Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS - CON SEASON

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1393 replies to this topic

Chilloutman

Chilloutman

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1533 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

art direction of D3? :x

Katphood

Katphood

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2732 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Yup. Back then people seemed to complain about it a whole lot less.

Edited by Katphood, 04 December 2018 - 02:11 AM.

Chilloutman

Chilloutman

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1533 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Yup. Back then people seemed to complain about it a whole lot less.

really?

https://www.diablowi...Art_controversy

• AwesomeOcelot and the_dog_days like this

Katphood

Katphood

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2732 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Totally!

https://www.eurogame...n-copies-so-far

Edit:

best. christmas. EVER!

https://youtu.be/i3-FU2ZLvVo

Edited by Katphood, 04 December 2018 - 03:34 AM.

Oner

Oner

Loner of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 7537 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I also heard he was a pretty hardcore WoW lorehead. Dunno if that translated to any actual work on WoW or not.

Malcador

Malcador

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7862 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Pft, consoles.
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

I think Boyarsky probably contributed one of the more successful facets of that game.

Or that's just what you want to think. 

Still have to replay D2 to see this amazing story people are telling me it had.  Found it about the same level of interesting as D3's, at least from memory.

Edited by Malcador, 04 December 2018 - 06:20 AM.

213374U

213374U

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5358 posts

Still have to replay D2 to see this amazing story people are telling me it had.

Speaking of which...

I should have a D2 disc buried somewhere. I might give it a whirl if I can get off my ass and dig it up.

• Malcador and Katphood like this

HoonDing

HoonDing

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 9346 posts

What's Diablo?

AwesomeOcelot

AwesomeOcelot

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1327 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
I doubt Boyarsky made D3 look like Warcraft, especially when you look at the games he was art directing at Interplay and Troika. Blizzard have taken their Warcraft philosophy and applied it to all their franchises not just D3.

Just watch the cutscenes on Youtube, you don't get much story in game, it's compelling character and world design, with a story outline the same way Castlevania or Half-Life is, there's actually not too much narrative because it's a game and you play it. It works if you let your gameplay journey be the story.

Chilloutman

Chilloutman

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1533 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

well Diablo 1 have very limited cutscenes but story was kinda nice (but really simple) but most of it was from ingame chat and books you found

thats force me to post this again:

Malcador

Malcador

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7862 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Pft, consoles.
  • Kickstarter Backer

I doubt Boyarsky made D3 look like Warcraft, especially when you look at the games he was art directing at Interplay and Troika. Blizzard have taken their Warcraft philosophy and applied it to all their franchises not just D3.

Just watch the cutscenes on Youtube, you don't get much story in game, it's compelling character and world design, with a story outline the same way Castlevania or Half-Life is, there's actually not too much narrative because it's a game and you play it. It works if you let your gameplay journey be the story.

I've played the game before, was more wondering if I was missing something as everyone in a paroxysm of rage post the D:I announcement said it had a complex storyline and was deep.  Felt it was a shade better than D3, minus D3's villains - minus Diablo's - idiocy.

Then again, same people seriously state D3 has no dark elements in its presentation, so perhaps I am wasting time.

Serrano

Serrano

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1207 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I've played the game before, was more wondering if I was missing something as everyone in a paroxysm of rage post the D:I announcement said it had a complex storyline and was deep.  Felt it was a shade better than D3, minus D3's villains - minus Diablo's - idiocy.

Then again, same people seriously state D3 has no dark elements in its presentation, so perhaps I am wasting time.

The Diablo games are all pretty shallow storywise, it has some great cut-scenes though and is pretty stylish. It's a simple story told well but I doubt many people could make a strong case for it being complex compared to other RPGs that are out there.

Edited by Serrano, 04 December 2018 - 03:54 PM.

SonicMage117

SonicMage117

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3237 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
If I may,

(Here's your chance to say in your head "No you may not!")

No Diablo game was particularly good looking, even at the time of it's original release but D3's bright scheme didn't seem very Diablo at all. Visually, it seemed like a lesser Torchlight. Something to think about hehe

Gorth

Gorth

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 10654 posts

Time to break up the thread a bit... more stuff here :skull:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users