Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Obsidian Forum Community

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

alanschu

Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by alanschu

  1. Why would we have greater extremes in both directions?
  2. What exactly do you mean by "craptacular?" I think it's supposed to look like crap, as it's probably a crappy shield.
  3. Since the basic idea around the global warming trend is rising CO2 emissions, how exactly does the increase of a greenhouse gas result in "cooling in other places." Enlighten me.
  4. No, I laughed when I saw your comment, and felt it was rather obvious. I'm just curious what Pop was talking about.
  5. Does "global warming" imply cold weather to an expert?
  6. Which is precisely why looks can be deceiving.
  7. I am suing you for irreparable eye damage.
  8. As someone that has his roots built with the Macintosh, nothing irritates me more than the annoying insecurities that they have when it comes to Operating Systems. It's always a slough of "OMG they copied." It makes me ashamed of my Mac roots. All I have to say is so what? If your OS has good ideas, you'd have to be a complete fricken retard to not think it's going to be copied in another commercial OS. Microsoft would be doing a disservice to their customers by not including this sort of stuff in Vista.
  9. I agree. As I said I had no issue with the pacing of Half-Life 2. It probably didn't hurt that you were flying solo for most of the game. And I agree that it's a significantly slower paced experience than Painkiller or Serious Sam (of which I had only playing the latter, and only in MP.....if you haven't done this...you should! :D) Constant nagging is annoying. The issue I tend to have more is when the game insists that something is insanely urgent, and then does nothing to indicate that it is.
  10. alanschu replied to Bokishi's topic in Skeeter's Junkyard
    I wonder if it'd have it's own AC adapter plug in.
  11. What does that necessarily have to do with anything? Her "hurrying up Gordon" could easily have made sense from a story standpoint. I have no issues with the pacing of Half-Life 2, but there are many times that the amount of "freedom" a game will give you takes away from the urgency of the whole situation. "Oh no, it's a big giant meteor coming towards the planet! I'm going to hang out at the Golden Saucer in the mean time." I was enjoying Final Fantasy VII (and still did enjoy it), but when I realized that the urgency was all just a facade, it lost a bit of its lustre. While I may be a decent enough "twitch-reflex crack-speed FPS player" (given the large number of games I play, it couldn't really be helped), I certainly don't consider myself to have a short attention span. One of the things I really hated in the original Splinter Cell is when I lost a mission because I was responding to Lambert's urgency that some event not be televised. Because I didn't bother hiding the odd body, I "set off alarms" (which was a retarded mechanic in the game), because I figured that rescuing the hostages was of the utmost priority. Seriously, simply labelling someone that might not hate the urgency as having a "short attention span" would be like saying people that don't want it have ADD or something.
  12. What game is that Meta? :confused: I'm not interested in yoo loot - I want zee bounty. I commin' to getchu, Night-suken! Succinctly put!
  13. I have never used Vim.....but I loathe vi.
  14. I have never used Vim.....but I loathe vi.
  15. Whatever do you mean ?!?!
  16. A friend of mine is trying out Eve Online....so I am too :]
  17. NHL

    alanschu replied to Darque's topic in Way Off-Topic
    I laughed at that too!
  18. Meh, no one else has started a different topic.
  19. Hahaha I've done that before too.
  20. Well, if they use bombs more than guns, an initial response would be that it would not be effective, since they're not using guns
  21. While I obviously dropped the bomb with that previous link, I was fairly certain that the discussion expanded well beyong what just you or I do. The article didn't state that there's an increased risk of homicide in Aram's house. Public policy isn't just made for you and me though. As for the "vague percentage," upon looking closer at that link, the percentage isn't vague. It's 2.7 times more likely, or 170% (according to their data: "adjusted odds ratio, 2.7"). Looking back at what you said though: You see, it's not uncommon for the stuff that people believe to be right to not actually be correct. For instance, this one time, I did not put forth due dilligence and briefly looked over an article from the New England Journal of Medicine and grossly neglected the actual point of the article (I blame having 20 tabs open) and read into it incorrectly. But I carried on believing I was right. People persecuted Galileo about his beliefs of heliocentrism, because they believed they were right and he was wrong. Climate change has a group of people investigating solar influences, and posting their conclusions because they believe they are right. They are counted by traditionalists that hold that it is CO2 increases that are causing the increase, because they belief they are right. While not technically mutually exclusive, I'm guessing only one of those camps is correct regarding the level of impact their ideas have (or they're both wrong). Discounting some statistical analysis because they don't agree with your stance, on the merits of them being "written by people you don't know, based on people you don't know," is akin to putting your fingers in your ears and going "lalalala." You can (and should) argue that the findings may not apply to you. That's fine. You can (and should) question issues regarding their scientific methodology (unfortunately this is a bit hard as accessing the full study is somewhat expensive). Maybe they did not take into accountSociological trends never account 100% for everything. You'll always find exceptions. But unfortunately, you are just an anecdote. You'd have been better served addressing the issues in the conclusion. Don't forget, this article refers specifically to homicides in the home. It talks about how the use of illicit drugs and a history of domestic violence are high risk factors. I imagine these high risk factors for homicide are independent of the firearm being present, and therefore probably still contribute to a fair amount of the homicides where the victim is killed at home. Given the high risk factors already present, adding a firearm to an already volatile scene probably won't help. With regards to gun control, it's actually pretty easy to deflect this study. All this study really concludes is a correlation. Sure, gun control may prevent some homicides, but a more effective treatment would likely be providing avenues that help prevent illicit drug use and domestic violence, the other high risk factors. The firearm probably has just an ancillary effect that accentuates a previous problem. Given the sharp increase, I wonder if it's because an overwhelming majority of the homicides already have these higher risk factors associated with them. In other words, homicides in homes don't typically happen without one of these two factors. If that's the case, since they concluded an increased risk of a homicide by a family member or intimate acquaintance, I wouldn't be surprised if "virtually all" homicides in the victim's home are done by close friends and family. When discussing society and the effect policy has on society, I don't see how you can discount statistics though. I'd certainly prefer to rely on empirical evidence over "commonsense" or whatever conclusions one can come up with through introspection.
  22. Well, at least you read the length more thoroughly. I skimmed through it. -100 points for me EDIT: Errr, I think I may have linked the wrong article........that link doesn't look right.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.