Devoted changes?

KDubya

It looks like Devoted were changed to getting +2 penetration instead of +3 but it applies to all proficient weapons, not just a single one.

I guess it was easier to tone them down a bit rather than try and recode the proficiency pick system.

Looks like a pretty easy solid pick now.

I’m pretty sure the Devoted shouldn’t be able to pick multiple proficiencies (I.e. they’re still going to fix that regardless of the nerf.) Sucks about the nerf, though. Now you need a multiclass synergy to get what a single-class Berserker user to give you from day one? :(

Edited by AndreaColombo

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

If its now only +2 penetration and +25% crit damage AND being restricted to one weapon, not sure its such a sweet pick anymore. At +3 it was slightly better, +2 penetration is what you usually get for picking a different damage type.

As far as multiclassing goes, a Berserker is still the go to choice for damage dealing melee - attack speed, strength buff, armor buff, penetration buff, plus extra damage for being surrounded and extra speed on kill just can't be beat. As Devoted drops in value using Monks, Ciphers, paladin or Rogue starts to look more appealing.

Warriors still have a serious advantage, and that is armored grace. You can go full armored and have good attack speed. +  In the upgraded defender mode gives you 5% recovery reduction per enemy attacking you. So all you have to do is armor up equip the heaviest weapon available and you will be an unkillable lightning fast juggernaut. 

When the enemy damages will go up late game the other classes will struggle while the devoted will not.

The problem is—Devoted was very popular, which is a clear sign of good design that people enjoy. If other classes are unappealing, it’s not the Devoted’s fault; it’s not the Devoted that should be nerfed. I agree at +2 it’s not as good a deal for losing the versatility.

My issue with using Berserker for speed is that its speed boost doesn’t stack with either Lightning Strikes or Potion of Deftness; Armored Grace does. A Fighter still technically makes it easier to reach 0 recovery.

Edited by AndreaColombo
  • Like 1

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

The problem is—Devoted was very popular, which is a clear sign of good design that people enjoy. If other classes are unappealing, it’s not the Devoted’s fault; it’s not the Devoted that should be nerfed. I agree at +2 it’s not as good a deal for losing the versatility.

My issue with using Berserker for speed is that it’s speed boost doesn’t stack with either Lightning Strikes or Potion of Deftness; Armored Grace does. A Fighter still technically makes it easier to reach 0 recovery.

But u can use lighter armor as Berserker, because your armor rate is already 3 ahead of other class. So u don’t need Armored Grace.

Agreed.

Right now, with 2W style Fighters still have an advantage to reach 0 recovery. If that becomes a general talent and the Devoted stays at +2 penetration, there won’t be much of a reason to play Devoted over Berserker.

I hope this doesn’t become true or I’ll need to bid farewell to the LoP :(

Shield Mastery of Unbroken is nerfed to +1 Armor rate too.

WHY????

Its not like it was brokenly overpowered or anything. At +2 armor it could kind of compete with the mechanical advantages that dual wielding offers. At +1 it just seems way too underpowered, especially considering how unwieldy it is to try and set up situations where their massive disengagement attack would ever come into play.

Now you might as well roll a Devoted who dual wields with a shield in the other slot for when you need extra tanking ability. 

These nerfs really feel uncalled for. This stuff wasn’t OP. If it ain’t broke...

I’m pretty sure the Devoted shouldn’t be able to pick multiple proficiencies (I.e. they’re still going to fix that regardless of the nerf.) Sucks about the nerf, though. Now you need a multiclass synergy to get what a single-class Berserker user to give you from day one? :(

As far as multiclassing goes, a Berserker is still the go to choice for damage dealing melee - attack speed, strength buff, armor buff, penetration buff, plus extra damage for being surrounded and extra speed on kill just can't be beat. As Devoted drops in value using Monks, Ciphers, paladin or Rogue starts to look more appealing.

Probably gonna look like an idiot here, but sell me on Berserker.

Like, the chances of me taking a class that's only powerful when it's Confused, and that self-confuses is... 0%, basically. Are you always comboing it with an Intellect inspiration or resistance from something to get around that? I thought I remembered someone talking about one of the races having Intellect resistance, or something like that to combo with it, but I just looked and I can't find anything.

Anyway without something like that it just sounds way too annoying to play, for me. Having to constantly find ways to stop the Confuse from happening.

Fighter can clear Confusion with Tactical Barrage; Monk with the Clarity of Agony update; Paladin with a passive. Or just bring along a Priest and use Suppress Affliction ;)

Fighter can clear Confusion with Tactical Barrage; Monk with the Clarity of Agony update; Paladin with a passive. Or just bring along a Priest and use Suppress Affliction ;)

Alright, so Berserker/[Fighter/Monk/Paladin] sounds like it might be okay then, but probably still not for me. For one thing, all of those abilities are Rank 4, it looks like, so you'd go through much of the early game without them. Paladin is probably the least annoying, since it's passive, and I could see myself making like a Berserker/Bleak Walker, cause that would be hilarious and thematic.

Actually maybe I'll try that later this week.

The other combos would probably be a bit annoying to me, and having to wait til rank 4 in the full game would probably make me uninterested. Also outside of those combos I can't see myself ever wanting to play a pure Berserker or any other multi, having to depend on another party member (priest) to be able to get a spell off on him every fight or risk having him murder my own team sounds way too stressful to me. ;)

Edit: Oh, you can't even get to rank 4 abilities multiclassing in the Beta, so I made that Berserker/Bleak Walker for nothing :/

Edited by Answermancer

The downside from the Berserker is that friendly fire happens, which is not all that bad.

Anyone standing too close gets hit with your Carnage. If you are a Kind Wayfarer and use your healing FoD you heal both your team and the enemy :)

That's it. Its not as if you lose control and you randomly hit your team mates with your battle axe.

The Berserker gets you the +2 armor and the +2 penetration over the normal rage, plus you take damage yourself and hit your team with Carnage. If that is too much look at the Corpse Eater or the normal Barbarian. (Can't really recommend the Mage Slayer as its malus to spells applies to its own abilities). All get the bonus damage from being blooded, faster attack speed from Bloodlust, extra damage from One Stands Alone, the Might and Con boost from Rage, extra armor from Thick Skin.

Barbarians have a lot of useful powers and abilities. Blend it with something with a defensive boon like a Paladin, Priest of Wael, Trickster or Wizard and you shore up its weakness regarding poor deflection.

Confused is only level 1 Affliction in Deadfire, I think players still think about POE 1 Confused when they play Deadfire, so they have a impression that it's annoying to have Confused on. Imo it's bad for casters, but not a big deal for melees.

Edited by dunehunter

That's it. Its not as if you lose control and you randomly hit your team mates with your battle axe.

Confused is only level 1 Affliction in Deadfire, I think players still think about POE 1 Confused when they play Deadfire, so they have a impression that it's annoying to have Confused on. Imo it's bad for casters, but not a big deal for melees.

Wait, you don't lose control? Just friendly fire? Really?? I had no idea, I guess I should actually try that Bleak Walker/Berserker I made then.

Shows what I know then, I didn't think it had changed from Pillars 1. That is kinda problematic though, since I don't think most people would expect that, and might write off the subclass the same way I did... (again, I read the description and just noped right out of there).

Wait, you don't lose control? Just friendly fire? Really?? I had no idea, I guess I should actually try that Bleak Walker/Berserker I made then.

Shows what I know then, I didn't think it had changed from Pillars 1. That is kinda problematic though, since I don't think most people would expect that, and might write off the subclass the same way I did... (again, I read the description and just noped right out of there).

Yeah I think a lot ppls will think Confused is bad because they didn't pay attention or have no access to beta. You can check my post here https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/95330-affliction-changes-from-poe-1-to-2-and-spell-rebalance/ about some big Affliction changes here. Confused won't make u lose control, it just gives u -5 INT and friendly fire.

Edited by dunehunter

Good thread, thanks for the link.

Man I think that's really gonna confuse people though (okay, I couldn't help myself, sorry, but it's true!).

I can't think of another game right now where confusion doesn't mean some loss of control at least. Not that I think it's a bad change mechanically. Confuse, Charm, and Dominate were all pretty samey in the last game, so I think mechanically it's actually a pretty cool idea that distinguishes these effects.

But I think it will be pretty unintuitive to people, though,

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for coming in from the side here, but why does Devoted class get several weapon proficiencies? The class description clearly states the class is focused on one single weapon type.

Is all this working as intended or is it something they are going to fix?

I'll do it, for a turnip.

DnD item quality description mod (for PoE2) by peardox

Isn’t that a Sharpshooter? ;D