Layoff hits Obsidian?

funcroc

I'm not sure I'm getting the 'german' thing :( . Still, nice to see that Tess has found a new job. When did those lay offs happen again?

Bigpoint is a german browsergame company. Also the guys behind Drakensang online.

• 3 months later...
Seems like Virginia is still quite alive!

Anthony Davis on Codex

Virginia is another Onyx engine based project. I can't say more about it than that. I worked on it, as did several others at Obsidian, but I don't believe I can talk about it.

Actually, considering he uses the past for the people that worked on it, it may very well be on hold or canceled. It's really not definite one way or another.

Seems like Virginia is still quite alive!

Anthony Davis on Codex

Virginia is another Onyx engine based project. I can't say more about it than that. I worked on it, as did several others at Obsidian, but I don't believe I can talk about it.

Actually, considering he uses the past for the people that worked on it, it may very well be on hold or canceled. It's really not definite one way or another.

Then again he uses "Is another Onyx engine based project". He would use was, if it was cancelled. It might be on hold, yes or it might only have few people working on it full time while rest help out when ever they can since SP and North Carolina come first.

Or he might get into trouble if he used "was" there to imply the project was cancelled ;)

Or...

Hate the living, love the dead.

Very hard to enforce it long term. Not to mention the process it takes and he difficulty to prove sucha link if he does so anonymously. This is why leaks occur quite often despite such existence of silly 'non-disclosure' agreements.

Just take a gander how many times leaks happen in various industries.. then take a gander how many times 'justice' is pursused and won...

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

• 3 months later...

From Obsidian's animator Andre Nguyen's twitter

Fellow Obsidianites who were laid off today...I was lucky, but I've been on the other end of that. Your talents will take you far! #keepgoin

http://www.linkedin.com/in/jsereno

After returning to the U.S. in the Fall, I resumed my position at Obsidian Entertainment to work on THQ's upcoming South Park RPG.

However, recent lay-offs have set my eyes on the horizon, looking for the next top-tier studio where I can share the wealth of my experience, feed my creativity, and hone my skills.

Experience

User-Interface Artist

Obsidian Entertainment

June 2008

Edited by funcroc

Oh, not again :/

123 -> 119 so far on LinkedIn.

Does that mean they finished some of the work on South Park? Did something bad happen to PNC? :(

Edited by Flouride

That's another reason why I really wouldn't want to work in the industry. Seems like you have to become a kind of job nomad in order to stay alive, going from one firm to the next.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Lead programmer and Lead producer from PNC laid off, that doesn't sound good :(

It's a shame that gaming industry just doesn't work as well as it could, I imagine it's really stressful to never know when you might get laid off due to publisher/pick a reason here.

Edited by Flouride

Guess they will need a kickstarter.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra