Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

[CLASS BUILD] The Anvil, the most tough monk around

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

Dr <3

Dr <3

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 625 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
Totally agree. I also use them often to replenish the health between fights during a long quest so i don't lose the resting bonus ( i usual stack caed nua +3 const and the +40% healing).

jazzthing

jazzthing

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 1 posts

This build sounds awesome. I couldn't find any videos, so here my questions: is this build ready for "The Ultimate"?

Dr <3

Dr <3

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 625 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
Probably you can even manage to do it, but i wouldn't choose this build to try that achivement. Mind you, not because is weak, but mainly because:
1) you will often run low in Life, a couple of critical strike or stun at the wrong moment can ruin your day ( and since the main strategy here is just run in the middle of the mobs you can't even easly escape)
2) in some battles you will had to rely on potions. Potion animation Atm is *very* bugged, lose your run because you fail to drink an healing potion 3 time in a row ( happened to me in a couple of battles) is very depressing

Tl;dr: a good and fun build for solo, not raccomanded for trial of iron

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5538 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
I'm currently doing a barb ultimate run with a quite similar approach and so far it's going well. Since I consider the monk to be stronger I'd say he's viable.

Dr <3

Dr <3

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 625 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
Good luck for your run! Barb have larger health pool, but poorer retail effects imho ( and no iron wheel/turning wheel). Let me know how is going!

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5538 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Yeah - nothing beats Turning Wheel that early in the game when it comes to retaliation. And the higher accuracy and deflection helps, too.

dgray62

dgray62

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 64 posts

2) in some battles you will had to rely on potions. Potion animation Atm is *very* bugged, lose your run because you fail to drink an healing potion 3 time in a row ( happened to me in a couple of battles) is very depressing

This may very well be a bug, but I imagine that in reality, quaffing a potion in the midst of combat would not be easy, nor should it be. Ideally this would be an action that is subject to interruption, although I'm not sure if this is how game mechanics actually work.

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5538 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Interrupts would be ok, but the game cancles the whole process randomly and you never know when and why. You have to pause every 0.5 seconds and click on the potion icon again to make sure the game doesn't "forget" that you wanted to drink a potion.

dgray62

dgray62

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 64 posts

Yes, this certainly is a bug. I actually gave up trying to use healing potions in battle some time ago due to this. I usually just rely on passive healing, and healing spells when necessary.

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5538 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

In solo, especially Trial of Iron, it's very annoying. 

dgray62

dgray62

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 64 posts

The days were pretty wrong in my last play through. Not only that some containers didn't have the same overall loot list e.g. Raedric's chest not containing the Gloves of Manipulation (I did a full month long cycle to check). I suspect in one of the more recent patches Obsidian completely reworked the "random" loot tables.

I have had the same problem with multiple playthroughs, JerekKruger. I have discovered two things. First, if your MC is not the first in the order of characters, for some reason random loot changes, and does not match the tables. I used to put squishy characters to the back, and when I did this, I never got the expected loot. This was before I realized you could have custom battle arrangements for the characters. Secondly, on some playthroughs, for reasons that are not clear to me, you just get different loot. It occurs maybe 10% of the time when I start a new game.  If I don't find the expected loot in the Gilded Vale Inn, I start over.

Dr <3

Dr <3

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 625 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

This may very well be a bug, but I imagine that in reality, quaffing a potion in the midst of combat would not be easy, nor should it be. Ideally this would be an action that is subject to interruption, although I'm not sure if this is how game mechanics actually work.
In reality you can't put people on fire just singing, nor transform in a badass boar or cast fireballs. Or in a Place where the local reality permits to do such things drink a potion in the middle of the fight should not be such strage. This is a game and have to be fun, and the mechanichs have to work well.
For example i like a lot how potion works in tyranny: istant effect + cooldown for prevent abuse/spamming. Much better then Poe where do you have a fair long animation ( bugged and easily interrupted), so you can't rely at all in potion effect.

Edited by Dr <3, 21 April 2017 - 09:19 PM.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users