Gorth

13 hours ago, rjshae said:

Why was the Champions League final delayed 36 minutes?

Was it the fans? Police pepper sprayed children. Ticket-paying Liverpool fans were denied entrance after standing in a queue for two and a half hours. Karma is a b*tch, I suppose.

Yeah, the British are on the cross about it. Funny that it was the opposite extreme from their handling of the Euro final, heh.  But also just in general this season, a lot of pitch invasions, players actually attacked or just being harassed by fans.  Shame no Cantona-esque punishment, although I guess Vieira did put the prole on his ass.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

No sport in particular, just a video about sports fans...

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

UEFA Issues Apology to Fans; Will Review Events Around Champions League Final

UEFA statement blame those with fake tickets for Paris chaos (doesn't say where they are from) "Turnstiles at the Liverpool end became blocked by thousands fans who had purchased fake tickets which did not work in the turnstiles. This created a build-up of fans trying to get in"

• Haha 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

21 year old Iga Świątek won the French Open at Roland Garros for the second time in her career. The Polish phenom has won 6 straight tournaments and 35 straight matches, equaling the longest such streak this century (Venus Williams in 2000). Unsurprisingly, she is ranked #1 by the WTA by a massive margin.

https://apnews.com/article/french-open-rafael-nadal-sports-jelena-ostapenko-iga-swiatek-7fbb7f44c8be43617e2b5568c0265442

Her dominance on clay is reminiscent of Rafael Nadal, who will be trying for yet another championship tomorrow. Can she be this dominant on other surfaces?

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

• 2 weeks later...

Crazy Rally moments...

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently, this (2022) years Isle of Man TT race was particularly costly with 5 dead drivers and 2 in serious condition. No, not going to link to the crash videos...

• Sad 1

I'm forever amazed that more people don't die at WRC events, be that drivers, co-drivers, or spectators. I'm not sure who's more insane, the people in the car going 100 mph down a narrow, twisting road with a sheer cliff on one side, or the people sitting or standing shockingly close to the race path?

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

2 hours ago, Keyrock said:

I'm forever amazed that more people don't die at WRC events, be that drivers, co-drivers, or spectators. I'm not sure who's more insane, the people in the car going 100 mph down a narrow, twisting road with a sheer cliff on one side, or the people sitting or standing shockingly close to the race path?

Heh, ever watched group B rallies? Now that's some crazy and a half.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

WRC cars do have amazing safety engineering. It's pretty good marketing having a car you can go and buy (well, kind of) hurtling along a gravel road on a Cypriot cliff at 150kph and even if it does crash the drivers walk away unhurt.

• 2 weeks later...

I mentioned fans earlier... sometimes the sports and politics collide... RaJa Casablanca Ultras from Morocco. No riots, just protest songs

This was an entertaining breakdown of all the events that needed to happen to ensure that no one was in the stands when a plane crashed after buzzing the field at a Colts-Steelers playoff game.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Highlights from this years Paris-Dakar Rally

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Börje Salming, a Swedish hockey legend, was diagnosed with ALS in August but went to Canada this weekend for the Hall of Fame and was given one hell of a tribute and dropped a ceremonial puck. He was one of my inspirations growing up and playing hockey.

• Like 3

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

News to me, but FIFA has an archive of replays of World Cup matches

https://www.fifa.com/fifaplus/en/archive?filters=3oN3YY1ihoEBFyDMZr5k9V

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Iran was way worse than I expected. Matches have been so so, thus far.

• 4 months later...

British Sports (no, not the Monty Python version) 😁

• 3 months later...

I know I've posted an Isle of Man TT video before, but this year, Peter Hickman broke the lap record on his BMW. 136mph/218kmh (that's average speed, not top speed, which gets close to 210mph/330kmh)

(not recommended if prone to motion sickness)

• 1 month later...

Upcoming cage fight between Musk and Zuckerberg could be hosted in Italy. Ladies and Gentlemen place your bets…

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-66480636

Aussies to win the Women's World Cup for sure

I don't know why they're called the Matildas, but I love their name and they've got my vote. Hopefully the story behind it doesn't suck.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

10 hours ago, Gorth said:

Upcoming cage fight between Musk and Zuckerberg could be hosted in Italy. Ladies and Gentlemen place your bets…

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-66480636

Musk's public humiliation fetish has no bounds.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

19 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

I don't know why they're called the Matildas, but I love their name and they've got my vote. Hopefully the story behind it doesn't suck.

Refers to the song Waltzing Matilda. Should have called them the Glowers, cause in a land down under...

• Gasp! 1

5 hours ago, Malcador said:

Refers to the song Waltzing Matilda. Should have called them the Glowers, cause in a land down under...

Given just about every other national sports team in Aus is named after marsupials (like the soccer-roos men's team) they really should have been called the Soccer Quokka. Marketing levels --> through the roof.