For people who don't want to watch the video a small introduction:

While I talk about leveling a lot and maybe even stress some obvious facts too often, the main focus of this buildguide is to showcase how strong a level 19 fighter/chanter is.

People who watched my streams will know I didn't discover all this on char creation screen and struggled a lot to find how to perfectly play this char, but yet it was always strong enough to not only solo Potd, but through lacking meta knowledge doing some quests in the wrong order (harder quests early, easier quests late).

So while I talk about every ability/talent that is worth picking I mainly want to show off how strong the brilliant invocation is in combination with mob stance and charge spam, keep in mind that the combination of summons and mob stance is what got me there, summons being available at level 1 and cleave stance at level 4.

I also think this class is one of the best TCS classes due to summons disabling the "you died" screen, fighting away from combat starting point, so enemies will have to run out of line of sight will either make your char get up from knocked down or at least let you rest and revive.

Since at level 19 you get the invocation upgrade summons are not part of my personal build anymore, but anyone is free to keep using them.

Without further ado the guide:

Any form of constructive criticism is appreciated. :)

Edited by Raven Darkholme
  • Like 4

There's not much to criticize because it's broken AF :).

Tbh you can combo anything with chanter and the summons will carry you earlygame while unlimited resources will break the endgame.

Edited by MadDemiurg
  • Like 2

https://www.reddit.com/r/projecteternity/comments/8jdvki/psa_might_is_probably_not_as_powerful_as_you/

Might being changed from multiplicative to additive probably means that you're over-valuing might vs. dex/perception in a build like this. Given that you're devoted perception likely isn't that important as your accuracy is probably quite high and you don't focus all that heavily on crit-based mechanics, but dex is probably better than might. 

Well, lvl 19 is of course super strong no matter what. But I would like to see how this mutliclass plays from level 1 to level 10 on Potd solo when you don't have any decent self heals and best gear, which some of them you have to aquire through some hard fights.

At lvl 19 there is no bad build- everything vaporize from screen anyway. 

Edited by Voltron

Well, lvl 19 is of course super strong no matter what. But I would like to see how this mutliclass plays from level 1 to level 10 on Potd solo when you don't have any decent self heals and best gear, which some of them you have to aquire through some hard fights.

Raven has played this combo solo from level 1 on his Twitch stream (victorcreed_twitch) although he's made regular use of respeccing so its not really the same build all the way through. That said, its definitely possible to do.

• Like 1

Is that chanter invocation the only ability in the game that comes with the "brilliance" inspiration?  Additional power source to every member of the party every 3 seconds that can be repeated endlessly without break?  Might as well enjoy being immortal and/or spamming cheap abilities like FoD endlessly while that broken mechanic exists.  With a party, you only need level 13 with a single-class chanter companion.  MC could be something really tanky, like fighter/paladin to breeze to level 13 and then everything is trivial after that.

Edited by Braven

Raven has played this combo solo from level 1 on his Twitch stream (victorcreed_twitch) although he's made regular use of respeccing so its not really the same build all the way through. That said, its definitely possible to do.

Yes, I just tried to do few of same encounters (I save a lot :p) with Fighter intead of Paladin to my Troubadour.

Conclusion: once you get Devil armor + some basic stuff most enemies deal close to no damage to you anyway. While Fighter was very good in killing group of enemies (because of Cleave Stance), he was running short on resources very fast. Most of his best abilities cost 2-3 resources and don't return vs Paladin 1 where you can spam sworn enemy on anyone and get cost back when you kill them. Also single target damage was meh (Penetraiting strike is good but you have use your Unbending, Vig. Defense, Charge which leaves very little for fast burst) vs Sworn Enemy->FoD. His rapid recovery is super strong and lasts way too long. Charge was good to get to backline pesky ranger or mage though, but I use summons for that anyway.

Overall It felt pretty much the same to my Kind Wayfarer. It trades AOE for Single target damage and being super resource hungry. What I don't like is having to pop Vig. Defense instead of just having passive +21 to all defenses.

Unbending was very strong but it has short duration and you can kind of have the same effect on using Kind Wayfarer FOD, but at same time bursting one target much faster and costs only 1 Zeal vs 2 and get big healing because it's full attack with bonus damage.

Mind I tested that when I already had Devil armor + Sashas and Sword of Yearwood + Lone Wolf ring so It was not really good testng. At that point you don't even use that much healing anymore as game slowly becomes too easy.

I think Fighter would struggle more in the early game than Paladin, but from mid to end game they are practically the same. But I prefer Paladin due to better single target damage and passives and not being so resource hungry so I can have more fun with his abilities.

But Cleave stance needs to be nerfed, it's just stupid how good it is. Paladin/Fighter would be totally broken....

Edited by Voltron

Might is the only additive damage modifier as far as I can tell, additive is only bad once you try to stack several of them.

Well, lvl 19 ...

I adressed this in my post... Chanter/Fighter is easy to level even without meta knowledge and doing some of the easy quests way later than harder quests summons and Veteran's recovery carry you a lot, since summons remove the death screen. Also cleave stance is most op when you get it and the levels after, but I only realized how good it is when I was level 10+. (ofc it never get's bad either)

Is this supposed to go into the build list?

I'm not sure because no [CLASS BUILD] or tags...?

I didn't know about requirements for this, I will adjust it tomorrow, thanks for noting this as you know I was gone from active forum life for a while. ;)

Is that chanter invocation ....

I know of no other ability with brilliant inspiration and even when I created my char I completely missed out on this and only realized it when I hit level 15 and selected the unupgraded invocation, looking at the upgrade.

Well, lvl 19 ...

I adressed this in my post... Chanter/Fighter is easy to level even without meta knowledge and doing some of the easy quests way later than harder quests summons and Veteran's recovery carry you a lot, since summons remove the death screen. Also cleave stance is most op when you get it and the levels after, but I only realized how good it is when I was level 10+. (ofc it never get's bad either)

Yeah, I tried Fighter and while I miss free Sworn Enemy and FOD for single target burst, it's definitely much stronger AOE clearer. HoweverI don't like that for Vigorous Defense I have to waste 2 resources and it doesn't last that long and that Unbending while good, also cost 2 resources and heal less than Flames of Devotion from Kind Wayfarer which costs 1 Paladin Resource. You burn resources on Fighter very fast.

If not for Cleave Stance I would not like Fighter at all, but Cleave Stance + Rapid Recovery is strong.

Cleave stance is what makes Fighter viable.

I didn't know about requirements for this, I will adjust it tomorrow, thanks for noting this as you know I was gone from active forum life for a while. ;)

It's not a requirement - it's just so that without it I can't find builds after one day or so - because they get buried too quickly under a ton of new threads while the forums are so busy. ;)

You can always shoot me a PM or post in the list thread if you want builds to be added of course.

• Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I think pure Fighter could be better becasue then you can dual wield Sasha's Sabre or Fin with maxed Modyr, which is super strong sword (probably strongest one) and easy obtainable on lvl 7-8 (at least thats when I soloed Old City). Though of course later in game nothing matters, but I think Devoted gives up too much really, as Sasha should be main weapon on War Caller and while on second weapon Fin Saber is also great, Modwyr is much better.

It gives immunity to Int afflictions, strong lash, recovery in combat and Bottom's Up.

nCHOFFr.png

Edited by Voltron

Might is the only additive damage modifier as far as I can tell, additive is only bad once you try to stack several of them.

Every damage modifier that says "+x% damage" or similar is only additive now as far as I know, you can easily see this when you mouseover your damage in the inventory screen or check combat log. So Might, Crit damage, weapon enchants, skills, passives, gear, pets, all add to one massive pool that then gets used as a multiplier for the damage. One exception to this is +x% damage dealt as x burn/corrode etc.", these are essentially multipliers of their own.

There are very few damage scalars that do not stack additively with might. The grave calling weapon you showed in your video has +70% damage by itself. 

There are very few damage scalars that do not stack additively with might. The grave calling weapon you showed in your video has +70% damage by itself. 

Dex would have definitely been better than, but I could also have dumped Res for it, Might is still not that bad compared to Res and Con.

Yeah, I tried Fighter and while I miss free Sworn Enemy and FOD for single target burst, it's definitely much stronger AOE clearer. HoweverI don't like that for Vigorous Defense I have to waste 2 resources and it doesn't last that long and that Unbending while good, also cost 2 resources and heal less than Flames of Devotion from Kind Wayfarer which costs 1 Paladin Resource. You burn resources on Fighter very fast.

If not for Cleave Stance I would not like Fighter at all, but Cleave Stance + Rapid Recovery is strong.

I am doing devoted/kindwayfarer for my first run (with companions). I went with low intelligence with the idea that I would pretty much just be using charge with fighter for AOE, along with the cleave stance. That saved me points for more perception which I want anyway for finding secrets and traps. Because of the resource costs are so high for fighter, and the passives (after tier 1) are so good, there is no reason to take other abilities and charge/passives get no help from Intelligence and cover the weakness of paladin (get too high threats quickly and AOE).

Paladin covers the single target, defenses. and healing with healing FoD and sworn enemy. Between both classes, you get pretty much every single passive defense boost and resistance in the game. Don’t need the fighter ones with all of that and the passives stack with everything, unlike activated abilities.

I would prefer a chanter hybrid if going solo, but no reason to when you can hire a single-class chanter with a party for access to brilliance much sooner. One of the campanions can be configured that way.

——

My general take-away for martial classes is that multiclass is just always better. The end level abilities are either not very good or just cost too much power source. Some, so much, that it is a headscratcher why you would even think to take them, even as a single class. Martial abilities seem to benefit very little from power level scaling, so being behind doesn’t matter and the best abilities are within the first three power levels anyway, so you are not really behind. Because it is better to get passives (more actives doesn’t help if you just spam the same one anyway), two classes gives way more. Also, you get the full power of the “tier zero” powers, which are very strong (faith/comviction, constant recovery...) and free (doesn’t take an ability pick). Also, of course, you get much higher total “power source points” with multiclass which is a lot better than power level.

Edited by Braven

I am doing devoted/kindwayfarer for my first run (with companions). I went with low intelligence with the idea that I would pretty much just be using charge with fighter for AOE, along with the cleave stance. That saved me points for more perception which I want anyway for finding secrets and traps. Because of the resource costs are so high for fighter, and the passives (after tier 1) are so good, there is no reason to take other abilities and charge/passives get no help from Intelligence and cover the weakness of paladin (get too high threats quickly and AOE).

Paladin covers the single target, defenses. and healing with healing FoD and sworn enemy. Between both classes, you get pretty much every single passive defense boost and resistance in the game. Don’t need the fighter ones with all of that and the passives stack with everything, unlike activated abilities.

I would prefer a chanter hybrid if going solo, but no reason to when you can hire a single-class chanter with a party for access to brilliance much sooner. One of the campanions can be configured that way.

Yeah, Paladin/Fighter is broken, especially that you can skip Unbending and Precision Strike since you have FoD with White Flame. Also Accuracy Aura + Cleave Stance.. and Vig.Defenses + Paladin Passive giving you +41 defenses ( LOL!). You have AOE, super healing, super armor, super defenses, super dps, super mobility... I think I will make one :D

After playing more with Fighter/Chanter I have to say that early game (when solo) : Paladin/Chanter > Fighter/Chanter. But later in game when you have good gear and grabbed that Charge, Cleave Stance and Rapid Recovery upgrade Fighter/Chanter > Paladin/Chanter.

But both are more than enough strong for solo in general.

Yep, my theorycrafting would agree with you. The resource cost of fighter matters much less at level 19 chanter since you get crazy amounts resource point regeneration. I would go high int with fighter for longer durations, saving some resource points. Technically, all you really need to survive at level 19 is unbending, since when combined with the 100% healing phrase and upgraded version, heals you back 150% of the damage you receive. I guess just maybe higher Con to avoid burst damage while the healing ticks back.

Paladin, through more efficent abilities and better defenses, for sure making a smoother difficulty curve and is still plenty powerful late game to make it trivial even if fighter is slightly better then. Also, it is much easier to dump Intelligence with paladin/chanter. They really have zero use for it with kind wayfarer and brisk recitation and the brilliance invocation lasts plenty long without it. Not sure if it affects summon duration...

Edited by Braven

Also another reason Pure fighter is better for solo than Devoted is that you can wield great weapon combos. Like for example this Rapier, which makes you immune to flanking (SUPER GOOD ON SOLO! and you can get it quite eary from Pirate Island Dunnande or something if grind gold a little and use some tricks) + Modwyr or Soon And Moon.

Soon and Moon has a 33% chance of hitting twice and also give +2 to Fire Power Levels and Squid's Grasp can be enchanted to give Parley - which gives 30% Recovery if attacked by whne threatened by 3 or more enemies (also great for solo)

DSMbqVD.png

So while Devoted is good for for example Sabers, because there are few decent ones or sword- you can loose a lot of good weapon combos that are actually great.

Edited by Voltron

Btw. Later in the game you can find another great Rapier and dual wield them too. It gives imo much more for solo player than dual Sabers:

Combined you get: No Flanked, -30% Recovery when more than 3 enemies from Squid, -20% Recovery perma from Rannig's Wrath, give you also free Evade skill (Squid). Imo it's worth to consider going Devoted for those two to combo. With Mob Stance you get pretty much  0 Recovery at the beginning of any fight with group of enemies.

Of course later in game everything works, but this combo is worth mention.

i0ZP2hy.png

Edited by Voltron

I don't think it matters much which weapons you use or if devoted or normal fighter.

If the DLC has some challenging content maybe...

If we talk about end-game- agree.

However levels 1-12 ca be still very challanging to solo, so if going Devoted player can at least aim at best combo as fast as possible.

So far above rapiers work great. Though swords are great too.

I miss some saber that would give good recovery bonus. Sasha's saber 2% per chant is kind of meh as in multi class you won't have that much chants.

I don't know, early game you can cheese a lot with summons, also yesterday I realized what a massive amount of xp you can get by exploring the ship map, some places give 2k xp.

Theoretically you can explore the whole map once you get out of Tut isle, afaik it is always possible to  outrun a ship that attacks you even if combat starts you can just turn your ship away from them and go full speed.

I don't know, early game you can cheese a lot with summons, also yesterday I realized what a massive amount of xp you can get by exploring the ship map, some places give 2k xp.

Theoretically you can explore the whole map once you get out of Tut isle, afaik it is always possible to  outrun a ship that attacks you even if combat starts you can just turn your ship away from them and go full speed.

In my main save I haven't done any main quest outside of Neketaka yet. Just by exploring half of the map while skipping the main islands I reached character level 17 (with party). When you explore the whole map including the tiny islands (while still skipping the big islands) I think it should also be possible to hit the level cap.

• Like 1