What specific process did the Engwithans use to create the Gods?

There is no 'real God' to have any basis for comparison.

It's just a fantasy game, people seem really het up on this.

It’s a question of values and epistemology. I doubt the devs wrote a game around these themes just because they wanted to provide us with some mindless entertainment.

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

Let's be real, the Gods were done better in PoE1. In PoE2 there are one of the weak spots imho. I mean showing them squabbling around a round table table like teenagers is super duper cringey.

• Like 1

Let's be real, the Gods were done better in PoE1. In PoE2 there are one of the weak spots imho. I mean showing them squabbling around a round table table like teenagers is super duper cringey.

Then you are unfamiliar with the Greek Gods and most of the D&D universe Gods.

• Like 2

Do enlighten me oh wise one...

Considering how many souls Thaos Stone in PoE to simply empower Woedica, and how many souls Eothas consuming in order to survive, it must have taken quite a few - it also seems like gods need a constant, healthy supply of souls in order to continue existing.

Deadfire made me question how the world looked and worked before the wheel was created.

Thaos tackles this in the first game. His take: kith aren’t capable of being good without the fear of a higher power.

I wonder why Thaos felt the need to actually create gods, though. If belief alone is enough, the fear of an almighty being watching and judging them 24/7.

The gods never needed to be real. The point is to be able to convince people of their existence.

Guess Thaos's (and the Engwithans') point was, if they could advance animancy enough to find out there were no gods, sooner or later other kith would too. They chose to manufacture gods for kith to find if/when they ever got there, and proselytize in the interim to make sure kith behaved regardless.

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Thaos tackles this in the first game. His take: kith aren’t capable of being good without the fear of a higher power.

I wonder why Thaos felt the need to actually create gods, though. If belief alone is enough, the fear of an almighty being watching and judging them 24/7.

The gods never needed to be real. The point is to be able to convince people of their existence.

He wouldn’t have been able to maintain his soul across generations without them.

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

Guess Thaos's (and the Engwithans') point was, if they could advance animancy enough to find out there were no gods, sooner or later other kith would too. They chose to manufacture gods for kith to find if/when they ever got there, and proselytize in the interim to make sure kith behaved regardless.

yeah, people already believed in gods. What was needed was a single unified pantheon to be The Answer, and the way to get people to abandon their god and follow yours is, well, by having your god be real
  • Like 2

Do enlighten me oh wise one...

Well, let's start with one of the versions of the Legend of Medusa. We all know Medusa as an "evil" woman with snakes for hair and whose very gaze turns humans to stone. Of course there's more to the story, Medusa was regarded as extremely beautiful so Poseidon raped her in Athena's temple, so Athena turned her into a Gorgon. Medusa was then killed by Perseus, while pregnant with Poseidon's child, with help of multiple Gods. 

In keeping with the theme of Athena being a bitch, Athena was challenged to a weaving contest by a woman named Arachne. Arachne was an exceptionally gifted weaver, and boasted that her talents were better than Athena. Which of course is HUBRIS and must be PUNISHED, except Arachne was right and she did beat Athena in the contest. Enraged that a mere mortal would dare to compare herself to the Glorious and Infallible Greek Gods, Athena turned Arachne into a spider. 

Zeus basically ****ed any female he saw, regardless of species. I recall one myth where he ****ed a goat because it was "sexy". His Sister-Wife Hera was extremely jealous of all of the females Zeus cheated on her with, and commonly tried to ruin the lives of any of Zeus' offspring. Hercules comes to mind in that regard. 

The Greek Gods were not "Glorious" or "Virtuous", they represented the worst of humanity.

• Like 2

But they didn't have the tone of whiny teenagers.

The tone Athena had when she turned Arachne into a spider for beating her at a contest, issued by Athena, is that of a whiny teenager.

"I challenged you to a contest and lost, now you're a spider bitch! Also I ripped up what you weaved because it was better than mine".

Edited by Vitalis
  • Like 2