Deadfire won't win RPG of the year (VGA's)

8 hours til the VGA's. I am pretty sure Deadfire will lose but you just never know!

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

I think Octopath is going to take it, in fact I'm 110% sure now.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

I don't know why, but I'd feel more bummed if Deadfire lost to Octopath than if it did Monster Hunter. I think MH is a larger profile game in my mind and loosing to something relatively new just solidifies how outside the wheel house of the mainstream games like Deadfire are.

Regardless the lack of marketing the game got was shameful.

Eh, I'd be a lot more miffed if Deadfire loses to DQXI or maybe Ni-no-Kuni.

Octopath is actually somewhat revolutionary in terms of game mechanics by JRPG standards, and its playable characters are very well balanced up until you hit endgame and you get access to the secret jobs. It has a more western design approach to its quest and overworld design, just tight enough that it's still considered a JRPG. It is fairly esoteric, I'd be willing to bet that if it didn't have Square Enix and Nintendo backing it, it'd probably be tossed in the unknown pile behind PoE.

Edited by Saito Hikari
  • Like 1

Monster Hunter World, good game but DEADFORE :'(

No surprise that Monster Hunter won it. It's not an crpg but still won the award because someone had the brilliant idea of putting an action game into the crpg slot.

As much as I love MHW, I'm mildly convinced at this point that it only got shoved into the RPG slot instead of action adventure because the people who ran the show felt it had to win something (what with RDR2 and GOW dominating everything else). And it was vaguely enough RPG that they could do it without most people batting an eye. It sold like 10x the amount compared to every other game on the category too.

Plus, there's going to be an announcement for the MH series in a few days as well.

Edited by Saito Hikari

I think Octopath is going to take it, in fact I'm 110% sure now.

Those additional 10% may have lead to a fact buffer overflow.
Oh shut up

:angry:

?

"Eurovision" is a television network of the European Broadcasting Union.

Did you mean "Grand Prix Eurovision de la Chanson" (or "Eurovision Song Contest")?

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

The cast of Inhumans just looks like a variation of Rogue 1. Just look at the poster, other than the two main characters, the others are pretty much Cassian, Jyn, Chirrut and a slimmer version of Baze :D

Totally not derailing the thread here.

Edited by Manveru123

I thought Eurovision was an unapologetic parody dance competition or something. It wasn't supposed to be taken seriously. VGA in comparison though...

In retrospect, MHW winning the RPG category should have been expected. I remember in past VGAs, the RPG category was always treated as an afterthought despite being one of the most prominent and oldest genres in the history of videogames. I mean, the award this year did get announced during the pre-show instead of the main event, meaning the developers didn't even get a chance to give a speech or anything and it was done to get them out of the way quickly. Persona 5 fans last year had the exact same complaint about the show and were actually really miffed about it.

MHW being in the RPG category should have also been a clear sign that it was going to win it as a pity award instead of Game of the Year which it was also nominated for.

(Capcom developers also used the event to announce that there's something in store for Monster Hunter in a few days, and it's mildly obvious that the event has a greater emphasis on being a vector for advertisement rather than an actual awards show at this point. And this isn't even me being salty at all, again I'm thrilled that MHW won, but also like many other MHW fans, still wondering what the hell it was even doing in the RPG category in the first place. A quick glance at the reddit tells you that the general mood is like 'that's great, but what?')

Edited by Saito Hikari

RPGs weren't ever a prominent genre.

Really? Compared to something like FPS which didn't really exist until later, especially when it comes to consoles?

Then again, RPG isn't a prominent genre when one looks at it as a genre that is largely Japanese-dominated outside of a few big Western studios, and the VGA is largely a western-centric show, so I suppose you're right about that. The only time the western gaming press at large really took RPGs seriously in recent memory was when Skyrim and TW3 were released.

Edited by Saito Hikari

RPGs weren't ever a prominent genre.

Just looking at two periods that don't even include the most popular RPGs.

1998-2002: Planescape: Torment, Fallout 2, Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind, Final Fantasy 8-11, Deus Ex, Baldur's Gate 2, Diablo 2, Icewind Dale, Anachronox, Gothic 2, Arcanum, System Shock 2, and Arx Fatalis.

2008-2012: Skyrim, New Vegas, Dark Souls, Diablo 3, Dragon Age: Origins, Mass Effect 2/3, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Torchlight 2, Bastion, Witcher 2.

That's not mentioning Pokemon, Ultima, World of Warcraft.

What do other game genres look like? Only FPS and platformers have been more prominent, and not all the time.

Edited by AwesomeOcelot

World of Warcraft is an RPG (that I never played) and afaik it's among the most prominent games - maybe the most prominent there is. Even my parents and their neighbors heard about it... And they are ooold. And they have no smartphones.

wtfreaction.gif

I know! Right?

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods