"recently used" abilities showing up above your ability slot

...is the single best gameplay improvement that's ever happened in Deadfire

I've generally put some sort of hotkey on all sorts of abilities half the time not even because I use them, but just to remind myself that they exist because otherwise they're hidden behind a submenu (especially back in PoE1 where priest/druids would have a crapton of spells per level), and the new "recently used' slots--and the fact that they don't overlap with existing hotkeys--obviates that use case for me.

So, to whatever designer or UI person or programmer thought this up: thanks!!

Edited by thelee
  • Like 7

Let me chime in and reiterate how great a feature this is!

• Like 1

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Funny. I find this feature very annoying because it totally messes up my buffing routine. Before that I could simply hold shift and click and chain-command all stuff in a few secs.

So instead of holding shift and do click + click + click now I have to do shift+click -> recently used stuff pops up -> close it -> shift + click -> popup, close it -> shift + click. I hate it. :)

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Funny. I find this feature very annoying because it totally messes up my buffing routine. Before that I could simply hold shift and click and chain-command all stuff in a few secs.

So instead of holding shift and do click + click + click now I have to do shift+click -> recently used stuff pops up -> close it -> shift + click -> popup, close it -> shift + click. I hate it. :)

Beat me to it. Characters with multiple insta-buffs require double the amount of inputs now, the new recent abilities interface pops up when you mouse over any empty spell/invocation tier, and it contributes to blocked status effects in the standard ui layout. Would really like to see this as an optional menu toggle.

Edited by Purudaya

Beat me to it. Characters with multiple insta-buffs require double the amount of inputs now, the new recent abilities interface pops up when you mouse over any empty spell/invocation tier, and it contributes to blocked status effects in the standard ui layout. Would really like to see this as an optional menu toggle.

funny, i don't notice any extra inputs... do y'all not use hotkeys? because with hotkeys, it's just a few extra buttons to the right of them instead of some extra thing that pops up.

No, I don't use hotkeys. Maybe that's why I never forget that I have certain abilities. ;)

Apparently the people who put this into the game never played without hotkeys. Else they would have noticed what a pain in the back this is now.

• Like 2

That would also explain why I like the feature: I’ve never used hot keys.

• Like 1

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Don't mind me. My reading skills are progressively regressing to preschool levels.

• Like 4

Glad to hear some of you like it!

For those that don't, you can toggle this off in the "Interface" options tab.

It might have changed, but last time I checked, part of the UI still appeared, even when selecting toggling the option off in the interface.

It is still the case. You will see the (kind of) collapsed bar with no entries in it.

Great thing though that you included the option to turn it off.

Edited by Boeroer

Hot keys? It is fall in Upstate NY nothing is hot anymore keys or otherwise and probably won't be before mid-June - good thing I have Deadfire to take my mind off the damn cold.  :disguise:

(Never use hot keys - I like the new feature so far!)  :grin:

• Like 1

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

Not all those that wander are lost...