Coronavirus: Triple Edition

Amentep

am agreeing with hurl pov, but the no child left behind mandate doesn't actually make exceptions for the willful obtuse. 

"for the student with a language obstacle or learning disability am suspecting most o' us have greater sympathy, but the stubborn and obtuse student is failing to learn no less than does the kid with serious dyslexia."

that said, am reassured to discover hurl is not wasting effort on those indulge their ignorant impulses and, beyond all reason, choose to wallow in their own crapulence. 

and again, if such comically challenged learners didn't exist, we would need create 'em. nobody here makes the obvious fail regarding 94%? well, we would need create some kinda improbable science challenged yutz to illustrate the silliness o' the trump retweet. some clown decides cdc handwashing guidelines is foolish 'cause he is already wearing a mask in public could only exist in our imagination... until such a reason fail manifested for reals and convenient before us to serve as an object lesson o' ignorance. not gonna take vaccine so as to save dose for a person with a higher priority than self, a vaccine which is only gonna be effective at stopping pandemic if enough people take it?

*chuckle*

understandable, hurl can't pick on the obtuse 'mongst his flock to serve as living illustrations o' ignorance. more's the pity.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

On 9/1/2020 at 10:01 PM, ShadySands said:

Sorry, I didn't actually mean that as a serious 1 to 1 example. I'm just unwilling to trust anything that's rushed out the gate, especially by this administration. Sure, it's an irrational fear but I'm also afeared of sharks and lightning.

If all the right experts sign off on it and none of the first volunteers sprout a 3rd or 1st testicle then by all means stick that dope in my arm.

am knowing this were already responded to but with trump promising all americans will receive vaccine by april, am reminded o' shady concerns and what actual went down with the polio vaccine. the polio vaccine which crippled many thousands and killed too many were not flawed, as hard as that may be to believe. if the polio vaccine had been produced as designed, it woulda' been ok... or at least the side effects woulda' fallen within the unfortunate unavoidable but nevertheless acceptable range o' almost negligible incidence per hundred thousands. the thing is, at the time, there were insufficient oversight on the production end o' the vaccine. 

the polio vaccine were safe. what were being shipped out the door and injected into the arms o' children nationwide were not the polio vaccine as designed.

we trust dr. fauci. we actual trust the process concocted by darpa folks years ago in anticipation o' producing a vaccine quick and safe if the US were ever faced with a serious pandemic. the thing is, the scientists such as fauci won't be the folks doing oversight o' production o' the vaccine and no matter how safe is the vaccine, if quality control fails in enough numbers am unsure what will be the results. likely end up with ineffective vaccine as 'posed to deadly, but...

am wondering how many trump voters genuine believe the current administration will take a safety first approach to regulation and oversight? 

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

*chuckle*

mic drop moment?

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gfted1 said:

We should all buy one of these masks. Too bad its not available in more colors, red would be snazzy!

If my experiences with running around wearing gas masks during civil defense exercises are any guideline, that guy will be screwed once the weather turns cold. He can either set the fan to max ventilation (and catch a cold) or not being able to look out through the transparent parts ;)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

If you touch the outside of the elbow, shouldn't be too much of an issue, well or you can use your bicep, I guess. 

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

8 minutes ago, Amentep said:

Or, you know, just not touch.

Well we're assuming here that a touch is necessary.  Funny that I've been socially distancing for so long due to, as I walk a lot, I am wary of sneezers.  Also pays to stay out of striking distance.

• Hmmm 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

1 minute ago, Amentep said:

I was mostly going on the picture, sneeze in elbow then tough elbows...

Fair enough then.  You win this round.

Next time, though...

• 2 weeks later...

hour long, but if you still have a covid-19 question, you should find an answer... even if you do not necessarily like the answer. am not providing a comprehensive rundown o' topics, but video addresses vaccines (including how safety is established) and timelines for an anticipated return to something approaching normalcy as well as what is meant by aerosolization, rates o' infection which lead to asymptomatic and hospitalizations, "second wave" nomenclature, models projecting death for the winter, how to approach holiday travel, and the disproportionate impact o' covid-19 on minority communities. 

• Thanks 1

On 9/25/2020 at 8:56 AM, Skarpen said:

Just another example of the idiocy around this virus histeria.

Do Trumpies not understand humor? Just asking for a friend. 😛

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I really don't get the strong opposition to wearing a mask.

I'm not a medical expert by any means, but... Why does anyone care so much about having to wear a mask? It's an extremely small annoyance at the very worst, unless you have some extreme medical condition I guess.

I GET the opposition to the lockdown, makes good practical sense to not want to trash the economy, but, why exactly is wearing a mask a big deal?

• Like 1

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

2 hours ago, Namutree said:

I really don't get the strong opposition to wearing a mask.

I'm not a medical expert by any means, but... Why does anyone care so much about having to wear a mask? It's an extremely small annoyance at the very worst, unless you have some extreme medical condition I guess.

I GET the opposition to the lockdown, makes good practical sense to not want to trash the economy, but, why exactly is wearing a mask a big deal?

should read our firstest covid-19 post in the original thread... or not. too long ago and hard enough to read one Gromnir post, much less two. just as covid-19 were becoming recognized as a concern, we predicted the second amendment folks would appropriate, same way they did the gadsden flag.

warning: don't expect the following explanations to be reasonable. what is has been largely insulated from what is reasonable for the past few years o' US politics. you want an explanation which is reasonable and you will first need to find a way to get around the endemic divisiveness of the past few years as well as the unfortunate realities o' human nature.

two main reasons:

1) trump failed to deliver ppe.

in february, when members o' the task force and experts were warning the administration 'bout the dire threat covid-19 posed, the trump administration were encouraging the producers o' masks to sell their inventory... to china. the white house were specific informed that by january it were too late to provide enough masks for all american citizens, but it were possible to create enough supply for health care workers. the trump administration ignored such warnings and instead pushed US manufacturers o' ppe to send their inventory overseas.

by late february/early march, when it became obvious the wh miscalculated...

trump will never admit a mistake. he always doubles-down. masks and ppe were a sore subject for trump as they represented an obvious administration blunders. obvious trump solution is to claim masks were never needed in the first place.

2) mask wearing instant became entangled with second amendment rights.

why? 'cause second amendment folks is all too willing to turn every government action into a life or death fight 'bout Liberty

https://www.npr.org/podcasts/510356/no-compromise

am recommending listening to the podcasts although am admitting is highly unlikely most will have the endurance to do so.

the thing is, once alt/far right groups latched onto masks as a liberty issue and they became vocal and visible in their opposition to blue state governors, trump predictable picked a side. 

fcd4e15d-9b4c-4624-9317-c851a8bbf527_360

trump's tweets is illustrative 'cause the measures adopted by the three governors in question had nothing whatsoever to do with firearms. the problem is that all too many 2nd amendment honks is o' the no compromise variety who believe any government action which diminishes liberty makes it all too likely the radical democrats will be showing up to their door to take their guns with their next decree.

why do such folks follow basic no shirt, no shoes, no service laws and individual store guidelines but balk at masks which could save lives?

regardless, once masks became a trump issue, fox news and breitbart went into full disinformation mode in support o' the President and next thing you know masks is, believed by all too many conservative voters to be at best ineffective and at worst lethal.

don't ask for a reasonable answer.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

I've grown to like wearing a mask because I don't have to "social worry" if I have a zit on my nose or food stuck in my teeth or whether I need a breath mint or if my teeth are too yellow or any of that shallow stuff. No one can tell anyway.

It's a great time to be a slob.  :p

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts