Level Scaling: All, crit path only or none? Thoughts?

I won't touch any level scaling with a stick. I love to smash my head against too tough encounters, but I also enjoy passing through content that I've out-levelled. Having played Dungeon Siege 2 recently, I felt that it did all this the way I like it. Skyrim's constant scaling  or MotB super gnolls are choking our sense of progress, achievement and fun. Let the game world reflect the development and journey of my party, pretty please.

• Like 4

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I won't touch any level scaling with a stick. I love to smash my head against too tough encounters, but I also enjoy passing through content that I've out-levelled. Having played Dungeon Siege 2 recently, I felt that it did all this the way I like it. Skyrim's constant scaling  or MotB super gnolls are choking our sense of progress, achievement and fun. Let the game world reflect the development and journey of my party, pretty please.

Agreed. Whilst I don't want to completely out level all content it is a lot of fun to fight enemies that you once found challenging and beat them easily because you're more powerful. I think DA:O did this well with ogres: you fight an ogre early on and it's basically a tough boss fight, then later on ogres become just another enemy type.

Pillars actually did this pretty well I think, at least in the early and mid game. On PotD the two forest lurkers near the shrine of Galawain are very tough if you fight them as early as possible (so of course I always do), but later on you'll regularly fight forest lurkers as part of bigger encounters along with delemgans etc. and they're very manageable. Where Pillars went wrong was towards the end where completionists would often completely out level the game.

• Like 2

Completely random; some level scaling, some not. Let the player explore and find out, rather than following some heuristic.

That doesn’t sound prudent to me. You could end up with paper-dragons or impossible, godlike early game encounters.

No, that's not what I'm saying. If you're following the main quest, you shouldn't necessarily know there is (or isn't) level scaling in all of the encounters.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

To me the obvious choice is the "Level Scale Upward Only" option, so everything in Deadfire is at least up to your Level.

No Paper-Dragon & if you run into a Godlike Encounter, well... Now you know.  :lol:

Try Hard or Comeback later, as we used to do back in the day.

One thing is certain, for me, I don't want things to scale down & made easier.

Nothing beats the feeling of winning a "Godlike Encounter", [you're supposed to Lose], because you played really well to earn victory.

Edited by DexGames
  • Like 1

there is a thing I don't understand.

Why "only scale upward" is not a difficulty mode/already included ?

If not it is really personnal shopping. "I will take a little of this or of that".

More there are options, more PoTD means nothing.

Edited by theBalthazar

Completely random; some level scaling, some not. Let the player explore and find out, rather than following some heuristic.

That doesn’t sound prudent to me. You could end up with paper-dragons or impossible, godlike early game encounters.

No, that's not what I'm saying. If you're following the main quest, you shouldn't necessarily know there is (or isn't) level scaling in all of the encounters.

Yeah, sorry, I misread your post.