One idea I have been messing around with is a Berzerker/Wizard.

Basically your Fury plus Spirit shield is +5 armour. Once you get to level 4 you get Thick Skinned and Bulwark for +6 armour versus physical and +10 for elemental damage. Throw in all the long lasting Deflection buffs, Expose and Merciless Gaze for -2 pen and +15 hit to crit (45% total).

Late ron it gets stupid with Llengrad;s safeguard. Get the sword to stop confusing and then you can use the AoE fear spells to perma terrify everyone around you.

well I think its overkill, also you are trading that much resources into redundant  defences rather than damage and utility, and you need to buff all the time at start of the combat, but thats not a problem with ai scripts tho  

The thing is I am literally devoting one level 1 spell and one level 2 spell to get the 14 and 18 armour. Both have almost no cast time and no recovery. The pair of them have the same total cast time as Rage. Everything else is offence with extra armour pen, accuracy and crits.

Barbarian's weakness is being targetted and killed. With this setup you are basically unkillable from level 4 (minor regen to cover the chip damage).

Once you fix the Friendly fire problem you can perma AoE fear the enemy and kill them while they can't fight back.

The best thing is it does not look like it's under nerf attention like Beckoners and Swift Flurry.

Edited by Maxzero

My tier list:

Broken - Chanter, Monk

Almost broken - FIghter, Paladin

Maybe ok - Rogue, Barbarian, Druid

Somewhat meh - Priest, Ranger

From meh to broken - Cipher, Wizard (start weak, end up broken)

Some lower tier classes still have a lot of merit when multiclassing e.g. ranger.

Basically your Fury plus Spirit shield is +5 armour. Once you get to level 4 you get Thick Skinned and Bulwark for +6 armour versus physical and +10 for elemental damage. Throw in all the long lasting Deflection buffs, Expose and Merciless Gaze for -2 pen and +15 hit to crit (45% total).

Late ron it gets stupid with Llengrad;s safeguard. Get the sword to stop confusing and then you can use the AoE fear spells to perma terrify everyone around you.

well I think its overkill, also you are trading that much resources into redundant  defences rather than damage and utility, and you need to buff all the time at start of the combat, but thats not a problem with ai scripts tho  

The thing is I am literally devoting one level 1 spell and one level 2 spell to get the 14 and 18 armour. Both have almost no cast time and no recovery. The pair of them have the same total cast time as Rage. Everything else is offence with extra armour pen, accuracy and crits.

Barbarian's weakness is being targetted and killed. With this setup you are basically unkillable from level 4 (minor regen to cover the chip damage).

Once you fix the Friendly fire problem you can perma AoE fear the enemy and kill them while they can't fight back.

The best thing is it does not look like it's under nerf attention like Beckoners and Swift Flurry.

Rage isnt instant, right, i cant remember, because i don't run barbs, but, i think  start of the fight is crucial for seting up your meele guys, and if your barb is siting for a 5 seconds at start of each combat, that would be an issue for me.

I have my monk/chanter starting with swift strikes and  thunderous blows, but both are instant and with no recovery, so its a non issue 

Edited by divjak

Tenacious and spirit shield won't stack.

Well damn. Still get +1 armour though for 11 with fine Medium. With Thick Skinned thats 12 physical armour. Bulwark gives 13 elemental. Still enough to give -75% damage reduction.

Rage isnt instant, right, i cant remember, because i don't run barbs, but, i think  start of the fight is crucial for seting up your meele guys, and if your barb is siting for a 5 seconds at start of each combat, that would be an issue for me.

I have my monk/chanter starting with swift strikes and  thunderous blows, but both are instant and with no recovery, so its a non issue 

The pre fight buffing takes about 1.5 seconds.

Wizard's have some of the best protection spells (if not the best) in the game but no one uses a melee Wizard.

They are just overshadowed because Swift Flurry and Chanters just dominate everything at the moment.

Edited by Maxzero

Tier 2.5/Really Good If You Build Around It)  Barbarian.  I feel like Berserker needs to go here, but my experiences with it haven't been as exciting as I had originally hoped.  An Orlan Devoted/Berserker using Barbaric Smash has 100% crit conversion and a ton of bonus crit damage, but not being able to see my own HP / degening health is irritating, and carnaging my allies limits who I can put near them.  That said, the reliable crits are really good for high auto-attack damage and proccing On-Crit abilities like Quick Flurry or weapons that apply afflictions or bonus damage on Crit.  The other two subclasses are totally forgettable or actively self-defeating.  

well, its not hard to find items with resistance to intellect afflictions, so confusion issue becomes irrelevant, or multiclassing with fighter, there is a passive for that 

Wizard's have some of the best protection spells (if not the best) in the game but no one uses a melee Wizard.

They are just overshadowed because Swift Flurry and Chanters just dominate everything at the moment.

well i made eder a fighter rogue, he is pretty beast as well if you  build  him as dualwielder and give him awsome items, Modwyr is great for him(when i got it he complained that he would wont one too, so I gave it to him later on :D)

i think once you get into higher levels, if your build is good, all is powerful in some regard.

Xoti as priest/monk is pretty unkillable and has 20 accuracy buff for everyone, and a beefy summon , Maia as a pure ranger is a devastating crit machine that can dispell anbody, and can't be caught in melee..  

Edited by divjak

Way to early for me to reply here, lol.  At this rate I'll play every combination to level 10 and never finish the game.  Devoted/pillar and nature godlike pillar are both fun, effective, and strong.  Paladin/troubadour is all kinds of strong too.

Paladin(Darcozzi/Chanter(Troubadour) is exactly what I'm planning for my first big, major playthrough. How are you playing him? Planning on 12/10/10/16/16/14 front-line de/buffer. I know the stats aren't optimal, could sack RES to get better MIG but it's how I roleplay. I could make the split to 15/10/10/14/15/14 for a safer bet but I'm really leaning on the first one.

Way to early for me to reply here, lol.  At this rate I'll play every combination to level 10 and never finish the game.  Devoted/pillar and nature godlike pillar are both fun, effective, and strong.  Paladin/troubadour is all kinds of strong too.

Paladin(Darcozzi/Chanter(Troubadour) is exactly what I'm planning for my first big, major playthrough. How are you playing him? Planning on 12/10/10/16/16/14 front-line de/buffer. I know the stats aren't optimal, could sack RES to get better MIG but it's how I roleplay. I could make the split to 15/10/10/14/15/14 for a safer bet but I'm really leaning on the first one.

As a Healing Tank. https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/98968-class-build-the-healing-wall/ Except Elf instead of Moon Godlike.  Pretty much invincible after level 10 unless something casts arcane dampener on you.

Not my MC though.  I just wanted a different healer option to go along with Xoti.

Edited by Climhazzard

As a Healing Tank. https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/98968-class-build-the-healing-wall/ Except Elf instead of Moon Godlike.  Pretty much invincible after level 10 unless something casts arcane dampener on you.

Not my MC though.  I just wanted a different healer option to go along with Xoti.

wouldn't dual-wielding kindwayfarer be better  for healing, flames of devotion is a full attack so you get 2 healing ticks with each FoD, and paladins get enough deflection without a shield anyways, and there are much cooler enchants with weapons than shields in game

Stats look fine  

Although if you have Tekehu as Druid/Chanter, healing becomes trivial with so much regen stacking :D

Edited by divjak

wouldn't dual-wielding kindwayfarer be better  for healing, flames of devotion is a full attack so you get 2 healing ticks with each FoD, and paladins get enough deflection without a shield anyways, and there are much cooler enchants with weapons than shields in game

Stats look fine  

Although if you have Tekehu as Druid/Chanter, healing becomes trivial with so much regen stacking :D

I didn't want to take Tekehu.  I wanted Aloth, Maia, MC (striker), and Xoti.  So the build needed to be able to tank as well.  Kind wayfarer is certainly a good option though, better for just healing since dual wielding would make it much easier to react with lay on hands, and ofc they're FoD heals as well.  Shield Bearer really isn't bad though since their lay on hands makes you invincible.

Edited by Climhazzard

Stats look fine  

I didn't want to take Tekehu.  I wanted Aloth, Maia, MC (striker), and Xoti.  So the build needed to be able to tank as well.  Kind wayfarer is certainly a good option though, better for just healing since dual wielding would make it much easier to react with lay on hands.  Shield Bearer really isn't bad though since their lay on hands makes you invincible.

Yeah I can see that

Tekehu is so damn strong as Dr/Cha tho, you get regen and life steal  chants, heal and res  from invocations, moonlight, moon well, and nature balm to name a few

Also the summon he gets at level 1 druid is just plain insane, since it knocks with every strike

Also infestation of maggots is much better in Deadfire than POE1, since its area is so much larger, that rarely you will not get everyone with it, and that spells just accelerates DPS for everyone    

Edited by divjak

well i made eder a fighter rogue, he is pretty beast as well if you  build  him as dualwielder and give him awsome items, Modwyr is great for him(when i got it he complained that he would wont one too, so I gave it to him later on :D)

i think once you get into higher levels, if your build is good, all is powerful in some regard.

Xoti as priest/monk is pretty unkillable and has 20 accuracy buff for everyone, and a beefy summon , Maia as a pure ranger is a devastating crit machine that can dispell anbody, and can't be caught in melee..  

Oh I agree. Comparing late power is kinda redundant because just like PoE 1 its the early game thats the challenge.

Speaking of which with the level scaling working in the beta that construct has 48 deflection in PotD. My perception 20 Berzerker was missing quite well.

I wonder if buffed PotD is going to go back to it's roots with accuracy being king?

Edited by Maxzero

once  you have a priest with Devotions of the faithful accuracy becomes non issue

You get 20 acc boost which is equivalent as having 30 perception, but base perception is still important for traps and secrets

now they cant buff monsters in such way that you only can hit if you have a priest with Devotions, because that would make priest mandatory in every party, I think buffing enemy AI so they use more interrupts, and dispells would make game harder but balanced in a same time 

Edited by divjak

I use a Swift Flurry Melee Wizard, Psyche - Seems pretty good.

Also I rate Single Class Monk bottom tier simply because I can't beat the Xaurips you find in the forest directly after leaving the zone your ship crashes.

That's my benchmark as I'm still deciding on what class to play, I'm playing everything up to a certain point, a few hours worth - But the ol' monk can't even get past this fight, so bottom tier.

• Like 1

once  you have a priest with Devotions of the faithful accuracy becomes non issue

You get 20 acc boost which is equivalent as having 30 perception, but base perception is still important for traps and secrets

now they cant buff monsters in such way that you only can hit if you have a priest with Devotions, because that would make priest mandatory in every party, I think buffing enemy AI so they use more interrupts, and dispells would make game harder but balanced in a same time 

But thats my point. Is Xoti going to be compulsory for PotD? Or is every weapon damage class going to have to take Fighter in a multi?

• Like 1

But thats my point. Is Xoti going to be compulsory for PotD? Or is every weapon damage class going to have to take Fighter in a multi?

all attacks, weapon or spell require accuracy, your accuracy goes against deflection, will, fortitude or reflex.

I don't think there are auto-hit abilities, except buffs (except maybe wizard missiles, not sure tho).

I play o POTD and didn't have many issues with acc, as your 20 perception barb did, maybe you have something bugged, still its a random roll, so maybe you had bad luck 

Edited by divjak
  • Like 1

all attacks, weapon or spell require accuracy, your accuracy goes against deflection, will, fortitude or reflex.

I don't think there are auto-hit abilities, except buffs (except maybe wizard missiles, not sure tho).

I play o POTD and didn't have many issues with acc, as your 20 perception barb did, maybe you have something bugged, still its a random roll, so maybe you had bad luck 

No what I saying is that I didn't have problems but I am thinking towards the future. Level scaling alone has a level 2 tutorial mob at 48 deflection in the beta patch.

When everything is level scaled on release (as opposed to now where nothing is) THEN they tune PotD on top of that it may well dramatically change the game.

Edited by Maxzero
  • Like 1

No what I saying is that I didn't have problems but I am thinking towards the future. Level scaling alone has a level 2 tutorial mob at 48 deflection in the beta patch.

When everything is level scaled on release (as opposed to now where nothing is) THEN they tune PotD on top of that it may well dramatically change the game.

what do you mean by level scaling has it alone?

Doesn't level scaling means that mobs scale to your current level, if selected to all, and with the option only scale up it scales only enemies that are lower level than yours

You add accuracy to your roll and reduce the score by enemy deflection, so that means you just need to roll higher, but i think that just boosting stats to make game harder, is a lazy approach 

Edited by divjak
  • Like 1

Doesn't level scaling means that mobs scale to your current level

You add accuracy to your roll and reduce the score by enemy deflection, so  that means you just need to roll higher, but i think if just boosting stats to make game harder, is a lapproachoach

Currently level scaling is broken. It does not work whether you click it on or not. On the beta it does work.

Think most min maxers will probably run level scaling (otherwise the guy gets boring easy like it does now).

So just by that alone the game will be harder once this patch comes out this week.

The patch after that is when they will scale up the difficulty of PotD.

Just from playing on the beta patch I can feel the extra stats on scaled up mobs.

It feels like there will be a significant boost in enemies defences.

Edited by Maxzero
  • Like 1

You add accuracy to your roll and reduce the score by enemy deflection, so  that means you just need to roll higher, but i think if just boosting stats to make game harder, is a lapproachoach

Currently level scaling is broken. It does not work whether you click it on or not. On the beta it does work.

Think most min maxers will probably run level scaling (otherwise the guy gets boring easy like it does now).

So just by that alone the game will be harder once this patch comes out this week.

Just from playing on the beta patch I can feel the extra stats on scaled up mobs.

I dont think level scaling makes game harder, actually if put to scale all, it arguably makes game easier, its basically  like in vanilla skyrim, everyone is at your level, you could go into area that is hard in vanilla, and monsters there would be scaled down.

If for instance you would do quests and battles without level scaling in such way that you do them at right time  and  sequence that match your current level, it would be the same as  if you had level  scaling on 

Level scaling is for people who wont to  have constant difficulty that matches their level while going in places they whish to go, more sandboxy, and only scale up is for people  who missed some  fights at low level, and to not make them trivial later on  

Edited by divjak
  • Like 1

snip

well, its not hard to find items with resistance to intellect afflictions, so confusion issue becomes irrelevant, or multiclassing with fighter, there is a passive for that 

Have you tested this?  I think this confusion is hardcoded.  

I gave my Berserker both immunity and resistance to intellect afflictions via various sources and noticed that he was still carnaging my allies...

• Like 1

I dont think level scaling makes game harder, actually if put to scale all, it arguably makes game easier, its basically  like in vanilla skyrim, everyone is at your level, you could go into area that is hard in vanilla, and monsters there would be scaled down.

If for instance you would do quests and battles without level scaling in such way that you do them at right time  and  sequence that match your current level, it would be the same as  if you had level  scaling on 

Level scaling is for people who wont to  have constant difficulty that matches their level while going in places they whish to go, more sandboxy, and only scale up is for people  who missed some  fights at low level, and to not make them trivial later on  

But it will be harder then now because if you do a lot of side content you will 100% outlevel content and there is no way to scale it up.

How many people know the 'correct' event order now? Hardly anyone I would say.

• Like 1

snip

Have you tested this?  I think this confusion is hardcoded.  

I gave my Berserker both immunity and resistance to intellect afflictions via various sources and noticed that he was still carnaging my allies...

I personally have tested it plenty. There are numerous ways to make sure confusion never pops on frenzy. Post a pic of your combat log if you need clarification

• Like 1