Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Penetration Mod

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

Phenomenum

Phenomenum

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 586 posts

Not sure this is the right place... But whatever - i want to more people try this and share their opinions.

After countless sleepless night in thoughts about PENETRATION i've changed my mod. But let's start from far - i want to explain what downsides of vanilla system was fixed.

There is a several scenarios in vanilla that looks...far from perfect (in my opinion, of course).

#1. Balanced scenario, when Attacker's PEN = Defender's AR (which is not often). Attack deals listed damage (good for Attacker), but Defender's armor not working (at this moment you thinking: "What for this armor needed?!") In fact, Armor just protect you from possible Overpenetration bonus damage.

Resolution: I remember PoE 1 system (which was far from perfect anyway), when armor always give some protection. So i've changed PEN=AR Damage - now attack deals only 75% damage (-25% Damage penalty). Even the Light Armor will reduce some damage and protect Defender from attack. Good for Defender, bad for Attacker you say, but...

#2. Attacker's PEN exeeds Defender's AR by 1 or 2 points or whole bunch of points, but less than x2 (13,5 Pen vs 7 AR etc.) In vanilla game Attacker gains nothing and armor still don't give any protection to Defender. Literally, there 2 breakpoints – PEN = AR and PEN = x2 AR – everything between gives nothing to both Defender and Attacker.

Resolution: Since game counts OVERPEN as PEN/AR ratio (which is not perfect but doable), i've added incrementing damage boost with 5% step. In vanilla you never care to change your weapon if PEN exeeds target's AR less than x2. Now you will want to do it to deal maximum damage. And vice versa. This how it looks:

(PEN/AR ratio)
x1.0 = 75% dmg (PEN = AR)
x1.2 = 80% dmg
x1.4 = 85% dmg
x1.6 = 90% dmg
x1.8 = 95% dmg
x2.0 = 100% dmg (PEN = x2 AR)

P.S. Now i running some tests - if all goes fine, i'll upload a new version with more precise damage calculation.

#3 (implies from #2). Bonus Damage from OVERPEN no longer exist. On Obsidian forums people often wondering, what is "Overpenetration" - probably, when your sword drivening through enemy stomach up to the hilt.

So, Attacker will deal full damage only when his PEN exeeds Defender's AR x2 or more. On one side, Attacker will be rewarded for every PEN point, on the other side Defender still receive some protection from armor, which reduces with higher Attacker's Penetration, so EVERY AR & PEN point will be working for both sides in every possible scenarios. Pure and simple.
Overall damage output for all charachers will be slightly reduced, but not drastically.

#4. Vanilla UNDERPEN damage penalties was changed. UNDERPEN 'window' slightly increased: from -1 to -5. When Attacker's PEN less than Defender's AR, Attacker receives additional -10% Damage penalty per point under the target's Armor, Max -75% at 5 points).

But you don't need to stack your AR to +5, becose even with PEN>AR Defender have moderate damage reduction. So overall incoming damage will be less than vanilla.

TOTAL VALUES:

PEN > AR (PEN/AR ratio):
x2.0 = 100% dmg (vanilla: 130%)
x1.8 = -5%    dmg (vanilla: 100%)
x1.6 = -10%  dmg (vanilla: 100%)
x1.4 = -15%  dmg (vanilla: 100%)
x1.2 = -20%  dmg(vanilla: 100%)
x1.0 = -25%  dmg (vanilla: 100%)

PEN < AR
-1 PEN: -35% dmg (vanilla: -25%)
-2 PEN: -45% dmg (vanilla: -50%)
-3 PEN: -55% dmg (vanilla: -75%)
-4 PEN: -65% dmg (vanilla: -75%)
-5 PEN: -75% dmg (vanilla: -75%)

So, this variant of Penetration system have several pros:
Light Armor and Clothing will be useful, even on POtD, and give protection not only from possible OverPen +30% bonus damage
Attacker gains reward for every Penetration point that exeeds Defender's AR
Every AR point for Defender will be rewarded and give additional protection even when Attacker's Pen exeeds AR less than x2
More smooth UnderPenetration damage penalty increment

Terminology slightly changed (including Cyclopedia entries and tooltips)
PEN < AR: No Penetration. 25-75% dmg.
PEN AR (but not x2): Partial Penetration. 75-95% dmg.
PEN = x2 AR: Full Penetration. 100% dmg.

https://www.nexusmod...rnity2/mods/241

Edited by Phenomenum, 29 January 2019 - 02:54 PM.

• IndiraLightfoot, draego, merkmerk73 and 2 others like this

thelee

thelee

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1570 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Setting aside my actual thoughts on this kind of rebalancing, concerns I have:

1. Did you rebalance raw damage? They always do full damage, which means in your rebalancing where you need to basically overpenetrate to do 100% damage, all sources of raw damage got a buff.

2. Did you rebalance weapon modals? With the current numbers, +2 PEN for +50% recovery time is basically only worth it for -5 PEN to -3 PEN, which is much narrower than in vanilla.

• Phenomenum likes this

Elric Galad

Elric Galad

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1567 posts

2. Did you rebalance weapon modals? With the current numbers, +2 PEN for +50% recovery time is basically only worth it for -5 PEN to -3 PEN, which is much narrower than in vanilla.

Aren't these modals worth it only between -4 to -2 PEN ? This is exactly the same range unless I miss something...

thelee

thelee

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1570 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Aren't these modals worth it only between -4 to -2 PEN ? This is exactly the same range unless I miss something...

No. In general, the modals are worth it from -4 to -2 (even -3 to -2 for maces), -3 to -1, -2 to 0.

In terms of PEN only time they are not worth it, is trying to go from normal to overpenetration, or from -1 to normal.

Edited by thelee, 29 January 2019 - 02:35 PM.

• Elric Galad and Phenomenum like this

Phenomenum

Phenomenum

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 586 posts

1. Did you rebalance raw damage? They always do full damage, which means in your rebalancing where you need to basically overpenetrate to do 100% damage, all sources of raw damage got a buff.

1. Nope and i don't think it needed. For now at least.

2. Not yet, but i understand that some tweeking needed. +3 PEN i guess.

thelee

thelee

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1570 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

2. Not yet, but i understand that some tweeking needed. +3 PEN i guess.

+3 PEN would probably do it. covers most of the underpen cases, which is probably when you'd want it to be used.

• Phenomenum likes this

Elric Galad

Elric Galad

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1567 posts

No. In general, the modals are worth it from -4 to -2 (even -3 to -2 for maces), -3 to -1, -2 to 0.

In terms of PEN only time they are not worth it, is trying to go from normal to overpenetration, or from -1 to normal.

OK, I got it. I misinterpreted your post.

I meant they worth it when you are between -4 PEN and -2 PEN compared to AR (so indeed -4 to -2, -3 to -1, -2 to ), and you said with the Mod it is worth when are at -5 PEN from AR.

Using modals when are at -1 PEN from AR could be useful too. It won't rise DPS, but it might help your ressource-consuming special attack to be more cost-efficient.

In the case of Dual Wield, Main Hand Modal is always worth it by the way, since there is no recovery (unless you Dual Wield a single weapon type) 

Edited by Elric Galad, 29 January 2019 - 02:46 PM.

• thelee likes this

Phenomenum

Phenomenum

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 586 posts

In terms of PEN only time they are not worth it, is trying to go from 100% to any OVERPEN, or from -1 to anything else.

With this mod seems they a worth in many more scenarios. For now, it fits good (not fine) with vanilla values. Remember, in vanilla, when you at -5 UnderPen, there was only one option - change weapon ;)

I've read a lot of your posts - great job. Hope you try mod and say something after.

Edited by Phenomenum, 29 January 2019 - 02:41 PM.

thelee

thelee

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1570 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

In the case of Dual Wield, Main Hand Modal is always worth it by the way, since there is no recovery (unless you Dual Wield a single weapon type)

you're going to have to explain that to me! say what?

Phenomenum

Phenomenum

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 586 posts

you're going to have to explain that to me! say what?

He means activate modal and use DW Full Attack abilities at the cost of total +25% Recovery time, becose in this case Recovery penalty working only for offhand weapon.

Edited by Phenomenum, 29 January 2019 - 02:59 PM.

Phenomenum

Phenomenum

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 586 posts

Oh, i had almost forgot: i need to NERF (ha-ha) some statuseffects provided by food and items, which reducing incoming damage - in combination with armor they will grant a little more protection (-40% incoming damage) than i want. Balance shall persist! :grin:

Elric Galad

Elric Galad

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1567 posts

2 Cases (EDIT : this post is about Full Attacks)

Case 1 :

Main Hand with a weapon with an active +2 PEN / + 50% Rec modal

Offhand with a weapon with an active +2 PEN / + 50% Rec modal

=> Modal give +2 PEN to 2 weapons, +50% Rec on Offhand only (roughly +25% Rec average EDIT : this part is confusing, so I delete).

Case 2 : 

Offhand with a weapon without any active +2 PEN / + 50% Rec modal (it shall be a different weapon, sorry Devoted)

=> Modal give +2 PEN to main hand, +0% Rec on Offhand since modal doesn't apply to offhand.

Edited by Elric Galad, 30 January 2019 - 08:27 AM.

Phenomenum

Phenomenum

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 586 posts

I've done with testing, everythigs seems work fine. So i've uploaded 2.1 version.

More precise damage calculation (10 steps)

Increased PEN bonus of weapons modals (+2 > +3) to better match wider UnderPen 'window'.
Reduced -N% incoming damage effects from food and some items, becose of increased armor protection.

thelee

thelee

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1570 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

2 Cases :

Case 1 :

Offhand with a weapon with an active +2 PEN / + 50% Rec modal

=> Modal give +2 PEN to 2 weapons, +50% Rec on Offhand only (roughly +25% Rec average).

Case 2 : 

Offhand with a weapon without any active +2 PEN / + 50% Rec modal (it shall be a different weapon, sorry Devoted)

=> Modal give +2 PEN to main hand, +0% Rec on Offhand since modal doesn't apply to offhand.

case 1: i'm not following. are you saying that there's a bug where the +50% recovery penalty is only being applied to the offhand if you have two different modals active? because I surely feel like from my most recent run that this is not the case.

as for case 2: the recovery penalty is effectively less, but so is the effective damage bonus, so I don't know what's special about this case.

Elric Galad

Elric Galad

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1567 posts
I'm only speaking about full attacks, which skip main hand recovery.

The point for case 2 is that you can apply the modal from main hand without any drawback.
What you do with offhand is another question.
  • thelee likes this

thelee

thelee

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1570 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

oh ok, i missed that you were still talking about full attacks :)

• Elric Galad likes this

Phenomenum

Phenomenum

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 586 posts

Updated to 2.2 https://www.nexusmod...rnity2/mods/241

To compensate reduced overall damage output, Critical Hit damage bonus vere raised to classic value of +50%. Here's explanation:

In vanilla Crit adds 1.5 PEN multiplier & +25% of base damage. When you score a Crit or being Critically Hit it lead to OverPEN in most
cases, so total damage dealt is 30% (from FullPEN) + 25% (from Crit bonus) = 55%. With Crit bonus +50% Attacker deals 100% dmg (from FullPEN) + bonus 50% dmg (from Crit), which less than vanilla only by 5% (neglitable). So overall damage output still the very same and Crits hurts bad.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reduced -N% incoming damage effects from food and some items and abilities, becose of increased armor protection:

Assassin subclass penalty: +15% > +20% incoming damage
Rise Food:  -10% > - 5%
Arrak: -15% > -10%
Food Forgetful Night: -20% > -15%
Food_yolk_bowl: -10% > -5%
Food_honey_wine: -15% > -10%
Pet_Grave_Hound: -10% > -5%
Large_Shield_The_Wall_SE_IncomingDamageMultRanged: -50% > -35%
Large_Shield_The_Wall_SE_IncomingDamageMultReflex: -50% > 35%
Death_Runes_SE_EnemyDamageReduction: -15% > -10%
Refusal_SE_EnemyMeleeDamageReduction: -10% > -5%
Defiant_SE_DamageReduction: -15% > -10%
Girded_Flanks_SE_EnemyDamageReduction: -15% > -10%
Fathers_aegis_SE_ReducedDamage: -15% > 10%
At_Blades_Reach_SE_EnemyDamageReduction: -20% > -15%
Pull_Back_SE_EnemyDamageReduction: -25% > -20%
Feigned_Retreat_SE_EnemyDamageReduction: -25% > -20%

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Added optional mod, which slightly rises attribute bonuses/penalties from tiers 1 & 2 Afflictions and Inspirations:
Tier 2 Inspirations: +6 attribute bonus
Tier 3 Inspirations: +7 attribute bonus

Tier 2 Afflictions: -6 attribute penalty
Tier 3 Afflictions: -7 attribute penalty

Paralyzed/Petrified Affliction now have 50% incoming hits to crits (instead of 25% vanilla)
Stunned Affliction Deflection penalty now -15 (instead of -10 vanilla)

This gentle touches makes a bit more strong vanilla effects, which is too soft and oftenly can be unnoticed.

Edited by Phenomenum, 01 February 2019 - 08:18 AM.

protopersona

protopersona

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 214 posts
Gonna have to play around with these changes, but I like the logic behind them at least.

thelee

thelee

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1570 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

They all have -0.3 multiplier and in vanilla, due
to double inversion, Crit with firearms could deal less damage than Hit.

Firearms have a -.15 multiplier, no? The window in which firearms did less damage on a crit was like 1.0 and shortly after, before the blunted criticals effect got nerfed.
  • Phenomenum likes this

Phenomenum

Phenomenum

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 586 posts

They all have -0.3 multiplier and in vanilla, due
to double inversion, Crit with firearms could deal less damage than Hit.

Firearms have a -.15 multiplier, no? The window in which firearms did less damage on a crit was like 1.0 and shortly after, before the blunted criticals effect got nerfed.

Just looked now - yeah, 0.85 multiplier, you're right. I should remove this sentence from description :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users