I'm not aware of one, but it certainly sounds like an interesting idea (I had a spear+shield build in Tyranny, and I just finished watching a Bronze Age youtube video). I'll try to work on one today, and I'll also keep tabs on this thread in case anyone else chimes in before I do again.

Edited by thelee

There is an awesome spear called "Stalker's Patience" which would be the spear I would be aiming for if I wanted to do a spear & shield build. 

Does it have to be a single class rogue or are multiclasses (like Rogue/Ranger, Rogue/Monk and so on) also ok? Or even multiclasses that seem roguish bit actually contain no rogue class (like a Ranger/Monk and so on)?

Because Stalker's Patience has an enchantment that gives the spear che chance to omit recovery on crit. Combined with Monk's Swift Flurry and Heartbeat Drumming (which can lead to a cascading flurry of crits) this enchantment can trigger quite often especially on lower difficulties then Path of the Damned. It can be a ton of fun. I would advise to use small shields then to avoid any ACC malus. 

Another good direction - but on the tanky side - is an Unbroken/Trickster with spear and shield. Spears have a fitting modal that helps with the engagement. Trickster delivers damage but also a deflection boot. 

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

just as a first blush for some ideas to chew on, i think the biggest concern you'd have is that spears don't have a modal that gives you bonus PEN, which can be a big deal.

monks and berserkers are the only classes i can think of that have an easy source of tier 2+ might inspiration. chanters and priest can also get one, but it comes later. you'd have action economy issues with a priest, though, unless you pick up skaen or wael as a subclass (either of which would be good for a mobile glass cannon-y build).

if you're starting with rogue (with shield!) that also implies a riposte build.

tuolito's palm would work monk or any build using monastic unarmed training to let you dual-wield with a spear and a shield. there are other brawling shields as well, tuolito's is just a popular pick because of its synergy with monk fists and monastic unarmed training.

Sorry, I edited my post above why you were answering. 

A Rogue/Monk can indeed use Tuotilo's Palm. I guess it's the best small shield option if Monk's involved. 

Edited by Boeroer

13 minutes ago, Boeroer said:

There is an awesome spear called "Stalker's Patience" which would be the spear I would be aiming for if I wanted to do a spear & shield build. 

Does it have to be a single class rogue or are multiclasses (like Rogue/Ranger, Rogue/Monk and so on) also ok? Or even multiclasses that seem roguish bit actually contain no rogue class (like a Ranger/Monk and so on)?

Because Stalker's Patience has an enchantment that gives the spear che chance to omit recovery on crit. Combined with Monk's Swift Flurry and Heartbeat Drumming (which can lead to a cascading flurry of crits) this enchantment can trigger quite often especially on lower difficulties then Path of the Damned. It can be a ton of fun. I would advise to use small shields then to avoid any ACC malus. 

Another good direction - but on the tanky side - is an Unbroken/Trickster with spear and shield. Spears have a fitting modal that helps with the engagement. Trickster delivers damage but also a deflection boot. 

Im not looking for spec. rouge class but some that feels agile and not "tankish". but im not sure how the diffrent classes work, so any build tips are helpful :) 

i guess a question for OP is what thematically or for RP purposes they are going for? something tankier? something more like an agile skirmisher? unbroken/trickster does sounds like a good synergistic build but would not be great if what one wanted was something more like a fast shock troop instead of more a tank.

edit - also a target difficulty. i'm used to running potd so my mind skews heavily towards addressing penetration issues, which is much less of a big deal on normal difficulty (and important but not as important on veteran). in my experience pen is the biggest impediment for a decent spear build on PotD, even with stalker's patience in tow. (same goes for some other similar weapons)

Edited by thelee

16 minutes ago, Boeroer said:

Sorry, I edited my post above why you were answering. 

A Rogue/Monk can indeed use Tuotilo's Palm. I guess it's the best small shield option if Monk's involved. 

this sound very interesting, would it be any way to show what feets and skills and lvl i have to pick ? like starting roug lvl 1 or monk..  as i say im quite new to the game and im not sure i know how the full mechanism works. like if there was a "charater build" on a the net where u can share them ?

14 minutes ago, Kenneth E Skydt said:

this sound very interesting, would it be any way to show what feets and skills and lvl i have to pick ? like starting roug lvl 1 or monk..  as i say im quite new to the game and im not sure i know how the full mechanism works. like if there was a "charater build" on a the net where u can share them ?

sorry we are probably overwhelming you with jargon.

tuolito's palm is a special small shield that everyone likes for monks or for the talent "monastic unarmed training" (which gives other non-monks kinda-monk fists). it gets all the special damage bonuses that monks get. so not only is it a shield, which you can enhance with "weapon and shield" weapon style, it also is a weapon so you can benefit from "two weapon style." It also has an advantage in that you just buy it at a store, so you can buy it as soon as you have enough money instead of waiting to do some high-level quest.

a quick-and-dirty and totally-not-optimized example of the monk/rogue suggestion might be a trickster/helwalker.

level 1: escape (rogue), swift strikes (monk). Pick as your proficiencies: spear and small shield
level 2: fast runner (rogue)
level 3: lesser wounds (monk)
level 4: two weapon style (rogue), weapon and shield style (monk)
etc...

trickster gives you some bonus spells that help you debuff enemies and also protect yourself: mirror image and ryngrim's repulsive visage are extremely helpful, because helwalker can get extremely squishy.

you would max out your dexterity, and put some into resolve (prefer resolve, because defense has increasing returns and becomes more valuable the more you have) and int. helwalker gets huge bonuses to might so that's less important.

forbidden fist might also be a good monk choice because it synergizes with the need to use a shield and have decent resolve, but i think it might be a bit too skill-intensive for a new player since you could easily kill yourself (though tbf the same is true for helwalker).

Edited by thelee

If you take Swift Flurry (for those sweet crit-chains which lead to Stalker's Patience omitting recovery) you also want high Percerption (because high PER = more Accuracy = more crits). High Perceptionon the main character is good anyways because the official companions don't have too high PER - and you need at least one in your party with high PER in order to find all traps and secrets.

Street fighter + Forbidden Fist could also be fun. Using spears and shields means you can get lots of engagements which can help you if you want to get in to the thick of combat. There are some pretty cool items that compliment this style (a ring and some heavy armor that can actually be faster than most light armors). Street fighter is a bit advanced for new players but you can get some pretty great attack speed. Because of Forbidden Fist you will want lots of Resolution (which makes it easier for newer players to survive difficult situations, and on lower difficulty will get you Riposte attacks) and Perception for crits. The other stats can all stay around 10 (Street Fighter can attack super fast even without Dex).

Remember you can always respec your abilities later if you want to but your class and attributes are permanent. 

2 minutes ago, mepp22 said:

a ring and some heavy armor that can actually be faster than most light armors

I guess you mean Entonia Signet Ring? 

Keep in mind that its effect is not based on how many enemies you currently engage. It's the other way round: how many enemies engage you?
If the enemies have no engagement/do not engage for whatever reason then the ring doesn't do anything.

1 hour ago, Boeroer said:

I guess you mean Entonia Signet Ring? 

Keep in mind that its effect is not based on how many enemies you currently engage. It's the other way round: how many enemies engage you?
If the enemies have no engagement/do not engage for whatever reason then the ring doesn't do anything.

I mean you kind of will get both. When more engage you it means that you can engage more( if you have enough engagements) which is what you want for the armor.

Contender Armor or the Reckless Brigandine. The latter even gives you more engagement.

Since you wanted less of a tankish character (who are usually the ones having lots of engagement slots) and light armor I personally would recommend something else. But it also depends on what you have in mind - I mean visually or which general look and feel you are after. Reckless Brigandine and Contender's are in Huana style. 

C's Armor comes late (DLC), R's Brigandine is hard to rush because it's guarded rather heavily.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dgray62 said:

Mepp22, do you mean the Contender's Armor with maxed Athletics?

I meant Reckless Brigandine. It is pretty well guarded but its not the hardest fight and you can aim to pick it up in the mid game with out much difficulty. The Contender's Armor is probably the best Armor for almost any DPS style build but it comes so late that someone new to the game shouldn't make a build specifically for it. 

4 hours ago, Boeroer said:

Contender Armor or the Reckless Brigandine. The latter even gives you more engagement.

They both actually give an extra engagement. 

I also think both actually look pretty good on a gladiator style character.

• Like 1

If you have a Rogue you can get Reckless Briganine very early with a bit of "hit and run": use Gouging Strike (or the Lover's Embrace Dagger from stealth if you don't wnt/don't have Gouging Strike) and hit the Ancient Huana Deathguard who's wearing it. Then use Smoke Veil (this is kind of mandatory) and retrat to the entrance of the dungeon. Move the combat speed slider to "fast" and wait until the death guard is killed.

I would pick Smoke Veil anyway since it's an awesome ability and the only invisibility effect (besides Vanishing Strikes) that doesn't break from ticks of DoTs (damage over time effects like Gouging Strike etc.). Even if you don't use Backstab or are an Assassin it's nice to have it as emergency button in order to let enemies lose interest completely. 

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 2