Lost Dues in Good Faith ending [SPOILERS]

I'm just curious about what others might think about this.

At the end of the quest you can lie to Kahn and fork over either 3000 or 4000 gold (depending on earlier choices). I can't for the life of me figure out why anyone would do this. You get nothing except for a minor rep bonus from anyone who likes shady stuff, but on the flip side you can lose rep from Xoti (the quest's recommended companion). Either than that, you don't get anything else except a warm fuzzy.

I sort of get it for RP purposes, but that's a pretty large amount of money to part with for the RP of it. Even in an RP sense, few people are honorable enough to cough up that kind of dough just to keep somebody from feeling bad. But all in all, the fact that Xoti would be annoyed by the Watcher trying to do a good deed just rubs wrong.

I know this doesn't matter, but I thought I'd ask for the thoughts of others nonetheless. :)

I think it's actually a cool moment that you can do something for no reward to be kind and someone might still disagree about your choices for its dishonesty or whatnot. I did it anyways because the lady already had an awful enough time of things and I didn't want to make it even worse for her.

That said, the way the mechanics train you in rpgs and this game almost make you feel bad for doing what would arguably be a nice thing or the right thing. It's kind of a weird /disorienting experience.

• Like 2

I think it's actually a cool moment that you can do something for no reward to be kind and someone might still disagree about your choices for its dishonesty or whatnot. I did it anyways because the lady already had an awful enough time of things and I didn't want to make it even worse for her.

That said, the way the mechanics train you in rpgs and this game almost make you feel bad for doing what would arguably be a nice thing or the right thing. It's kind of a weird /disorienting experience.

Another example would be dealing with the Imps in Arkemyr's manor.

You can lie to the imps and claim to be Arkemyr (or claim one of your companions is Arkemyr).   This can avoid a ton of bloodshed shed (and Arkemyr will also note this later on).  At the same time it's still Shady as all hell (Shady being defined, more or less, as "someone found out later you were lying about something").

Is it worth being slightly shady at times if it brings about a just end?  Up to the Watcher in question, I suppose.  

But it does show that Shady is more like Aggressive than say Cruelty.  Some folks might disapprove of it, but that doesn't make it 'bad' in and of itself.  

Unless the Watcher is one of the folks who disapproves of such behavior, that is. ;)

• Like 4

Just gotta wait until poe3 rolls around and paying her and going along with that vallian dude at the baths leads the way to your magic weapon of insta-gib when falanroed visits you. ;)

Edited by Metaturtle
  • Like 1

Filthy Chanter Main  :dragon:   :skull:  :skull:  :skull:  -_-

Another example would be dealing with the Imps in Arkemyr's manor.

You can lie to the imps and claim to be Arkemyr (or claim one of your companions is Arkemyr).   This can avoid a ton of bloodshed shed (and Arkemyr will also note this later on).  At the same time it's still Shady as all hell (Shady being defined, more or less, as "someone found out later you were lying about something").

Is it worth being slightly shady at times if it brings about a just end?  Up to the Watcher in question, I suppose.  

But it does show that Shady is more like Aggressive than say Cruelty.  Some folks might disapprove of it, but that doesn't make it 'bad' in and of itself.  

Unless the Watcher is one of the folks who disapproves of such behavior, that is. ;)

Well, some people really value honesty. It is not the case with Arkemyr, but maybe to the point that they'd prefer you to slaughter their servants than impersonate them.

"You made a mess here, but at least you didn't offend me!" :p

sign.jpg

• 3 months later...
Guest Psychovampiric Shield

You could give her money out of fear that Kahn is scripted to appear 20 hours later and give player ultimate weapon, but only if player gave her 2-4K here (yes, it can be lowered to 2K).

What I find weird is that if you want to give her money, you have to lie, but that lie does not contribute to shady disposition.  If it does not contribute, then it should be neutral, no lie sentence.

I always go to her before I mess with him, get her to promise to pay ME for helping her find him, and then I can rescue him without being on the hook for money he never had. 4k is like a decent magic item early game, a pretty decent pair of boots or gloves or something not super-common. I'm usually without that much liquidity early game anyway, but the first time I got him first and then went to her and she wanted me to pay her because I rescued a stranger and accepted him onto my crew I was baffled. "Look, if you like the old guy so much, why don't I just give him to you? He can't navigate worth a damn at night anyway, he's nightblind in one eye and can't see out of the other.