On 7/11/2019 at 11:29 AM, ocelotter said:

I don't seem to have this problem in my game. Speaking of the sabre modal, though, I don't quite understand why it was changed. Sabres seem like a much better version of swords: they exchange a second (often weak) damage type, Pierce, for +10% damage/+1 Penetration, and have the same powerful modal with less downside (-10 Deflection instead of the sword's -15). Furthermore, why change only sabres and not all of the "weak" offensive modals: stilettos, war hammers, maces, rapiers... Seems out of balance.

On a different note, any thoughts about changing another abusable item: Lethandria's Devotion? Since the first tick of healing happens instantly when you switch this in, you can spam switch with this to have effectively infinite healing. I know it's easily avoidable, but if it's an easy fix somehow it might be a nice tweak.

Finally, has anyone else experienced my issue with Chain Lightning refusing to bounce back to targets it's already hit? Still curious if a mod I'm using changed the ability somehow or if it's an intentional limitation by the developers.

The right-click description of the modal is correct, it's just the tooltip from the action bar/whatever that still uses the old text - at least in my experience.

I agree with you about the modal change. Most of my sabre-focused characters are low-deflection anyway, so a -10 penalty doesn't really feel like it balances out the much more valuable penetration increase. In my current community patch playthrough, it feels insignificant enough that I just leave the modal on and forget it. 

Maybe changing the penalty from +50% recovery time to +20% would feel like a more appropriate malus.

6 hours ago, Purudaya said:

The right-click description of the modal is correct, it's just the tooltip from the action bar/whatever that still uses the old text - at least in my experience.

I agree with you about the modal change. Most of my sabre-focused characters are low-deflection anyway, so a -10 penalty doesn't really feel like it balances out the much more valuable penetration increase. In my current community patch playthrough, it feels insignificant enough that I just leave the modal on and forget it. 

Maybe changing the penalty from +50% recovery time to +20% would feel like a more appropriate malus.

image.png.e58e97d7380af0ca5b473f0629433140.png

From the previous thread, it seems like the reasoning was to give situations where it's preferable to use the modal rather than switching to another weapon type, at least from a purely offensive perspective. But if that's the case, then...why just sabres? Why not all of the other weapons with that same modal? And then shouldn't swords get something to compensate such that they are still a worthwhile option? Besides, there are already reasons not to switch: switching weapons causes recovery, you may not have the appropriate damage type available, you may have a defensive weapon switch instead of an offensive option, and so on.

Anyways, since it seems like there's already been ample discussion of this I doubt anything will really change their minds. Fortunately, the creators of the patch made it extremely easy to modify to personal taste, so I'll probably just remove that component and leave it at that unless something is off in my reasoning.

Now if only I could modify the AI behavior routines to switch modals on/off automatically in slight underpenetration situations...

9 hours ago, ocelotter said:

image.png.e58e97d7380af0ca5b473f0629433140.png

Strange that it's not showing up correctly for me. I only have a few other mods and I make sure to place the community patch last in my load order. I'll look into it and see if I can find any conflicts.

This thread is over the post limit set by Obsidian.  If anyone wishes to create a new thread to continue the discussion, they are more than welcome to.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man