Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Can anyone advise? I want to pre-order The Outer Worlds, however , when I attempted to do so, the page asked for my region. Now I live in Spain ( and speak some Spanish) however I want the game in English. Accordingly, if I state my region as Spain, will the game ( eventually) be downloaded in Spanish? There seems to be no option on choice of language. Thanks in anticipation of anyone who can advise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My advice: don't.

But if you want to ignore my advice, You can get an english version in the microsoft store by adding the english language to your system and force running microsoft store in english

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DekarServerbot. Many thanks for responding with your advice. Are you able to elucidate as to why you recommend that I do not pre-order? 

Kind regards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm just speculating but I assume there will be english language for all european versions. I know some countries, like Germany and France for instance sometimes go a bit over the top with localisation, but it would be odd. My guess is subtitles that you could switch to English. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/10/2019 at 6:04 AM, Barry Lawrence said:

DekarServerbot. Many thanks for responding with your advice. Are you able to elucidate as to why you recommend that I do not pre-order? 

Kind regards.

because preordering has been a bad choice since 2017, you either end in disappointments or with underachievers. Also i had a bad experience with starbound which was awesome in both alpha and beta but ended being crap on release, the current reviews are based on a very selective closed beta and the final product maybe underwhelming, specially considering how private division has literally shot the costumer ala Judas

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Many thanks. I will take note of what you have said. Although, probably like many others, I have been anticipating this game for a long time and have followed it's development since it was first announced. But I agree caution is the best way forward. 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Barry Lawrence said:

Many thanks. I will take note of what you have said. Although, probably like many others, I have been anticipating this game for a long time and have followed it's development since it was first announced. But I agree caution is the best way forward. 👍

you know, i used to be like you. But with the EGS exclusive after i filled up 64 USD on my steam wallet and AVOID BUYING OTHER GAMES to get this game since it was announced i am no longer buying it. Period

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/12/2019 at 4:11 AM, DekarServerbot said:

because preordering has been a bad choice since 2017, you either end in disappointments or with underachievers. Also i had a bad experience with starbound which was awesome in both alpha and beta but ended being crap on release, the current reviews are based on a very selective closed beta and the final product maybe underwhelming, specially considering how private division has literally shot the costumer ala Judas

'Figuratively'. The word you're looking for is 'figuratively.'

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I pre-ordered TOW as soon as I was able to.

I have enough faith in Obsidian as a developer and have seen enough gameplay footage of TOW that I was comfortable pre-ordering.

I RARELY pre-order anything. I only ever pre-order if I am VERY confident that I will enjoy a product. I have that confidence with TOW.


"Too much of the animal disfigures the civilized human being, too much culture makes a sick animal."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/12/2019 at 10:55 PM, the_ragnarokkr said:

I pre-ordered TOW as soon as I was able to.

I have enough faith in Obsidian as a developer and have seen enough gameplay footage of TOW that I was comfortable pre-ordering.

I RARELY pre-order anything. I only ever pre-order if I am VERY confident that I will enjoy a product. I have that confidence with TOW.

That's probably the best way to go in my opinion. I believe pre ordering games is dangerous since quite some time, especially considering the new trend where many publishers tease their games before release and dumb it down when released (sometimes regarding features, actual content, or even visuals). I can't remember which game it was, but there are some, like EA, who went as far as to downright lie and heavily publicized features before release that never existed in the final game. It's even more awful how they got the developers to lie for them on video before the release :s. I have personally no idea how Microsoft will impact the end result for this one. I am one to believe that since it's the first Obsidian release since they bought it, they will want to be careful, the way Bethesda tried (more or less successfully) to respect the Fallout universe with Fallout 3 (before butchering it completely afterwards). So yeah, if you have total faith and confidence, go for it. As long you are aware of the risks involved, anything is fine. Although, i personally would advise increased caution over time with future games.

 

I mean, trusting Obsidian is one thing. But now, they are not the ones in full control of their works anymore. So, even those who still trusted them six months ago should be fully aware that Obs won't necessarily do things the way they see fit anymore.

Edited by Abel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Abel said:

I have personally no idea how Microsoft will impact the end result for this one. I am one to believe that since it's the first Obsidian release since they bought it, they will want to be careful, the way Bethesda tried (more or less successfully) to respect the Fallout universe with Fallout 3 (before butchering it completely afterwards).

I doubt Microsoft had any influence on the project - the buyout happened deep into OW development. New projects might reflect their influence but not this one. OW is still done under Privite Division umbrella - afterall it was 2K who sold their Privite Division games to Epic. 

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-03-20-epic-games-store-line-up-expands-with-private-division-more-ubisoft-titles-and-quantic-dream-exclusives

OW looks great. Luckily, it doesn't seem I will have new PC in time for it's release, so I will patiently wait for a wider store release.


h1dczBG.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Wormerine said:

I doubt Microsoft had any influence on the project - the buyout happened deep into OW development. New projects might reflect their influence but not this one. OW is still done under Privite Division umbrella - afterall it was 2K who sold their Privite Division games to Epic. 

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-03-20-epic-games-store-line-up-expands-with-private-division-more-ubisoft-titles-and-quantic-dream-exclusives

OW looks great. Luckily, it doesn't seem I will have new PC in time for it's release, so I will patiently wait for a wider store release.

 

Well, thanks for the details, i'm not fully aware of everything, and your post helped. Still, i would oppose one concrete example to what you say. I'm not sure these are things you know about or even remember about, but i'll take the bet.

 

When Bioware was bought by EA, Dragon Age Origins was almost completed. But we know many things were changed in a rush at the very end of the developement by EA. I had  looked up the topic quite a lot back in the days, but i can't remember an accurate list of all the changes (they were obviously never made official, for obvious reasons). Still, here is one example i still remember of the things they did.

 

In the game, you had a golem that you could use as a companion. Originally, it was meant to be found in a certain house in some town. Everything was written and implemented in the base game, and from what i read, it was pretty well thought out and interesting. But now, EA thought it would make a good opportunity for a DLC, and made Bioware remove it. And so, when the game was released, you could still go inside the house through using the console, but obviously, no golem. Instead, they released some day 1 DLC. I can't remember if the DLC adding the golem was a day 1 one though, but the way they ended up adding it to the game was pretty lackluster. But they filled a short, over priced, bland DLC in order to bring content that was already in the game but was cut just before release.

 

So, that's the kind of things a publisher can do when they buy a developer which has almost completed his last game. It's certainly my own perspective, but i would definitly warn anyone against that kind of thing. This may happen. It happened. And it was 10 years ago. I think many people would agree that the game industry and publisher's policies haven't gotten any better since then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Abel said:

When Bioware was bought by EA, Dragon Age Origins was almost completed. But we know many things were changed in a rush at the very end of the developement by EA. I had  looked up the topic quite a lot back in the days, but i can't remember an accurate list of all the changes (they were obviously never made official, for obvious reasons). Still, here is one example i still remember of the things they did.

Oh, you don't need to remind me of it. My first year at the university, and first money earned. I bought collectors edition of Dragon Age. I was greeted with a merchant in my camp bugging me to buy a crappy DLC, in a game desperately starving for a quality side content (or quality content in general, after opening chapter). I have been more cynical ever since. 

But as other mentioned, it is Privite Division who is publishing Outer Worlds, not Microsoft. Not that 2K is more trustworthy, then Microsoft, but if publisher will have negative influence on OW it will be on 2K. 

  • Like 1

h1dczBG.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Wormerine said:

Oh, you don't need to remind me of it. My first year at the university, and first money earned. I bought collectors edition of Dragon Age. I was greeted with a merchant in my camp bugging me to buy a crappy DLC, in a game desperately starving for a quality side content (or quality content in general, after opening chapter). I have been more cynical ever since. 

But as other mentioned, it is Privite Division who is publishing Outer Worlds, not Microsoft. Not that 2K is more trustworthy, then Microsoft, but if publisher will have negative influence on OW it will be on 2K. 

 

I feel you :)

 

Let's hope the better in this case :). I actually may have more faith in 2K than in Microsoft.

Edited by Abel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...