Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Penetration/Armor should be more linear

penetration armor

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

mifest

mifest

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 3 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

If you have 8 Pen vs 8 Armor you deal full damage as if enemy has no Armor

If you have 7 Pen vs 8 Armor you deal 30% damage as if you have no Pen

1 Pen/Armor either make a 70% damage difference or make no difference at all

I think this mechanics should be more linear and make every point of Pen/Armor counts, for example:

1 Pen = 5% more damage and 1 Armor = 5% damage reduction

• Heijoushin, theBalthazar and GrimAugur like this

TheC

TheC

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 27 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I have to agree that Penetration is FAR too important a stat right now. Perhaps -20% dmg for every point lower up to say -80% and maybe +5% for each point above capped at the same 30%

All-or-nothing with something this important causes a lot of builds and weapons to become almost completely useless.

• Katarack21 and Lamppost in Winter like this

cheesevillain

cheesevillain

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 230 posts
  • Deadfire Backer

Agree. It needs a heavy tweaking.

However, the new system is easier to understand and more elegant, and it makes the value of different types of damage (slash, pierce, burn) easier to understand.

• Insidous likes this

Lamppost in Winter

Lamppost in Winter

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 324 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I have to agree that Penetration is FAR too important a stat right now. Perhaps -20% dmg for every point lower up to say -80% and maybe +5% for each point above capped at the same 30%

All-or-nothing with something this important causes a lot of builds and weapons to become almost completely useless.

-20% per point below sounds very reasonable, I think.

AndreaColombo

AndreaColombo

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5386 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

I agree the penetration/rating system is currently too "all or nothing."

It's a good system but it needs to be more gradual. As it is now, stacking penetration is the be all and end all; no other thing comes close in importance as being just 1 point short of your enemy's armor rating curbs your DPS to the point your contribution to combat is nil.

A gradual approach would make penetration a strategic and/or tactical concern on par for afflictions, buffs, etc..

• theBalthazar and Insidous like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: penetration, armor

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users