So I did it - created a Priest of Wael for the next playthrough.

So first off, I'm excited about this build. Been mulling over it a while. After discovering all the awesome Illusions gear I decided to finally do it.

Overall I think Priests are underrated. Yes, their vanilla skills aren't as varied, and they certainly aren't a top tier class like in PoE1.

However, they do have the best healing (and ressurection) plus the priests sub classes vary it up a bit. They also have really good 8 and 9 lvl spells that make single classing worth it.

Now for the priest, will be using White Witch Mask and Eye of Wael, adding +4 PL for Illusions. Going to rock the Judivk Armor because it looks awesome and is fun with companions. As for melee weapons, thinking Magistrate's Cudgel or the Family Pride mace. For shields, prob the Devotion one that periodically heals but there are a number of good options. Maybe large shield, D&D style?

Oh yeah, where are my manners. Onahamu is an Island Aumaua with a background as a Merchant. So this should work for both a fun, irreverent RP and also a decently powerful build in it's own right. Hylea might not be happy about me dispersing the souls randomly :x.

Thx for reading. Anyone else out there run a Priest of Wael?

Edited by Verde

Current party playthrough I tweaked my Holy slayer into a Templar Wael/Bleak Walker. 

I give up riposte on any weapon but I can still:

-use Whispers of the Endless Paths if I want to riposte against enemies in an aoe

-still have all the deflection buffs now from Wael instead of trickster to allow retaliate to work

-get more and better fire aoe spell attacks through Priest which get progressively stronger at higher levels - so I get even more mileage out of the fire ring, Magran's Favor and sun+moon

Nice! that's a great theme as well as a powerful character. My first run was with a Priest of Berath MC and I thought it was a blast.  I'm currently running without a priest (getting high enough level for Beast of Winter so i can have Vatnir) and I badly miss having one in the party.  It's not about power either, virtually any combination of characters can be powerful in the base game even on POTD as it isn't very hard (and i'm not a powergamer like many on these forums, its just easy), I just miss the flavor a priest provides.  The buffs look awesome from a VFX perspective, and the holy spells are pretty sick. Love those clutch withdraws to save people as well. Damn it why did i make Xoti a monk i miss having a priest! 

I like the Wael concept alot though! 

Thanks ya'll.

Priest of Berath looks great. I heard it has one of the best Incarnate spells. I love that it's focused on Death and Decay but also Revival.

Templar Wael/Bleaker Walker sounds awesome from both a RP and combat perspective!

Edited by Verde

Have not tried it myself so dont know exactly but from what I've seen, high-level content encounters, enough to kill to win. 8 sec base. 

---

edit: Death Godlike would work well I guess, if not interrupted* too often. 

*I guess this is where the Veil is useful. 

and one can always withdraw if things do not go well. 

Edited by knownastherat

Barring Death's Door + Salvation of Time

Hmm very interesting...how long was it lasting?

highly depending on ur Int but u can have ~40sec x2 of immortality per fight. My Zealot played around with this.

I can chain with about 4 minutes with potion of last stand, check 10 min Fire Dragon Fight

1 Nemnok Cape - 20 Sec

1 Potion - 20 Sec - Salvation of Time + 20 Sec

2 Death Door - 20 Sec

2 Potion - 20 Sec - Salvation of Time + 20 Sec

3 Death Door - 20 Sec

4 Potion - 20 Sec - Salvation of Time + 20 Sec

5 Death door 20 Sec

Edited by mant2si

Solo PotD builds: The Glanfathan Soul Hunter (Neutral seer. Dominate and manipulate your enemies), Harbinger of Doom (Dark shaman. Burn and sacrifice, yourself and enemies for Skaen sake)

Barring Death's Door + Salvation of Time

Hmm very interesting...how long was it lasting?

highly depending on ur Int but u can have ~40sec x2 of immortality per fight. My Zealot played around with this.

I can chain with about 4 minutes with potion of last stand, check 10 min Fire Dragon Fight

1 Nemnok Cape - 20 Sec

1 Potion - 20 Sec - Salvation of Time + 20 Sec

2 Death Door - 20 Sec

2 Potion - 20 Sec - Salvation of Time + 20 Sec

3 Death Door - 20 Sec

4 Potion - 20 Sec - Salvation of Time + 20 Sec

5 Death door 20 Sec

But the potion lasts only for 6sec iirc? Also yeah if u use an empower point u can obviously chain it longer.

But the potion lasts only for 6sec iirc? Also yeah if u use an empower point u can obviously chain it longer.

I used food + amulet that increase buff duration + has something like 21 base alchemy + 2 from adra potion + 2 berath blessing + 2 from gloves + 2 waist

Solo PotD builds: The Glanfathan Soul Hunter (Neutral seer. Dominate and manipulate your enemies), Harbinger of Doom (Dark shaman. Burn and sacrifice, yourself and enemies for Skaen sake)

I tried Wall of Draining once, some time ago, and seemed to me it did not work at all! But that is probably just wrong, it works right?

Only works if enemies have buffs running u can leech time from

It has actually zero effect on Barring Death's Door (just checked on Rotghasts + Broodmother who casts Devotions on them).

Salvation of Time is obviously bugged: if you apply it for the first time it gives you +20 secs instead of +10.

Only the second appliance will give you +10 secs. So for the second time it's actually better to cast Barring Death's Door again because its duration is usually 10+ secs at higher levels while Salvation doesn't scale at all.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Oh yes, never cast salvation on buffs that already has increased duration, that why I written about potion -> skill chaining. Always increase potion duration because potion will give you +25% to all damage

There also existed some stupid protection that prevent you to drink potion directly after salvation, so you need second skill with near death mechanic

Edited by mant2si

Best part of playing a Waelite is the "Wael, take the wheel" moment when traversing a reef near Motare o Kōzi. 

Also fun:  Board all Plagued ships.  (Using Minor Intercession to clear the disease afterwards is neat.)   Keep interesting secret information, like the animancer's notes and Beza's journal, even if you'd be rewarded for sharing.  Don't do the quests for the mapmaker.  Or do them, then murder him immediately thereafter.  (Too bad you can't solve those quests by making stuff up!)  Lie to the gods whenever you think you can get away with it  The solo ending is best-- you're off to discover the secrets of Ukaizo for yourself, not share them with the world.  Rekke, Grandmaster Aloth, and consumed-by-visions Xoti are the most thematically appropriate party members. 

Mechanically, though, I don't think you'll get a whole lot of mileage out of the +Illusions gear.  Only about half your bonus spells are Illusions, and they just don't benefit much from Power Level boosts-- the self-buffs only gain duration, and the offensive ones gain duration and a little accuracy.  (Maybe A's Wondrous Torment bounces more?)

Edited by Enoch
  • Like 1

I used food + amulet that increase buff duration + has something like 21 base alchemy + 2 from adra potion + 2 berath blessing + 2 from gloves + 2 waist
None of those should apply to potion effect anymore

Unless last stand is different (haven't tried it since the consumable nerf patch)

Edited by Dorftek