Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Damage spells are too weak.

spells offensive weak damage

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

Yosharian

Yosharian

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1181 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer

I almost never found damage spells to be worth it unless they did Raw damage.  I took Silent Scream and Disintegration because they do Raw damage and so they are useful against tough enemies.

Otherwise, it's far more effective to get disables or debuff spells that last a long time, and significantly boost the damage caused by physical attacks (from the caster of the spell, even).

• Zelse likes this

Zelse

Zelse

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 98 posts

Please exclude exploits

Plague of insects and alchemy is clearly an exploit. 

I found my druid to be pretty weak. It was disappointing, especially because you were pretty effective in PoE1. I ended up acting as support spellcaster most of the time, which I did not sign up for.

Yeah, that 40 raw damage plague of insects with 22 alchemy every 3 seconds is pretty weak lol

Chillfog is very strong. Maybe the strongest early game spell. It even blinds enemies. Empowered Minoletta" Concussive Missile (PL IV) can even kill a group of Eoten in one cast and you get it with Level 10 at Multiclass.

I agree that 2 casts for one PL are not enough. It was enough with brilliant aura, but it does not exist anymore. And they should make more passives i agree.

Chillfog starts at 5 penetration. It is a great spell for blinding enemies and only on tekehu since he gets it as FoeAoe rather than regular Aoe. And as i said in the starting post, yes there are some good utility spells in the game.

The damage numbers you will get out of a spell that starts at 5 pen are (almost) ALWAYS going to be terrible on POTD. Even with expensive food+penTalent+tenacious you barely make 10. Most enemies after the first island have more than that. It also targets reflex without accuracy bonus so on average you wil graze 1-2 enemies out of 5 without heavy prebuffing for acc.

You have to put in crazy amounts of work just to make this thing somewhat okay damage wise. Its not worth. Even with how mediocre many spells are. This one is particularly bad at dealing damage. (Still a great spell for the blind tho!)

Edited by Zelse, 17 June 2018 - 11:51 PM.

Manveru123

Manveru123

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 818 posts

Empowered AoE spells are plenty powerful. It's a problem in the early game because you have very little spells, but mid-to-late game and when you grab that +1 spell uses grimoire, it's fine at the moment. A ulu thenn!

• Zelse likes this

Celan

Celan

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 139 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I found my druid to be pretty weak. It was disappointing, especially because you were pretty effective in PoE1. I ended up acting as support spellcaster most of the time, which I did not sign up for.

Yeah, that 40 raw damage plague of insects with 22 alchemy every 3 seconds is pretty weak lol

You think a player having to have 22 points in a skill for a spell to be effective is a legitimate argument?

Edited by Celan, 18 June 2018 - 01:29 AM.

Zelse

Zelse

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 98 posts

Empowered AoE spells are plenty powerful. It's a problem in the early game because you have very little spells, but mid-to-late game and when you grab that +1 spell uses grimoire, it's fine at the moment. A ulu thenn!

Ill give spellcasters Empower thats for sure. Only spellcasters really benefit from empower, some of the missile spells in particular are probably the best thing to be empowered in the entire game.

Im also not aware of a +1spellcasts grimoire? That sounds quite good! Where is it / what is its name?

You think a player having to have 22 points in a skill for a spell to be effective is a legitimate argument?

If it wasnt an exploit that will probably eventually get fixed (might take a while since its likely related to keywords which might be difficult depending on how they coded it) i would agree with him. Dumping all skill points in the upper tree to get spells that literally win the game for you by themselves after casting them once sounds pretty worth it to me. Literally you cast 1 time and everything dies.

Its broken.

It might still get beaten by the monk/ranger multishot+crit build which is slightly less exploity but just a broken combo/design oversight. But in the end neither of these should be used by anyone who wants to actually play the game rather than facerolling content because 2 things were overlooked.

Edited by Zelse, 18 June 2018 - 01:51 AM.

baldurs_gate_2

baldurs_gate_2

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 855 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Which grimoire is that?

Haplok

Haplok

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 759 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Vaporous Wizardry. Available early in Neketaka, in Arkemyr's shop. But there's a catch. With this Grimoire every damage you receive will cause an Interrupt.

Edited by Haplok, 18 June 2018 - 02:06 AM.

• Zelse likes this

Manveru123

Manveru123

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 818 posts

^ what he said. I didn't even notice that weakness though, so it's always good to have it on quickbar imo.

Shadenuat

Shadenuat

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 900 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Plague of Insects is powerful the moment you get it without any exploits. Druids generally can target more defences (reflex, fortitude, deflection) with their AOE spells and they come with some debuff too.

baldurs_gate_2

baldurs_gate_2

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 855 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Vaporous Wizardry. Available early in Neketaka, in Arkemyr's shop. But there's a catch. With this Grimoire every damage you receive will cause an Interrupt.

And i thought finally i can get a good grimoire with my chanter / wizard xd

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: spells, offensive, weak, damage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users