Everything posted by Maedhros
-
The New Drinking Thread
- The All Things Political Thread (One thread to rule them all and in the darkness bind them)
It's quite resilient, but also reliant on the world economy of course. It has 1,4% of all stocks and shares in the world. It's so diversified it's hard to see if political pressure against investing in a sector/certain companies should matter much. Throughout the years they've exluded companies they deem to be unethical, hasn't seemed to have done much harm.- The All Things Political Thread (One thread to rule them all and in the darkness bind them)
No one wants to implement socialism though. No one except loonies on the fringes. Wanting a government that cares for its people (affordable education & healthcare, proper labour rights, etc) is what most left-leaning people want. That's not socialism, that's just common sense.- What Are you Playing Now: Living the Good Life
Started playing Dota 2 a bit again. Apparently your account is now reevaluated based on how long you've been gone from it. About time they added something like that!- Anime - A Rollercoaster of Emotion
I watched Fate / Zero, which I liked well enough. Currently watching the sequel, Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Bladeworks, and I'm a bit dissapointed at the lack of connection between the two shows. Many of the characters are the same, but they never really talk about what happened before, as if it never happened.- Food Thread - What are you eating?
I love using Jerusalem artichokes instead of potatoes sometimes. Last weekend I made a puree of some, as well as chips from what remained. Worked like a charm alongside duck breast and a red wine sauce. Doesn't look very delicate, and I should've reduced the sauce some more, but it tasted good!- Politics US Edition (2021-vol 2)
They're actually less popular than they used to be. They've seen up to 15% of the votes in earlier elections, now they're polled at around 8%. As far as "far right" parties go, they're kind of mild and hard to categorize. They attract the nationalist loonies though, that's for sure, and I wonder how they'll fare with if Sylvi Listhaug ( https://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-news-from-elsewhere-36102329 )becomes their new leader, which looks like it'll happen.- Politics US Edition (2021-vol 2)
We all pay taxes (I'm guessing). It's completely reasonable to expect something back. Hold your government accountable if it doesn't provide good services for the money you pay them. One thing I like that's started happening here in recent years is that food stores in cooperation with the government made a pledge/commitment to massively reduce food waste. So now all food stores have big discounts on stuff close to its expirey date. Would have loved that stuff back when I was a student.- Subway borrows a page from Spacer's Choice
Their bread has also been ruled (in Ireland) not to be bread! https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/oct/01/irish-court-rules-subway-bread-is-not-bread- General movie thread!!!!
It's quite sad how mediocre those films were.- Politics US Edition (2021!)
It's not really a double taxation, the same person doesn't pay it twice - being dead and all. From a reciever's point of view - everything you earn should be taxed. Including the money you earn from your dead family members. (Edit: I guess recieve is a better word than earn here. You don't really earn your inheritance money. All the more reason to tax it, imo).- Politics US Edition (2021!)
A few antifa "members" might have been there to document what's going on, or to stir the pot even. 99% of the ones who stormed the building however were Trump fanatics, there's little doubt about that.- Funny Stuff: Humour of the Clones
- Politics... World events
Kind of ironic that they at the same time want to limit the freedom of gay people. https://www.bbc.com/news/stories-54191344 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT-free_zone Europe's Alabama.- Politics... World events
Key point underlined. Breivik will spend the rest of his life in jail.- Politics... US election edition (2020 almost over, read all about it!)
The people will do what they're told. Trust in government and in experts is very high in Scandinavia. So the problem starts when the "expert" is wrong, like what happened in Sweden. When he tells people masks aren't necessary, people will listen to that. And when no one wears masks, no one wants to stand out in a crowd as one of the few who does so. As soon as masks became mandatory here in Norway (also too late, but way way quicker than in Sweden), everyone started wearing them immediately. Edit: I believe his reasoning was that there wasn't any science that indicates masks helps (there is), and that masks would give people a false sense of security. That they then wouldn't care about social distancing.- Politics... US election edition (2020 almost over, read all about it!)
It has been an ongoing failure though. Look at Sweden's numbers compared to Norway and Denmark. Tegnell was a fool to doubt the effectiveness of masks, and the new requirements came way too late. https://www.statista.com/statistics/1113834/cumulative-coronavirus-deaths-in-the-nordics/- Politics... World events
Will be? They already are and have been for a long time. They'd be an economical powerhouse in Europe with or without Brexit.- Politics US Edition Volume II
It wouldn't be a legal transaction under this new law. Lawmakers are in a very special position, special rules should apply. There's something very iffy about being able to buy stocks, when you have access to information that could largely affect the market days before it becomes public knowledge. If the ones who enrichened themselves due to inside information were actually seized and jailed, this would be a different story. But nothing seems to be done about it?- Politics US Edition Volume II
https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/530968-warren-reintroduces-bill-to-bar-lawmakers-from-trading-stocks Seems like a no-brainer to me.- Music: Sharing and Listening
I was a huge Pink Floyd fan in my teens, but somehow I never realised Shine on You Crazy Diamond had a music video:- Show and Tell - Your City
I had forgotten about this, I don't know why I specified it to be about "cities", when my intent was rather "where you live". So to clarify, if you live in a small town, or in a remote desert and want to show and tell us about it that's fine too! Since I'm very into wine and fine dining, I like visiting big cities with a rich food scene, where beautiful countrysides (& vineyards) are a short drive away. Both Vienna and Brisbane seem to be good candidates in that category.- Nvidia RTX Series
Orderered the MSI GeForce RTX 3070 VENTUS 2X OC (don't feel like I need a better GPU since I use a 1080p screen anyway). I read afterwards that the temperatures can get really high on it, but apparently undervolting the GPU (never done that before) removes that issue. I hope it arrives before Cyberpunk does! Will be a decent upgrade over my good ol' gtx 970.- Weird, random, interesting - now with 100% less diacriticals
- The TV and Streaming thread Series 3
I watched a lot of anime 10-15 years ago, all the supposed best ones. My favorite of them at the time was "Monster" - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0434706 - The All Things Political Thread (One thread to rule them all and in the darkness bind them)
Account
Navigation
Search
Configure browser push notifications
Chrome (Android)
- Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
- Tap Permissions → Notifications.
- Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
- Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
- Select Site settings.
- Find Notifications and adjust your preference.
Safari (iOS 16.4+)
- Ensure the site is installed via Add to Home Screen.
- Open Settings App → Notifications.
- Find your app name and adjust your preference.
Safari (macOS)
- Go to Safari → Preferences.
- Click the Websites tab.
- Select Notifications in the sidebar.
- Find this website and adjust your preference.
Edge (Android)
- Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
- Tap Permissions.
- Find Notifications and adjust your preference.
Edge (Desktop)
- Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
- Click Permissions for this site.
- Find Notifications and adjust your preference.
Firefox (Android)
- Go to Settings → Site permissions.
- Tap Notifications.
- Find this site in the list and adjust your preference.
Firefox (Desktop)
- Open Firefox Settings.
- Search for Notifications.
- Find this site in the list and adjust your preference.