[2.0.1] magranite flamethrower not appearing to target above-deck crew with grapeshot

thelee

Question

I'm not sure where exactly the issue is, whether it's the cannon, whether it's the ships I'm fighting (generally galleons now), the range I'm at, or some other bug, but I used to be able to charge up to ships really close (70-100m) and bombard them with grapeshot every other turn to basically disable them, but now when I do that, I actually very uncommonly hit above-deck crew members. Frequently I hit the hull! Sometimes even below-deck crew members! Which is weird, because grapeshot isn't even supposed to damage the hull or below-deck crew members!

In fact, here's a screenshot I took of the magranite flamethrower hitting below deck crew member twice, which in previous runthroughs literally never ever happened if I used grapeshot. So again, I don't know if this is a regression specific to 2.0/2.0.1, some issue with Magranite Flamethrowers, or the ships I'm attacking, but it really seems more like I'm just hitting completely random things on the enemy ship.

post-58316-0-88914400-1535233984_thumb.jpg

Dropbox link to save before a ship battle, along with output_log: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0goytf6og8p6l2q/AAD2rquBC1GlnVIzmWuZvWQVa?dl=0

6 answers to this question

So, I just tried using Wyrmtongue at a more modest range (~300m) and it also appears to be targeting fairly randomly.

A side effect of whatever the heck's going on here is that ship-to-ship combat is harder when I don't appear to be exercising much control over where I'm firing.

So, curiously, I switched out to Aedyr Channel Guns and they perform exactly as one would expect. That is, grapeshot primarily targets above-deck crew, chainshot -> sails, and cannonball-> hulls. In fact, with this ship set up, I had Aedyr Channel Guns on one side and Wyrmtongue on another, and it was actually jarring the difference - the Aedyr Channel Guns did pretty much as they expected, whereas Wyrmtongue performed very randomly regardless of ammo I selected.

Is there something buggy about how the "fiery" cannons work? That's the only common thread I can see here - both the Magranite Flamethrower and Wyrmtongue have little fiery symbols on the "fire cannons" screen indicating that they have an extra chance to set things on fire. Has something about their aiming/ammo gotten confused?

Edited by thelee

Hey Thelee!

Goodness gracious that is quite the post!  Thank you for letting us know what you've discovered with the Magranite Flamethrower and the Aedyr Guns.  There is so much here, that I'm going to have the team reference this post, so if you happen to discover anything else about this, please feel free to let us know!

As always, thanks again Thelee!