I will say that it's rather interesting in its own way that at least 3 of your companions are tied to factions; Serafen to the Principi, Maia to the Deadfire, and Pallegina to the Valians.  And at least a silver lining is that there's no secret about it.  I suppose if one really didn't want to get so involved in the factional intrigue and risk losing a valued companion, one could always refuse to use any of these three for long and transition to using non-aligned companions or sidekicks.  But even then, it seems that the companions/sidekicks also have other dispositional issues that could cause you to lose them.

What's a poor "Good and Benevolent" Watcher to do?  :unsure:

The most benevolent thing to do is let all your companions die honorably in combat and then use sidekicks and mercs from that point on :p

I'm doing such a run right now, I created a custom history where basically I did all the good things, but all companions are dead and I plan on doing the same in PoE 2. I'll do their quests, then let them die.

Personally I haven't finished the game or all the faction stuff, only some. But my opinion so far:

1. VTC predominantly selfish greedy merchants

2. Huana. They're village people who are trying to grow into a nation, but their systems and customs don't work on a large scale nation size matters. So their people suffers.

3. RDC, same as VTC, but a lot more militaristic and less mercantile

4. Principi, pirates, I mean nothing more to say really.

I definitely choose the Vailian, everybody else is a slimy ****roach really. I can't stand any of them. The Vailians are FAAR from being good, but at least they are not pretentious **** trying to sell you that they are doing good here.

I will probably make a playthrough for Huana then Pirates after, but I just get sick from the Deadfire Company.

Eh.  DTC seems to be the only rationale actors in the area. A few discrete 'tidying up' of details (and a few people) seems a lot better than wholesale murder/slavery, destruction of souls, and/or wide-scale repression and literally feeding the bulk of the population garbage (and just murdering the ones that fall ill).

Only if you think the colonization of India was a good thing (and if you do, you need to do some research into the state of india under British rule).

They're out and out there to conquer the deadfire, are purposefully racist and dismissive towards the inhabitants, and self assured of their own superiority. We have real world history that shows us where that goes, and it is extraordinarily unpleasant.

The Valians operate like a merchant republic. They aren't particularly interested in colonial rule. They want trade concessions, and they'll be ruthless about it, but they aren't in it to take over a place, and, ultimately, it leaves their control more fragile and less.... awful to the natives.

The natives are just... eh. They're ****, but they're **** in a way that is probably less dicking themselves than other people would **** them, because they're all **** in the end.

And the pirates are pirates. Like, yeah, they're bad people. Duh.

And the VTC are completely fine with slavery, and wiping out anyone that stands against their trading posts. Sure they won't try to rule the locals, but if the locals don't comply with their demands, they will just wipe them out. That came very clear in the council session at the end of the game. You can compare it to the colonization of America; We will leave you alone, if you leave us alone, and maybe even work together/trade with each other a bit, but if you stand in our way we will destroy you. And how did that ended for the locals?

All of them have goods and bads really. It was the whole reason I went in alone at the end, as they were never going to change for the good even if you sided with them. So '**** them all' seemed the best option for me; They got to start working together or plunder the world in chaos. They chose the latter at the end (A bit disappointing ending really. Was hoping their was a way for everyone to get to work together a bit).

• Like 1

I do find it interesting how Serefen seems to be only charcter who doesn't leave the party as result of not choosing their faction as he is fed up with Principi anyway by end game(at least on my playthrough) and because Principi is only faction that doesn't care to intervene with other three? I do wonder what happens in ending where you choose to ignore all factions though

I just finished a playthrough where I went in alone at the end. Killed Furrante at the end of the Principe missions and Aeldys on the island itself after I pretty much stole the ghost-ship from her (she followed me apparently) and while I didn't had Serefen with me for the majority of the gameplay, he seemed alright in the small ending text about him. He become the new leader (or one of its leaders it wasn't very clear) of the Principe.

None of your followers leave I think. I only had Mia as a faction follower this run, but she was fine with supporting no-one, as she seemed slightly annoyed with the lack of cooperation from the mayor powers.

As for the topic; Does the factions always stay so extremely generic? I pretty much told them Eothas was going to destroy the wheel and maybe even end the world, and they still sticked with their stupid reasoning. The world is going to end, but no I got to think about the trade. Or lets raid the lost old city. Or nobody is welcome except us, it's our lost city, etc.

Maybe It was because of my decisions I made, but I highly doubt that. I agreed with Eothas reasons to destroy the wheel, to pretty much force everyone to work together to overcome the catastrophe. I tried to steer everything in that line, sparing as much people as I can, helping everyone, trying to create alliances, but didn't seem to do much for the main factions. They all sticked to their generic reasoning. The only one that I thought might wanted to cooperate with another faction was Canta Nirro from the Vailian trading company, and he got banned right before the end, and taking over by Alvari, (Which I couldn't stop because of some choices I made) whos first quest was to blow up the Royal company....

Was a mayor downer for me in the game.

well the world isn't ending as such...just the heaven and hell part gonna be broken..sorta lol so those who are alive , of course they don't care . It's all about the now and the here . Add to that , when you meet the leaders of the factions..beside some 'reports' , they didn't see what you saw and they don't even know you . 

yeah , it's kinda sad you can't get them to agree in the end . Mind you , maybe not all of them since they have different goals . But would have been nice..

Maia will try to leave if you side with Valliante . romanced or not (I was romancing her when she told me she gonna leave ) and turned the valliante down cose I had no plan on siding with zerka corp ! 

I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?

Elderly Hive Dweller

I ended up going with Aeldys' ruled Principi and none of my companions left ( i was romancing Maia, so maybe that's the reason why she didn't leave?), had to fight the Hazanui on deactivating the mcguffin, but she didn't seem to react to me killing her boss, so whatever.

The worst part is that i didn't get too keep the Ghost Ship.

Really pissed about that.

Though the ending slides were kinda effed, took me a while to realize that i basically ****ed Port Maje and Tikiwara by completing Maia's quest. Kinda feel bad about it. Now i'm wondering if i can purposefully **** that quest up, without pissing Maia off.

Edited by Juodas Varnas

So unless you go alone, otherwise you will lose at least 2 companions no matter which faction you choose?

I didn't go alone, i went with the Aeldys - led Principi and didn't lose any companions (except for the ending slides saying Pallegina got sunk in a ship, but the body was never found - so i assume she sprouted wings and ****ed off or something)

Edited by Juodas Varnas

So unless you go alone, otherwise you will lose at least 2 companions no matter which faction you choose?

not if you join the pirate . didn't lose anyone . If you side with the Valliante , Maia will leave . Don't know about the rest . And I was romancing her too! she still wanted to leave . 

• Like 1
I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?

Elderly Hive Dweller

Tekehu can at least be convinced to not leave party(I kinda doubt its possible on Rauatai's path though because of what the heck you have to do in final mission) even if you aren't on Huana path, but on Maia I don't know if there is any other method of keeping her in party than avoiding talking to her until you are in the final island? About Pallegina I have absolutely no idea

• Like 1

not if you join the pirate . didn't lose anyone . If you side with the Valliante , Maia will leave . Don't know about the rest . And I was romancing her too! she still wanted to leave .

Side with the queen and she leaves as well. Have a conversation but not being able to convince her to stay, maybe choose the wrong dialogue.

well the world isn't ending as such...just the heaven and hell part gonna be broken..sorta lol so those who are alive , of course they don't care . It's all about the now and the here . Add to that , when you meet the leaders of the factions..beside some 'reports' , they didn't see what you saw and they don't even know you . 

yeah , it's kinda sad you can't get them to agree in the end . Mind you , maybe not all of them since they have different goals . But would have been nice..

Maia will try to leave if you side with Valliante . romanced or not (I was romancing her when she told me she gonna leave ) and turned the valliante down cose I had no plan on siding with zerka corp ! 

It just doesn't make sense. At the beginning they don't know what is happening, all they know is that there is a God wandering through the world leaving a path of destruction in it's wake. But none of the leaders seem to care much about it, as the majority of the missions are about trades, rivalries, etc. Sure they shouldn't drop their differences and own priorities right away, but just completely ignore what is happening? Even if they just get the majority of the info from my reports, they know about the destruction it's doing.

They don't even seem to bother putting their differences aside for the greater good, which is just lame really. They stick to much to their generic characters to make it feel realistic. It's easier for the story telling and to create missions (4 parties that pretty much hate each other), but its a pretty terrible design I would say.

It just doesn't make sense. At the beginning they don't know what is happening, all they know is that there is a God wandering through the world leaving a path of destruction in it's wake. But none of the leaders seem to care much about it, as the majority of the missions are about trades, rivalries, etc. Sure they shouldn't drop their differences and own priorities right away, but just completely ignore what is happening? Even if they just get the majority of the info from my reports, they know about the destruction it's doing.

They don't even seem to bother putting their differences aside for the greater good, which is just lame really. They stick to much to their generic characters to make it feel realistic. It's easier for the story telling and to create missions (4 parties that pretty much hate each other), but its a pretty terrible design I would say.

it kinda get even worse . in my game , at the end when you are about to reach the final . That leader of rauata show up and tell me 'You cannot stop Eotha , none can' . and she died (and Maia didnt say squat  :getlost: but will leave me if I don't side with her faction urgh) . Yet that same person never believed us in the beginning . 

Soooo.....maybe we needed some Volcano eruption ? like ask Eotha to do more damage ?  :w00t:

Elderly Hive Dweller

I definitely choose the Vailian, everybody else is a slimy ****roach really. I can't stand any of them. The Vailians are FAAR from being good, but at least they are not pretentious **** trying to sell you that they are doing good here.

I will probably make a playthrough for Huana then Pirates after, but I just get sick from the Deadfire Company.

Eh.  DTC seems to be the only rationale actors in the area. A few discrete 'tidying up' of details (and a few people) seems a lot better than wholesale murder/slavery, destruction of souls, and/or wide-scale repression and literally feeding the bulk of the population garbage (and just murdering the ones that fall ill).

Only if you think the colonization of India was a good thing (and if you do, you need to do some research into the state of india under British rule).

They're out and out there to conquer the deadfire, are purposefully racist and dismissive towards the inhabitants, and self assured of their own superiority. We have real world history that shows us where that goes, and it is extraordinarily unpleasant.

The Valians operate like a merchant republic. They aren't particularly interested in colonial rule. They want trade concessions, and they'll be ruthless about it, but they aren't in it to take over a place, and, ultimately, it leaves their control more fragile and less.... awful to the natives.

The natives are just... eh. They're ****, but they're **** in a way that is probably less dicking themselves than other people would **** them, because they're all **** in the end.

And the VTC are completely fine with slavery, and wiping out anyone that stands against their trading posts. Sure they won't try to rule the locals, but if the locals don't comply with their demands, they will just wipe them out. That came very clear in the council session at the end of the game. You can compare it to the colonization of America; We will leave you alone, if you leave us alone, and maybe even work together/trade with each other a bit, but if you stand in our way we will destroy you. And how did that ended for the locals?

All of them have goods and bads really. It was the whole reason I went in alone at the end, as they were never going to change for the good even if you sided with them. So '**** them all' seemed the best option for me; They got to start working together or plunder the world in chaos. They chose the latter at the end (A bit disappointing ending really. Was hoping their was a way for everyone to get to work together a bit).

It doesn't compare to America. America was a colonial enterprise. The Rauatai are more likely to pursue that than the Valians. To see how the Valians would treat the natives, you have to link back to.... well the societies the valians are pretty much ripped from. They're Italian merchant republics. We saw where merchant republics went and what they did, which was very often not pleasant, but far less not pleasant than colonialism. But their power was always fragile and reliant on making good deals.

Ultimately, the republics are too fractious to be completely domineering, and their control over the isles will not be a strong one, a concerted effort would push them off. The Rauatai, once they are in, will be there for centuries to perpetuity. No amount of effort would force them out, they would have to have a shift in societal priorities to ever lose their grip or have the entire empire collapse.

I'd be much more inclined to side with the huana if the huana leadership weren't outright scummy arseholes though.

• Like 1

it kinda get even worse . in my game , at the end when you are about to reach the final . That leader of rauata show up and tell me 'You cannot stop Eotha , none can' . and she died (and Maia didnt say squat  :getlost: but will leave me if I don't side with her faction urgh) . Yet that same person never believed us in the beginning . 

Soooo.....maybe we needed some Volcano eruption ? like ask Eotha to do more damage ?  :w00t:

Maybe it's on purpose. Eothas wanted to not only teach the gods a lesson in humality to show that they are man made and can be destroyed by them, but as well show the Kith how egocentric they are, by creating a situation in which they have to work together to overcome the crises. If you chose not to support anyone, one of the Gods mention that even when facing an apocalyptic crisis the four factions cannot set their differences aside. That they might deserve to die out.

It would fit the narrative at least, but still feels wrong.

Maybe it's on purpose. Eothas wanted to not only teach the gods a lesson in humality to show that they are man made and can be destroyed by them, but as well show the Kith how egocentric they are, by creating a situation in which they have to work together to overcome the crises. If you chose not to support anyone, one of the Gods mention that even when facing an apocalyptic crisis the four factions cannot set their differences aside. That they might deserve to die out.

It would fit the narrative at least, but still feels wrong.

kinda hypocrite of them , considering everytime they summon you..they are bickering just the same as the leader you leave behind  :rolleyes:

if he wanted to destroy the gods , why would he agree to give his power in the end to a chosen god of your choice though ? 

Elderly Hive Dweller

if he wanted to destroy the gods , why would he agree to give his power in the end to a chosen god of your choice though ? 

Wait, can you actually choose which god gets the power?

yeah . I choose berath..cose everyone else was scary  :biggrin:

Elderly Hive Dweller

He doesn't want to destroy them, but provide the Kith the opportunity to do so. If the Kith manage to repair the Wheel and restore the reincarnation cycle, I would assume they find out a way to remove or add the soul siving part which keeps the gods alive. If you think one god has the best qualities to guide the Kith in your eyes the right direction, you can provide him more power to achieve this. (doesn't have to be fixing the wheel, you can chose the God that wants to destroy everything really).

And yeah that's why Eothas wants to 'punish' both the Gods and the Kith; Destroying the wheel would force the Kith to work together, but as well 'force' the gods to put the Kiths above themselves and their own bickering who is the best, or what is the best of the Kith, as the Kith can destroy them.

That's atleast what I thought Eothas goal was; Gods that work for the Kith and not vice-versa, and an organised, allied Kith. If they cannot achieve this, they can die (Only the gods or both of them).

Edited by Synx

He doesn't want to destroy them, but provide the Kith the opportunity to do so. If the Kith manage to repair the Wheel and restore the reincarnation cycle, I would assume they find out a way to remove or add the soul siving part which keeps the gods alive. If you think one god has the best qualities to guide the Kith in your eyes the right direction, you can provide him more power to achieve this. (doesn't have to be fixing the wheel, you can chose the God that wants to destroy everything really).

And yeah that's why Eothas wants to 'punish' both the Gods and the Kith; Destroying the wheel would force the Kith to work together, but as well 'force' the gods to put the Kiths above themselves and their own bickering who is the best, or what is the best of the Kith, as the Kith can destroy them.

That's atleast what I thought Eothas goal was; Gods that work for the Kith and not vice-versa, and an organised, allied Kith. If they cannot achieve this, they can die (Only the gods or both of them).

the only issue I have here..is : he is forcing the choice on everyone . 

Which considering what he is supposed to represent..it just feel wrong on every level . 

Doing it out of pity , mercy , greater good...regardless , as soon as you force something without the consent of those who are in the equation , you just walked that line . 

Elderly Hive Dweller

I think you may have missed the part with the Duape where they not only tricked the natives into pretty much signing over their land and becoming slaves to the VTC, but the Vailians admit that it is pretty much Standard Operating Procedure for them and is how they are acquiring land and taking over. The East India Trading Company was supposedly just a trading company yet they were the tool of British colonialism in India.

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

Which considering what he is supposed to represent..it just feel wrong on every level . 

Doing it out of pity , mercy , greater good...regardless , as soon as you force something without the consent of those who are in the equation , you just walked that line . 

It's a flaw in the story telling really, as the wheel always gets destroyed. I suppose it needs to get destroyed for PoE3 story. But yeah it should have been possible to change his mind, or just destroy the gods or even destroy everything. Would fit better in his own reasons for destroying the wheel.

The story would be much better if that would be possible. He wants to put the fate of the world in the hands of the Kith, and depending on how the 4 powers develop during the game you can pretty much chose what happens. Destroy the wheel and force them to work together, or die, show the kith the gods are manmade and can be destroyed by them to force the Gods in line, or maybe even the option to destroy the whole world as you cannot see them ever get along with each other.

Edited by Synx

It's a flaw in the story telling really, as the wheel always gets destroyed. I suppose it needs to get destroyed for PoE3 story. But yeah it should have been possible to change his mind, or just destroy the gods or even destroy everything. Would fit better in his own reasons for destroying the wheel.

The story would be much better if that would be possible. He wants to put the fate of the world in the hands of the Kith, and depending on how the 4 powers develop during the game you can pretty much chose what happens. Destroy the wheel and force them to work together, or die, show the kith the gods are manmade and can be destroyed by them to force the Gods in line, or maybe even the option to destroy the whole world as you cannot see them ever get along with each other.

it was kinda misleading . I mean some of his dialogue , really made me think he was I dunno..maybe reveal the truth of the gods to every mortal . 

But then he come and decide to break the wheel ! I was like 'What?! how is that showing the truth to everyone ?' . 

I mean , at the beginning of the game . That elf lady (who you could've romanced in another lifetime ') and the flashback . She does say 'Let peoples make the choice , let them see' . 

But seeing and what he is doing...it's like what the Emprore did in Jade Empire . 

I do hope there will be a POE3 ! 

Elderly Hive Dweller

for some reason i never seem to be able to gain favor with the principi pirates - even when doing quests for them, its always neutral... or negativ when doing stuff against them

kinda off topic lol but if you wanna side with them...don't do stuff against them . 

Elderly Hive Dweller

for some reason i never seem to be able to gain favor with the principi pirates - even when doing quests for them, its always neutral... or negativ when doing stuff against them

kinda off topic lol but if you wanna side with them...don't do stuff against them . 

even if i resolve quests in their favor i don't get positive reputation.... and they just challenge me to fights all the time, what am i supposed to do? not choose the "punch him" option in conversations??

I definitely choose the Vailian, everybody else is a slimy ****roach really. I can't stand any of them. The Vailians are FAAR from being good, but at least they are not pretentious **** trying to sell you that they are doing good here.

Eh. DTC seems to be the only rationale actors in the area. A few discrete 'tidying up' of details (and a few people) seems a lot better than wholesale murder/slavery, destruction of souls, and/or wide-scale repression and literally feeding the bulk of the population garbage (and just murdering the ones that fall ill).

Eh. You're leaning too hard on real world history that isn't relevant (or even replicable in this setting- there isn't a major tech disparity, for one thing)and ignoring the fantastic elements that are extremely relevant. The adra and soul issues, which are major elements of what makes the valians and huana terrible, are far more pervasive than 'maybe the DTC will make the deadfire like India.' Somehow, despite the lack of similar conditions. Its actually more similar to Hawaii- either cultural absorption or irrelevance.

Though I understand why you might feel that the DTC is worse, and its a problem for the game as a whole. The DTCs cultural imperialism is relatable. The others, Like the main plot, arent relatable human issues, just fantasy gibberish with no staying power or relevance. Wacky soul theory and active gods (who don't act) and magic rocks that hold souls. It isn't the kind of thing that matters here, but would be a big deal there, far more impoetant than who owns which rock. And whether a terrible culture is erased by a sane one (which is the view the game presents- the huana feed their working population leftover rotting slop, and simply kill them when they fall ill)

Edited by Voss