Injury System is way too brutal

Vladmorik

Removing permadeath means that both food and campfire supplies are useless since you won't even see a necessity to keep your resources up. And forcing through could result in a perma loss depending on your save state. Also if you don't want perma death Sawyer stated on stream that story mode won't have the 4 wounds=death thing btw, let us people that want go through POTD have our challenge.

No reason to remove it. I just *really* appreciate that toggle in the menu. That way there's *no damn problem*.

If this game has permanent character death and I have to play on ****ing story-mode to get rid of it I'll be way pissed. I *hate* permadeath.

Edited by Katarack21

Why not set penalty the amount of per encounter abilities instead of debilitating the character performance?

I see the dreams so marvelously sad

The creeks of land so solid and encrusted

Where wave and tide against the shore is busted

While chanting by the moonlit twilight's bed

trees (of Twin Elms) could use more of Magran's touch © Durance

Why not set penalty the amount of per encounter abilities instead of debilitating the character performance?

The only way I could see this working is by reducing the amount of power source available which to me seems like a bad idea, and potentially even more harsh than the current method as I find the power sources to be a little shallow as they are (especially with many abilities costing multiple points, but according to Josh some of those costs are being reduced in the update). I think this would only encourage rest spam even more - I don't mind going into a fight with no health, but go into a fight with no abilites?? no thanks. Not to mention this really wouldn't effect single class Ciphers or Chanters at all as they don't really have any per-encounter abilities.

• Like 1

Apparently the devs want permadeath in so it's ok by me. But if it's gonna be in it better be something reflected in the game (the loss comes up to conversations, companions who were close to the decased gain a permanent rage or mourn or something buff/debuff, if the character was killed by a faction let it have meaningful reaction to the pc etc).

• Like 1

Apparently the devs want permadeath in so it's ok by me. But if it's gonna be in it better be something reflected in the game (the loss comes up to conversations, companions who were close to the decased gain a permanent rage or mourn or something buff/debuff, if the character was killed by a faction let it have meaningful reaction to the pc etc).

I'll just reload. **** permadeath.

• Like 1

I'll just reload. **** permadeath.

I usually don't like permadeath in story driven games either, but if it's done right (like the reaction take effect at the very moment) then I might just go for it.

Of course there are always other ways to have companions die, like making a bad decision in a scripted interaction/cut-scene etc. Bioware has done this a lot and it's cool sometimes; when it makes sense.

I enjoy dramatic character death in cut scenes as the culmination of story elements, not in gameplay as a by product of the RNG.

Yeah, I'm more into that too although that can be done poorly too :p

Like an arrow killes them (when up till now have recieved like 10k of them :p ).

All I'm sayin' is, since they want to include it, better do it with style ;)

I would be sad if perma-death were removed, just as I was when KOTOR or Dragon Age didn’t have it. That said, in the game perma-death is not really a thing. It’s too easy to avoid a situation of being in danger of character dying and being a kind of game it is, loosing a irreplaceable party member feels too much like a hard fail state to not to reload.

Certainly, there could be a more interesting system, which would punish players for failing without cutting out game content. I think this is really the difference between game with good&bad perma death. If loosing and replacing companions a game content or does loosing companion just cut out game content. In XCOM loosing teammates is fun, as replacing them and dealing with problems which loss of experienced soldier brings is the game. Playing XCOM without loosing people gets old very quickly. In cRPG interactions with NPC is kinda the game. If there is enough content tied to loosing a companion, getting someone killed and rolling with it might be worth a loss of the companion. Otherwise you just lock yourself out of part of the game.

• Like 1

I think people might think differently of rest spamming if food was fully implemented. Like if you had 10 high dollar rare meals that added something like 2 Pen, 10 accuracy and 1 regen/second, I dunno. Good stuff. Certainly I would feel pressured to put off resting as long as possible.

In much the same way as I only ever ate food once in Pillars of Eternity (before the first time I killed the Adra Dragon on PotD) I suspect I will rarely ever use high end food (particularly if it's tied to a crafting system). I'll just have a mountain of hardtack in my stash and, under the system as it currently is, will rest every time one of my characters gets injured.

Feels very much like a step back from Pillars' camping supplies system.

• Like 3

In much the same way as I only ever ate food once in Pillars of Eternity (before the first time I killed the Adra Dragon on PotD) I suspect I will rarely ever use high end food (particularly if it's tied to a crafting system). I'll just have a mountain of hardtack in my stash and, under the system as it currently is, will rest every time one of my characters gets injured.

Feels very much like a step back from Pillars' camping supplies system.

Yeah, I'm a little worried about this too. A food hoarding and crafting system ends up so fiddly, especially if the same materials are used for other stuff like upgrading equipment. And it's so easy to get into a pattern of "saving" limited consumable resources "until you need it," which ends up meaning you never use it because you never feel like it's the right time.

I do like the concept more than the purely consumable "pre-buff" model of food in Pillars 1 though, so I'm cautiously optimistic.