Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Obsidian Forum Community

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

alanschu

Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by alanschu

  1. Tell me how item intensive the Ultima's were... <{POST_SNAPBACK}> Well, if you dropped the deed to your ship, you couldn't use it any more. The entire plot of Ultima 6 is about acquiring items. Many quests for the Fellowship involve deliveries in Ultima 7. The main plot eventually requires you to acquire the Tetrahedron, Cube, and Sphere pieces so you can destroy the black gate...but only if you were keen enough to pick up Rudyom's wand. Oh, and to release Penumbra from her eternal slumber, you're going to be hauling around some blackrock as well. Acquiring a fellowship medallion is essential if you want to get into the retreat, but don't let Batlin see you with it until you have become a member. I suggest you don't drop any of the "useless" stuff that the lightning storm transposes onto you in Serpent Isle. In some cases, it may make it difficult for you to acquire your original equipment. Under no circumstance should you not pick up the Daemon Sword, and under no circumstance should you release the Demon inside of it prior to his demanding of release. Otherwise you may find it difficult to escape from the prison that Filbercio tosses you into. Might be a good idea to not drop any of the serpent equipment either.
  2. A newbie vampire that has taken out vampires and other critters far more powerful than a werewolf. I hate when a game or a game master cheats more than metagaming. <{POST_SNAPBACK}> Nines had a reputation of being exceptionally powerful. The only reason why your vampire would think that Nines, who is more powerful than you (especially if you metagamed at a different point and were unable to defeat him...and the fact that he can defeat the werewolf and you can't) is bluffing when he says that you cannot defeat a werewolf, is if you're metagaming. Another excellent demonstration of your hypocrisy.
  3. PS:T And if it didn't worked back then why re-add it now. Why not get food back too... let's make sure that while exploring Oblivion you go to a food shop 3x a day or you die of hunger! OH YEAH... the coolness... What I get from the Ultima's is that is mostly used passwords and codes instead of items though... making you need paper... loads! <{POST_SNAPBACK}> Hey, I'm not the one that said: I was pointing out how ludicrously incorrect your statement was. I wasn't saying we should or should not readd it. And what you get from Ultima is also quite wrong. Exceptionally wrong. Especially the later games.
  4. As best we can with the information provided. Critical acclaim, mixed with sales, is a pretty strong argument. If a game is considered by major publications on every Top game of all time list, in addition to public opinion. Do many people, as well as publications, consider Enter the Matrix as one of the greatest games of all time?
  5. Ah, but if you're basing your experiences on Canon, aren't you metagaming them? You, as a newbie Vampire that is told many times by Nines Rodriguez that you cannot beat the werewolf, had little inclination to think that you could harm the werewolf. I thought you hated metagaming.
  6. I'm talking about the older games like the entire Ultima series. Or the Gold Box games. And which game is PNJ? I didn't care that Sion was invincible, and it's clear not many other people did either. When you say "we all," you should really rephrase it to Hades.
  7. Stop being obtuse. I don't like the Sims, but I can still recognize that it's a good game. I don't like High Heat Baseball games, but I can still recognize that they are good games. Pretty much every game that Blizzard has made has been a good game. Including the ones I don't like, like Warcraft 2. It's no surprise that Starcraft is one of the best selling games of all time, on any platform. **** games don't sell 9 million copies, and become the second best selling PC game ever.
  8. I wasn't told to run away from the haunted mansion. I was told to go INTO the haunted mansion. As for the graveyard, I was asked to protect the place. I was also asked to investigate the chinese theatre. The only person that told me to "go away" was the gargoyle itself. As for the movie monster mania, it was some red-shirt NPC with a 2-bit part. Not Nines Rodriguez who, after I insisted that we fight more than once in the conversation with him, reiterated that we have to run. Not Nines Rodriguez, who was an NPC that was established as being important from the opening video, and very integral to the plot.
  9. I was talking about other games. <{POST_SNAPBACK}> I wasn't responding to you.
  10. Not many of them are followed by encounters where you do ZERO damage to the enemy. And no, I don't know of many incidents in Bloodlines where NPCs tell you to run away. Please enlighten me.
  11. You're right, but at the same time, one could consider the enemy as a challenge and attempt to beat it. A player would only be at fault if he NEVER tried the above option and just kept fighting it 20,30 times. The problem was that many RPGs (esp. JRPGs) have enemies you cannot initially harm, or are seemingly immune to many normal attacks - but are eventually defeatable, whether through regular tactical means or more scripted actions. At least Troika can get credit for not holding your hand through it such as "TIP: WHY DONT YOU TRY THE DOOR?" <{POST_SNAPBACK}> That's just it, they gave strong hints. Niles spent a good chunk of time telling you to not fight the werewolf, and that you had to run.
  12. I know several FPS that contain "invincible" enemies till you meet certain requirements. How do you know you should not activate those? <{POST_SNAPBACK}> Good point! ++BugCount; Being told to NOT fight and to RUN right before hand was a good indication IMO.
  13. It was a puzzle. And something done to make an already simple game a little more challenging.
  14. I question what tactics are required to beat the werewolf. I have already made videos to demonstrate how rather straightforward it is to get into the door.
  15. I don't care much for their games either. Doesn't mean they aren't a high quality production studio.
  16. I think Blizzard is one of the highest quality developers out there. THey're still supporting Starcraft with new patches, and it's 8 years old! They offered a free online playing service for their games as well. Excellent production values on their games too.
  17. The old games such as Ultima are absolutely laden with bugs. I'm not sure why people like the buggy mess that is Ultima 7.
  18. That was a bad design bug because as a gamer I know werewolves are not indestructable in the White Wolf game. No creature that can get into direct combat with the player should be indestructable by any weapon the player has. Sure it can be tough as nails but not indestructable. <{POST_SNAPBACK}> Fixed! Sorry I couldn't resist!
  19. Why would we want to ask you that? No. I don't recall saying that I would either They don't.
  20. *Sigh* That was a reply on Lovewolf's "if the objects are quite obviously linked to the plot"... in this case this key was not. If I had stored it somewhere, who knows I could even link it with the door I needed to open. Is that me being an idiot? Maybe...but I wonder how many gamers will recall the use of that one item with a name like "Iron Key" 100+ further into the game... <{POST_SNAPBACK}> Exactly. A hardcore bug.
  21. Bingo. <{POST_SNAPBACK}> I also liked the degree of assonance present ^_^
  22. NHL

    alanschu replied to Fionavar's topic in Way Off-Topic
    Twice!
  23. Unbreakable in normal gameplay, but not to player stupidity. If you are going to be stupid, live and die with the consequences. <{POST_SNAPBACK}> So, the player is an idiot if they dropped a "Rusty Iron Key" they found at level 1, which would then be needed at level 50 to open one particular chest in the end game? There's two extremes there, hand holding by not allowing quest items to be dropped, or screwing the player over completely... <{POST_SNAPBACK}> That would be asinine design.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.