Merasiel's Desterity ability not activating

retupmoc258

Question

Before the most recent update, whenever I would use Blessings of Erastil (blessing for combat dexterity) or the other one for non-combat Dexterity on Merasiel's turn to boost her Ranged attacks, it would give me the option of recharging them.  Now, it doesn't.  Based on how those blessings work (i.e. for Dexterity and Dexterity-based skills, including Ranged: Dexterity), I should be able to recharge those blessings (or any others, frankly) for a Ranged combat.  But how it doesn't.  I haven't seen Merasiel's ability trigger at all since the update.

I've also noticed another weird bug in connection with this.  Whenever I try to use a blessing like this in such a situation with Merasiel, I can click the button to look at other options and it will show me Ranged: d4 + 0 and Dexterity: D12 + 3.  So . . . something's definitely wrong in the programming there because Merasiel has Ranged: Dexterity +1 or +2 by default.

I've also noticed something buggy about the Vicious Greataxe and the Vicious Trident.  Sometimes when I attempt to play them, it glitches out and then the card acts like it is no longer usable.  Recently, I tried to discard it on Velaros and it didn't even ask me to discard a card, like it's supposed to.  I also didn't get any extra dice.  I had exactly one other card in my hand to discard, so it should have worked.

I should also mention that this is only on the Android app that I've had this problem so far.  I haven't played on my PC since the update to test that, but I might get around to it at some point.

Edited by retupmoc258

19 answers to this question

Here's a screenshot of Merisiel during a fight, showing the glitch I talked about. I did not play anything except the longbow and then did this.

Also, for the first time, I used a blessing of Seranrae with Kyra and it didn't let me recharge or put it on top like usual. That feature has been working during this update, but randomly didn't this time. It happened on the third scenario of the basic adventure, the one with black fang, which spawned a skeleton right after my fight where I used the blessing.

Alright, I just checked and Merisiel does not have the Ranged skill.  I'm definitely surprised.  But in that case, all blessings Merisiel uses when I play a Dexterity-based weapon should be rechargable.  It's still not working, though.

Also, apparently the image is too large, so it didn't upload.  Plus I didn't know I had to press a button to make it do so.  Anyway, now I know at least that parts not wrong.

To me it seems like the blessings now automatically switch the check to Ranged (this Merisiel does not have it) instead of the Dexterity. How many and which dice were shown on the screen? If you e.g. use Sling, Meri should have 1d12 + 1d6 + x (her bonus to Dexterity) and it will be a dexterity-based combat check with several more traits. If you then discard a blessing to help her, it should become 2d12 + 1d6 + x (most blessings) or 3d12 + 1d6 + x (Erastil, Lamashtu-bury and such). If the dice are 2d4 + 1d6 or 3d4 + 1d6, the check has become (incorrectly) a Ranged combat check. And because Merisiel does not have the Ranged skill, it is not a dexterity-based check, therefore the blessings should not recharge. :(

You can always change the skill to the correct one (Combat(Dexterity)) and then it should work as expected.

Some cards change the skills in such way (e.g. the Ayruzi ally from AD6 can add 1 die to your check, or 2 if it is a Divine check - sometimes, the game selects the "higher amount of dice" choice and instead of e.g. Dexterity 2d8 you now have Divine 3d4 if you do not have the Divine skill).

No, it is coming through as a dexterity check.  Here's a screenshot I took today.  I played the Frost Longbow +1 and then discarded a Blessing of Erastil to give me two extra dice.  I took the screenshot, then rolled.  It would not let me recharge the blessing.

I also just tried it on my computer.  Same problem.  Actually, I also played a Blessing of Seranrae with Kyra who has the similar ability to put her blessings on top or shuffle them in when she plays them, but it wouldn't let her do anything with the blessing.

It also occurred to me to ask: Does the scenario matter?  I'm testing this on the third basic scenario with Black Fang, but I'm pretty sure I've seen the problem with Merisiel on the 5th adventure.  Kyra usually works, but not on this scenario.

So, I went and tried the last scenario of Adventure 5 and now Kyra's ability is working, but Merisiel's does not.  I wonder if they programmed something that only allows a character's role abilities to activate if you are playing past Adventure 3?

post-186372-0-08667500-1511207387_thumb.png

Edited by retupmoc258

Interesting :( The developers definitely need to look into this - my Kyra, Merisiel and Seelah are all "dependent" on recharging their blessings to work at top performance.

Yeah.  It's a bummer.

Though, if it is related to the bug where Valeros can't recharge his discarded weapons, a team of elite programmers is already on the case.

Last time an issue like this cropped up, it affected a few of the post-turn recharge powers.

• Like 1

Also, I have been posting glitches and other bugs through this forum.  Is there somewhere else you can report a bug?  It doesn't look like Developers actually look at these.

They do.  Lots of bugs get added to their work list even if they don't specifically acknowledge it.

If you're looking for a personal response, try sending off an email to support@obsidian.net, but otherwise they harvest many of their bug reports from these forums.

I just recently tried playing with Valeros and Seelah in one of my parties.  Seelah's ability does work still.  His makes you recharge his blessings when you use them, so that isn't broken.

Valeros, on the other hand, didn't work.  It wouldn't give me the option to recharge my weapons when I discarded them.  I feel like I've been able to recharge my weapons with my other party that has Valeros during this update, but I don't know.

This playthrough was on the computer, by the way.  Don't know if that makes any difference.

I just recently tried playing with Valeros and Seelah in one of my parties. Seelah's ability does work still. His makes you recharge his blessings when you use them, so that isn't broken.

Normal difficulty, Adventure 5, Android - my Seelah has 'shuffle B. of Iomedae' power. When Blessing of Iomedae is used to explore or help to get a boon, the Discard/Recharge/Shuffle does appear, but when used on Recharge checks or against Monsters (probably, can't recall precisely), the blessing goeas straight into discard. So, her ability is at least partly affected by this bug. Edited by Jenceslav

Well, they don't seem to be in much of a hurry to fix this... They fixed some of the other bugs much quicker.  I wonder if they're also trying to release something else, or if they're really struggling in trying to fix this issue by reworking something (I know that can take a while).

Small team; 3 programmers and a lead. If they are working on *anything* else (and we have hints that they are), then bugfixing is probably something that they can only get to in fits and starts. Hopefully we get something sooner rather than later, but it's also possible that this is something that they need time to fix (and test) correctly.

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

Small team; 3 programmers and a lead. If they are working on *anything* else (and we have hints that they are), then bugfixing is probably something that they can only get to in fits and starts. Hopefully we get something sooner rather than later, but it's also possible that this is something that they need time to fix (and test) correctly.

I think there will probably be update relatively soon.

If you're willing to believe the rumors, there should be a patch going through QA right now.  Based on historical trends, unless something comes up, we're likely to see an update in the next few business days.  

Patch Warning Level: Imminent :p

• Like 2

1.2.8.6 is coming.  Trying to get it to you folks early next week if possible.

Definitely taking on the Valeros thing, some additional Unicode fixes, Ranzak's Ransack fix, and card sorting issues.

The fix for Valeros' recharge might be a global thing for all recharge powers.  We hope so, at least.  

Something more official and verbose will be coming from Aarik/Mikey.

-F

P.S. Ethics is reading our thoughts!

• Like 2