Berath is pissed with me because of something I said in Part 1. As I was heading down to the Hanging Sepulchers, she gave me a warning of impending punishment. Suddenly, I'm finding the difficulty of encounters has gone WAY up!  Is there a connection?

Edited by Ananisapta

I think my sin was in connection with the main quest, where Berath recalls I promised her some souls... the same souls I later promised to Hyleah, I guess. For imaginary gods, this bunch is a PITA.

Level scaling is set to "All" but suddenly I have a half-dozen enemies with three red skulls overhead added to a dozen ordinary ghouls in each encounter. Ugh!

I'm not sure what angering Berath does there but it's often been reported that zone is wonky with enemy levels. Are you playing with scaling?

I can attest it's still wonky. I played with upscaling and it was incredibly difficult compared to any other area in the vanilla game.

Echoing what others are saying about the difficulty spike here, I’m also curious if the enemies have a buff called Berath’s Wrath. I completed Overgrowth after killing the druids near Sayuka, and all of the enemies inside the Engwithan “reactor” had a buff called Galawain’s Wrath or something like that, giving them all bonus inspirations - tenacious and hardy if I am remembering correctly. Is that what’s happening here, too?

I got past Yseyr without a fight, which was nice considering he's supposed to be the most difficult enemy in here. It's nice to know I'm not alone in thinking this place is a lot harder than its surroundings.

I reloaded an old save and knocked down a Risen Soldier with three red skulls to examine his stats, which didn't look especially high other than Constant Recovery of 44 points/sec. I didn't see any other buffs on him.

I still have Berath's Wrath on me. Since I'm tanking, I cleared the whole place without personally sending anybody back to the wheel. So I'm down a whole level in my stats with one soul down and seventy-four to go. I got no credit for all the souls Xoti returned, and no way I can see to release the ones I'm carrying. If I meet any of the Engwithans who are responsible for this mess, be assured I'm gonna send them straight to hel!

Berath's wrath gives -1 to all stats I believe so it just makes the mc weaker. If you kill 75 enemies it should be lifted.

Also, don't lie to the Gods and think away you can get scott free. I hope you hid the scroll during The Parable of Wael instead of returning it to Grimda.

Edited by AeonsLegend

My point is that as main tank, I don't actually kill very many enemies (apparently it's a kill only if you strike the final blow). I played several hours today and my count is now 2/75, so it looks like Berath's Wrath is a life sentence if you happen to be main tank. A bit unfair, no?

My point is that as main tank, I don't actually kill very many enemies (apparently it's a kill only if you strike the final blow). I played several hours today and my count is now 2/75, so it looks like Berath's Wrath is a life sentence if you happen to be main tank. A bit unfair, no?

Not unfair. I think Berath got you good. So you think that the punishment is harsher than it would be for other people because of the choices you made? Interesting. :)

• Like 2

Not unfair. I think Berath got you good. So you think that the punishment is harsher than it would be for other people because of the choices you made? Interesting. :)

Well, I'm up to 15/75 this AM, so there is hope for my MC getting out from under the bitch-god eventually. But clearly the penalty is harsher for tanks, and that raises at least a question of fairness.

Yes, life is often unfair. One reason we play fantasy games is to get away from the constraints of reality, one of which is that we often live our whole lives as thralls of choices we made when we were young and ignorant. But if a game that takes weeks to play is too relentlessly life-like, it becomes another source of frustration, not recreation... at least for some of us.

Game designers need to keep that in mind!

It's definitely one of the hardest areas of the game, especially when you arrive at Neketaka for the first time. It's also a fantastic place to get Exceptional quality gear early on, once you learn the ins and outs: pulling the Luminous Revenants and Risen Armsman from the right-central room; memorizing where the Risen Mages spawn; preparing for the Wraith's teleport ability.

I don't think people realize you can get to level 8 before arriving at neketaka without fighting enemies. You get group XP by discovering map points such as Ondra's Maw. Just stock up on supplies and go sailing. If you want you can even clear Mapping the deadfire quests 1 and 2 as they are doable before going to neketaka. This means that once you visit the queen and turn in these quests you'll be level 9. High enough to loot all the goodies in the stores. I usually leave neketaka around level 11-12.

I don't think people realize you can get to level 8 before arriving at neketaka without fighting enemies. You get group XP by discovering map points such as Ondra's Maw. Just stock up on supplies and go sailing. If you want you can even clear Mapping the deadfire quests 1 and 2 as they are doable before going to neketaka. This means that once you visit the queen and turn in these quests you'll be level 9. High enough to loot all the goodies in the stores. I usually leave neketaka around level 11-12.

Here's a nice thread about getting xp before fighting anything, I think you can get to 16 easily, especially if you do a few quests that have easier fights:

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/103025-guide-grow-strong-before-fighting-anything/

Here's a nice thread about getting xp before fighting anything, I think you can get to 16 easily, especially if you do a few quests that have easier fights:

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/103025-guide-grow-strong-before-fighting-anything/

Oh I'm sure you can, but that would make the game utterly boring.

Xp comes fast as it is. Don't really feel the need for sail around to become even more overleveled.

Xp comes fast as it is. Don't really feel the need for sail around to become even more overleveled.

Sure does. 

I have only done two runs, but I took XP down to 60% until I hit L16, then bumped it up to 80%. That seemed about right for my games in which I feel like I need to do everything.