Haswell Countdown

Bokishi

Well speaking of AMD, Richland was just released today. Odd strategy for them to go head-to-head against the Haswell release, but business savvy is something AMD lost a while ago.

The product itself - well, no surprises. Richland is to Trinity as Haswell is to Ivy, with the same ~10% boost. It's not as disappointing because it was a known quantity, a straight refresh on the same node, whereas Haswell is a 'tock' that ended up feeling like a 'tick'. AMD's test in this segment will be Richland's successor Kaveri.

Fortunately for AMD, it's the market segment I'm currently interested in, and I expect to be building a A8-6600K-based mini-ITX box later this month. Unfortunately it looks like AMD have followed up the stupidity of not selling the A10-5700 in Australia by not selling its replacement the A10-6700 either. It's inexplicable.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Yeah, Kaveri is something that I'm really interested in.  Not because I want to buy it, because I'm not doing a new system no matter what for at least 2 years (barring catastrophic failure), but because it will introduce HSA, which, at least in theory, is a pretty exciting step forward.  At the very least, HSA should minimize latency of communication between the CPU and the GPU since they will be sharing the same memory and address space and won't have to make redundant system calls to fetch the same piece of data.  In theory, this reduced latency should more than make up for the reduced bandwith of standard DDR3 versus the GDDR5 of high end discreet GPUs.  Once DDR4 appears commercially (2014?), the bandwith issue should be further minimized.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Oh yes, HSA has me interested as well from a programming perspective. The Foundation released a programmer's reference manual for HSAIL (the intermediate language) a few days ago at http://hsafoundation.com/standards/ , but I've yet to take the time to read through it. I hope it will be picked up and implemented soon, by multiple interested parties if possible.

Fortunately for AMD, it's the market segment I'm currently interested in, and I expect to be building a A8-6600K-based mini-ITX box later this month. Unfortunately it looks like AMD have followed up the stupidity of not selling the A10-5700 in Australia by not selling its replacement the A10-6700 either. It's inexplicable.

Truly strange to not sell the most interesting processor of the series :/ Also here, there currently is just one shop that has it listed, but not yet available

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

Finally some decent testing of ULV (or ULT now) Haswell power consumption. The savings are genuinely impressive.

Yeah, on the mobile front, Haswell seems to be truly a big step forward.  

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Assuming it's meant to be a premium release with a clock speed bump, like the old Extreme Edition P4s, it does seem ridiculous, yes. Reports are a bit sketchy at the moment, there's stuff flying around like 220W+ TDPs and $800 price tags, but none of it is official as far as I can see.

On the other hand, if it's meant to be a replacement for the 8350 at a similar price point and TDP - analogous perhaps to Richland vs Trinity, then it's a fair enough product, really.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

It's no replacement for the 8350 at the same price and TDP - would that be the case, it would not only be fair enough, but great ;) No, it's an OEM-only product with about 220W TDP, at a premium price point - these things are confirmed by AMD (here in German, below "Update").

mkreku: Indeed, feels the same to me...

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

Heh, very much the new P4 then. Actually, no, the new P4 Prescott. Bulldozer's original launch being the god-awful Williamette (a backwards step in almost every possible way), Piledriver/Vishera being Northwood (surprisingly decent and reasonably competitive), and now this being Prescott (preshott ...sorry).

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G