice in a game. Not to much choice (aka Morrowind), but enough so the story feels character driven (I probably didn't have that much choice of what to do in PS:T, but I sure felt like I did!)

"I'm waiting for someone to say something really stupid, and then I can quote them." -Anonymous

I'd like an RPG that uses most of the neat design choices that Jefferson used. Such as being able to talk to people who are hostile, the epithets, etc. Several factions that give either roleplaying, or material benefits, or both. Reactive world, where your reputation and actions actually mean something. I'd also like the following features:

Fantasy RPG:

A growing town, one you can contribute to that will grow throughout the game with new immigrants and such, and you can have buildings built there that you would own and be able to customize, giving you something other than magic items to spend all your money on.

Rare magic. If you're a wizard, I want people to be awed, I want the magic items you find to be priceless artifacts, etc. The damage you deal should be based on your skill, not how beefed up your weapon is.

Sci-Fi RPG:

Tech level: more of a Babylon 5 tech level, with jumpgates rather than hyperdrive.

Customizable transportation. Be able to customize the look, style, options, etc. of your stronghold vehicle (space ship kinda thing)

option to mechanically augment your body, which shows on your avatar.

I guess the growing town thing could also apply here, only it would be more like a space station port kind of thing.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

There used to be several games out there with growing town type atmospheres. Unfortunately as graphics took over as the main draw to games, things like that became more difficult. Now people settle for below par gameplay in exchange for extremely realistic looking people. Hopefully a compromise can be found though, because a growing town type is something Ive been wanting in a game for a while too. (And I dont mean Sim City style crap).

There used to be several games out there with growing town type atmospheres. Unfortunately as graphics took over as the main draw to games, things like that became more difficult. Now people settle for below par gameplay in exchange for extremely realistic looking people. Hopefully a compromise can be found though, because a growing town type is something Ive been wanting in a game for a while too. (And I dont mean Sim City style crap).

Breath of Fire, Suikoden, and Dragon Warrior VII were the only ones I could think of with that kind of thing. Though Breath of Fire started to go downhill with the whole Fairy town thing. BoF2 did it best in the series. I like the way Suikoden does it, though I'd like a bit more customization.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Here are my thoughts, very general but what the heck:

Use a RPG setting that HASN'T been done to death. That means no pseudo-medieval magic crap.

Some examples of potentially good RPG settings that haven't been touched:

Wild West - The American frontier was freakin' HUGE, and just plain crazy for 50+ years. You could go into business, find a gold or silver mine, join the Cavalry, bounty hunt, rob banks/stagecoaches/trains, gamble, gunfight, or just plain scout dangerous territories.

"Hard" Sci-Fi - Non-magical, theoretically semi-plausible deep space adventures in the distant future. Explore strange worlds, meet interesting aliens, and maybe shoot them in the face with directed-energy weapons.

Present day espionage - This actually has alot of potential. You could get general missions, and figure out different ways of accomplishing them based on your team's skills. For instance, if you had to get information about a terrorist group, you could break into their compound and steal it, join the group and have them give you the info willingly, capture one of their flunkies and interrogate him for it, and so on.

I think that, by and large, talented game makers can make a good game out of just about any setting, within reason.

System

An extended version of the good old SPECIAL system would be a lot better than the corset system aka D&D.

Combat

Everyone will agree that TOEE had great combat, but going for TB combat seems to be wishful thinking nowadays. But maybe, just maybe, you will think about it after the KotOR 2 RT overdose.

Scenario

Everything but Fantasy. Had enough of it for quite a while. There are so many tales to tell in a Sci-Fi scenario, just think of Gateway, Neuromancer or Asimov's robot stories.

these are the settings id like to see:

a transformers rpg where... ive got no idea if this goes anywhere, i was just looking at oerwhindes avatar. but transformers are undeniably cool.

a dune rpg. for some reason i like the whole notion of wars between ultra-powerful families as in dune or in some fantasy books which had drow families. plus i guess nostalgia from dune2 influenced me perhaps.

neither of these are original ip though so for original ip... hmm....

some form of dark noirish setting would be good.

If you liked Transformers, then give Xenogears on the Playstation a try. It was an RPG that featured hand-to-hand combat, and giant robot combat as well. The 'Gears were large mechs. The storyline is good (though quite dark) and combat featured a system of combos that you could unlock.

More important than the setting is how it is used:

-how you design the character affects how the game actually plays in a SIGNIFICANT way

-allows multiple approaches to problems

-your choices affect the wider game world and how you relate to it (beyond "you just saved the universe!" at the end)

-karma/reputation based on your actions affects how you relate to the game world

-choices other than the "right"/"good" one should actually be tempting

-a storyline that isn't numbingly obvious from the get-go

-no cutesy humor in inappropriate places involving dingy broads or miniature giant space hamsters, or arrogant ice **** heroines who become arrogant ice **** villainesses only to (maybe) become slightly less arrogant ice **** heroines again, or whining sissy-boys who are supposedly tough-guy Fighter classes...

It would be interesting seeing some game, using the mechanics of Jefferson.

Short of that, some game incorporating what I personally liked most about a couple of older titles. I liked the "perceived" freedom of FO2, as well as the NPC control of that game (seriously, I liked the idea of just giving the guys guidelines and let them handle themselves in combat). Add an interesting background story/overall plot like PS:T (not the same plot, but an interesting one).

As for setting ? Anything from historical Aztecs to Bladerunner will do... B)

If anybody writes the words "Real Time Combat" anywhere on the box, it stays on the shelf. Thats where I become completely irrational :angry:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

It's Gorth! ;) I thought you skipped town :ph34r:

:p

Not quite. I just spent last month travelling around my old home country on the other side of the world. When I got back, it was (or rather is) crunch time at work with some important deadlines for our current project comming up.... :ph34r:

That means, for the next 3-4 weeks, I'll just add random (and often completely irrelevant) comments on subjects I havent kept track of ;)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

It's Gorth! :lol: I thought you skipped town  :ph34r:

Not quite. I just spent last month travelling around my old home country on the other side of the world. When I got back, it was (or rather is) crunch time at work with some important deadlines for our current project comming up.... :ph34r:

That means, for the next 3-4 weeks, I'll just add random (and often completely irrelevant) comments on subjects I havent kept track of ;)

I'm jealous. I need to get out my country and travel more.

It's good to see you back!

Grr.

I think that's a GREAT idea. I can see the multiple paths that different approaches can take. I can see some good drama here. I'm picturing Corleones and Sullivans.

Now someone just needs to make it.

Non-linear (Fallout 2)

Freedom (Morrowind) and not only in the game, but in the modification.

Graphically accurate (3Ds Max 6)

LOADS of outfit items, (and LOADS to be put at once, like: 20 rings, a few medallions, pants, skirt, shirt, robe, shoes, arm bands, hat, visor, mask, armour, accessories like different kinds of belts, to be put on at the same time, of course, and all that stuff.)

LOADS of property to be owned (aka Morrowind mods)

Good stealth (and steals)

Good physics engine (Doom3, JA)

Realistic materials of precious metals (gold, silver, platinum)

Good financial system

PC owned NPCs (slaves, hired servants, etc.)

Potential for infinite experience (aka Morrowind)

Oh yeah, one major thing forgotten:

Total control over PC's animation (including complicated console scripts to perform series of movements if necessary.)

An RPG were you a experianced game developer working for a new outfit that has taken over a very popular game and you have to get it out!

A mini-game could be going to the fan forums and trying not to give anything away.