See the title. Are there any good streams of the backer beta outside the Dev streams? I'd like to see one where the player is familiar with Pillars 1 and has a decent amount of system mastery, or at least basic competence and an ability to read. Most of the streams I've seen have inept people constantly wiping on normal or breezing their way through easy difficulty and never having any idea what they're doing. Not very informative as regards the new systems.

Honestly I'd just wait until the new backer updated drops - anything shown now would be from a months old build and from what we've been told via twitter/tumblr and etc. a lot has already changed since we had a beta build to test with.

Assuming a beta update will ever show us up-to-date build. We will get might back and test the new resolve upgrade, but I will be surprised if they actually release more updates (like the revamped passive skill tree). So far they kept everything underwraps after initial feedback. Don't know if they just want to make sure it's good before showing it, or if they prefer to make a best impression on launch.

• Like 1

Honestly I'd just wait until the new backer updated drops - anything shown now would be from a months old build and from what we've been told via twitter/tumblr and etc. a lot has already changed since we had a beta build to test with.

Assuming a beta update will ever show us up-to-date build. We will get might back and test the new resolve upgrade, but I will be surprised if they actually release more updates (like the revamped passive skill tree). So far they kept everything underwraps after initial feedback. Don't know if they just want to make sure it's good before showing it, or if they prefer to make a best impression on launch.

The lack of general information re: any sort of beta update for the last several weeks (since not getting one at the top of this month) has me a little confused, honestly. They delayed the game and I thought they would get us an updated beta to play with and provide feedback on that might then get into the day 1 patch at the new launch date. Maybe that's still the plan, but a lack of any sort of update is kind of baffling to me. Even just an official "new backer beta is coming, we are aiming for next week" type of update?

Edited by bleedthefreak

The lack of general information re: any sort of beta update for the last several weeks (since not getting one at the top of this month) has me a little confused, honestly. They delayed the game and I thought they would get us an updated beta to play with and provide feedback on that might then get into the day 1 patch at the new launch date. Maybe that's still the plan, but a lack of any sort of update is kind of baffling to me. Even just an official "new backer beta is coming, we are aiming for next week" type of update?

Honestly the only reason to not say anything is 

1. They do not know when they will release one and they aren't going to say until they are ready. 

2. They do not intend to release one and do not want to irritate fans.

And it would irritate me considering I paid for it.

1. They do not know when they will release one and they aren't going to say until they are ready. 

I would say 1. They talked about new beta couple times so we know one is in works. When I pressed Josh about beta release a while ago, he said they are not revealing dates until release as they don't want to miss one. As an example he said they were aiming for a release the same day I bugged him about it, but it isn't ready. 

If they said they are not doing beta and focusing on finishing the game I don't think many people would be irritated. I wouldn't. Still.... so this week?

I would say 1. They talked about new beta couple times so we know one is in works. When I pressed Josh about beta release a while ago, he said they are not revealing dates until release as they don't want to miss one. As an example he said they were aiming for a release the same day I bugged him about it, but it isn't ready. 

If they said they are not doing beta and focusing on finishing the game I don't think many people would be irritated. I wouldn't. Still.... so this week?

I'd be a little irritated.  Hell, I'm a little irritated by this whole process so far. Whole development cycle we've gotten, what, two beta's total so far? It's definitely leaning on the side of "lack of communication from developer". That being said, it's a pretty minor irritation IMHO.

I'd be a little irritated.  Hell, I'm a little irritated by this whole process so far. Whole development cycle we've gotten, what, two beta's total so far? It's definitely leaning on the side of "lack of communication from developer". That being said, it's a pretty minor irritation IMHO.

Yeah, I just wouldn't have paid money if I had known this is all we would get from the closed beta. They specifically promised more than that, which is why I would be annoyed. It's twenty bucks, it's not remotely a big deal. No one will care as long as the game is good. But it would absolutely keep me from ever spending money on another closed beta in the future because they will have proven they just cannot be trusted to deliver on their word. 

Edited by PatrioticChief
  • Like 2

Yeah, I just wouldn't have paid money if I had known this is all we would get from the closed beta. They specifically promised more than that, which is why I would be annoyed. It's twenty bucks, it's not remotely a big deal. No one will care as long as the game is good. But it would absolutely keep me from ever spending money on another closed beta in the future because they will have proven they just cannot be trusted to deliver on their word.

A beta is always a beta. It's not the full game, it's buggy, it lacks all features and most important of all it's about giving feedback to the developer. And they've delivered exactly that.

I think you've got your expectations wrong about what a beta is all about.

• Like 3

I'll do it, for a turnip.

DnD item quality description mod (for PoE2) by peardox

With early access being sold these days as a playable and enjoyable product (at best of times) the higher expectations are not surprising. But that is also why this beta could be accessed by supporting project via fig, and is not sold as a product. Looking from afair at beta of PoE1 it is pretty much what I expected so far.

• Like 1

A beta is always a beta. It's not the full game, it's buggy, it lacks all features and most important of all it's about giving feedback to the developer. And they've delivered exactly that.

I think you've got your expectations wrong about what a beta is all about.

I think you misunderstand what the complains are. On my end at least, I'm complaining about there being only three beta releases over the entire development cycle. I'm complaining about a *lack of updates*, not about bugginess, etc.

I think you misunderstand what the complains are. On my end at least, I'm complaining about there being only three beta releases over the entire development cycle. I'm complaining about a *lack of updates*, not about bugginess, etc.

My reply was to the one quoted, which wasn't you.

But regarding your complaints; what do you mean by "the entire development cycle"? Cause you realize that a beta only exists at the very end of the development cycle, right?

I think the reason they have only a few updates is because they want feedback on substantial changes. Not fifteen minor fixes done daily.

But again, it should be noted that the beta period is for the developer to get feedback, not for the player's enjoyment.

• Like 1

My reply was to the one quoted, which wasn't you.

But regarding your complaints; what do you mean by "the entire development cycle"? Cause you realize that a beta only exists at the very end of the development cycle, right?

I think the reason they have only a few updates is because they want feedback on substantial changes. Not fifteen minor fixes done daily.

But again, it should be noted that the beta period is for the developer to get feedback, not for the player's enjoyment.

And I replied to you anyway. So...yeah. That's a pointless observation.

By "entire development cycle" I mean...the entire development cycle. I don't know how I can be more clear. Yes, I realize the beta only occurs in the last portion of it, although "at the very end" is a bit of a stretch.

Nobody said anything about fifteen minor fixes daily, but one a month as they originally stated would have been really nice. Hell, *more than three in a nine month period* would have been appreciated. They've *really* dropped the ball on that.

Again, "enjoyment" isn't something being mentioned or discussed here. Lack of engagement from the developer is being discussed here.

Nobody said anything about fifteen minor fixes daily, but one a month as they originally stated would have been really nice. Hell, *more than three in a nine month period* would have been appreciated. They've *really* dropped the ball on that.

Again, "enjoyment" isn't something being mentioned or discussed here. Lack of engagement from the developer is being discussed here.

Why would once a month be "nice"? Again, the beta isn't for your enjoyment, it's for the developer to get feedback. If they only needed feedback on the three versions they have released, then it's the exact amount of updates both necessary and needed.

• Like 1

Why would once a month be "nice"? Again, the beta isn't for your enjoyment, it's for the developer to get feedback. If they only needed feedback on the three versions they have released, then it's the exact amount of updates both necessary and needed.

Then they should not have explicitly stated they would provide more than that when selling the backer beta. I do not want to come across as rude but this seems really simple to me. Your argument is equivalent to saying the purpose of a car is transportation. If the car dealership misled you about the existence of additional features, you shouldn't be upset, because it is still capable of transporting you. That's absolutely bonkers to me. When I pay for something I expect to receive exactly what the seller says I am paying for. The fact that you seem unaware of the promises made prior to the sale of the closed beta access is fine but don't pass off your ignorance as intelligence. Your argument about the purpose of the beta in no way shape or form contradicts my argument.  

Now I don't care because it's only twenty bucks and I have received some value from the purchase, even if it is not as much as I was promised. Not to mention the base game is probably going to be a significant steal in terms of dollars per hours of entertainment anyway. So this experience is not enough to substantially change my opinion of the company. As long as they continue to make good games I will continue to buy their game. IT DOES mean I will be reluctant to buy this particular product again.

Edited by PatrioticChief

Then they should not have explicitly stated they would provide more than that when selling the backer beta. 

What more, specifically, have they promised, that you have not got in the backer beta already?

"Get an early look at Pillars II and give the team feedback during its remaining development. New features will be added the first Thursday of every month, leading up to the release of the game in Spring 2018." 

This is the description for the product Obsidian sold. So this is what I expected when I bought the product. That is not what we have received and we have not received any communication why that is.  But, and I cannot stress this enough, I don't really give a **** because it was only 20 dollars. Anyways, I hope I did not come across as rude. We are all fans. But irritation over a vendor not providing all of the elements described in their product description is about as reasonable as it gets. 

• Like 1

Last time I was on Twitch there was a 24/7 Deadfire stream in which the author hosted other users playing Deadfire beta. That was pretty nifty :)

But I haven't been on Twitch in forever due to getting new phone.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Why would once a month be "nice"?

Because that was what they told us they would do and what I expected when I paid to acquire the Backer Beta. It would be "nice" if they had followed through with the specific statement of what they were going to provide. It's not a big deal--it's a fairly minor irritation--but it's not an unreasonable irritation, either.

• Like 1

"Get an early look at Pillars II and give the team feedback during its remaining development. New features will be added the first Thursday of every month, leading up to the release of the game in Spring 2018."

I agree, they could have been better regarding communication (and not just regarding beta, I mean it's their forum but they basically have more interaction on Something awful) but I still maintain that the main purpose of a beta, as pointed out in the first sentence of the quote, is to give feedback.

But I suppose we (or atleast I) are nitpicking now. I should drop this.

Edited by Mannock

I agree, they could have been better regarding communication (and not just regarding beta, I mean it's their forum but they basically have more interaction on Something awful) but I still maintain that the main purpose of a beta, as pointed out in the first sentence of the quote, is to give feedback.

But I suppose we (or atleast I) are nitpicking now. I should drop this.

I've seen devs post on RPG codex too so it's not because they fear a hostile environment. Weird.