Political Ocean's 11

Amentep

Look at it on the bright side. If universities keep churning out legions milk blooded lilting pansies then in a few more years we'll going to take this whole f-----g show over and run this place! :lol:

Who is we in this context?

Well, I was really attempting to be humorous by ripping off a line from the original Planet of the Apes. But to answer your question the "we" would be the people who can read f-----g play without feeling so traumatized they need to see a f-----g therapist afterwards.

Well some people that were victims of attacks like in the play might have some reason to be upset. There is a warning in the notes, how is that skin off your nose?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Look at it on the bright side. If universities keep churning out legions milk blooded lilting pansies then in a few more years we'll going to take this whole f-----g show over and run this place! :lol:

Well, I was really attempting to be humorous by ripping off a line from the original Planet of the Apes. But to answer your question the "we" would be the people who can read f-----g play without feeling so traumatized they need to see a f-----g therapist afterwards.

Well some people that were victims of attacks like in the play might have some reason to be upset. There is a warning in the notes, how is that skin off your nose?

c'mon, what percentage of people these days are personally exposed to rape or murder? 0,01%?

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Doesn't matter. Well unless you are really upset over wasted time and ink, maybe. Seems similar to the warnings you see on movies on TV,heh.

I guess the Mail really is on to something

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Doesn't matter. Well unless you are really upset over wasted time and ink, maybe. Seems similar to the warnings you see on movies on TV,heh.

I guess the Mail really is on to something

no its not, did you thought about people with arachnophobia? there needs to be warnings about possibility of seeing a spider in house, and what about people scared of heights? Where is limit for this?

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Fine. If anyone whose lover was murdered and then dragged into the woods, raped, and had her hands and tongue cut off feels upset about it I'll sympathize. Otherwise my advice to the poor little dears is to either cowboy the f--k up or read something else.

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

No the percentage affected matters as much as it is effective. They can waste their effort if they like, but not seeing how this is a line to burning books or something similar. Seeing spiders in the hall is different than material in a play as the latter is guaranteed. Again the warnings you see on TV are quite similar and no one cares.

Fine. If anyone whose lover was murdered and then dragged into the woods, raped, and had her hands and tongue cut off feels upset about it I'll sympathize. Otherwise my advice to the poor little dears is to either cowboy the f--k up or read something else.

So it's just that people not as hard as you exist that is making you upset?

No the percentage affected matters as much as it is effective. They can waste their effort if they like, but not seeing how this is a line to burning books or something similar. Seeing spiders in the hall is different than material in a play as the latter is guaranteed. Again the warnings you see on TV are quite similar and no one cares.

Right... because there is no history of people wanting the things they find offensive being banned altogether. Someday these poor little dears will be in positions of political power. 

Granted we are talking about something that MIGHT happen but hasn't yet. But it's not a stretch to imagine what has happened before can happen again.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Actually nothing about the story upsets me. I really posted it in the spirit of "hey look at this stupid crap". But I am surprised at the people who think the poor little dears have a legitimate point. 

Thomas Sowell

Yeah, bit reaching to fight that battle over this, though. They might have a point, am not a psychologist and at worst case...some one wasted ink. Seems like a whole lot of nothing to be concerned about

Edited by Malcador

I think the effective difference is that if something comes up on TV with content you don't like, you can flip the channel or turn off.  The content of a course isn't something you can opt out of.  Its for that reason that I think a lot of academics feel that the warnings 'help' as you can't avoid the content.

I think the crux of the matter is whether the trigger warning is ultimately effective - ie to complete the course you still have to experience the content and so the question is, is it possible to effectively mitigate that with simple foreknowledge.  If the answer is 'no' then the question is raised of what purpose the trigger warning serves (and is it a step on some slippery slope type of thing) and if the answer is 'yes' then certainly they can have a place provided you look at whether in so protecting the individual are you slowing down their own progress towards recovery or speeding it along.

And I don't think there's any one answer to that.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Yeah, bit reaching to fight that battle over this, though. They might have a point, am not a psychologist and at worst case...some one wasted ink. Seems like a whole lot of nothing to be concerned about

Many small burdens add up to a big crushing burden

I think the effective difference is that if something comes up on TV with content you don't like, you can flip the channel or turn off. The content of a course isn't something you can opt out of. Its for that reason that I think a lot of academics feel that the warnings 'help' as you can't avoid the content.

I think the crux of the matter is whether the trigger warning is ultimately effective - ie to complete the course you still have to experience the content and so the question is, is it possible to effectively mitigate that with simple foreknowledge. If the answer is 'no' then the question is raised of what purpose the trigger warning serves (and is it a step on some slippery slope type of thing) and if the answer is 'yes' then certainly they can have a place provided you look at whether in so protecting the individual are you slowing down their own progress towards recovery or speeding it along.

And I don't think there's any one answer to that.

Seems it's three lectures, guess we would need to know more on how that course works as well. Fair enough about the comparison with TV, but felt similar in that you get a sense of what you're walking into

I don't understand what's so bad about giving someone information they can make an informed decision about themselves.

Because no-one will give them warning if they actually rape them, that's why :/

So violence ratings on TV should be removed too? I'm unlikely to be given a heads up by the guy suckerpunching me.

These are there because TV can be watched by the kids, we are talking about adult people here

So children will be warned if they're raped?

Well children are already warned billion times about creeps in vans and they are not suppose to walk around alone at 11pm. C'mon you know what I mean

I don't understand what's so bad about giving someone information they can make an informed decision about themselves.

I think there are two main concerns -

Does it help?  If the student still has to experience the 'triggering' content does knowing about it actually make a difference?

Does it hurt?  If the student continues to avoid triggering content, are they keeping themselves from healing over the long term?

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

So children will be warned if they're raped?

Well children are already warned billion times about creeps in vans and they are not suppose to walk around alone at 11pm. C'mon you know what I mean

My wife was raped in broad daylight by a friend of the family. She was 9. Try again.

I think there are two main concerns -

Does it help?  If the student still has to experience the 'triggering' content does knowing about it actually make a difference?

Does it hurt?  If the student continues to avoid triggering content, are they keeping themselves from healing over the long term?

...How are these even questions? Literally everybody I spoke to who actually attends or lectures at university told me that yes, these things are useful, yes, they help students cope with material that is difficult for them to process, and no, nobody is actually exempt from the normal requirements for successfully completing the course. Trigger warnings don't exist to protect the precious fee-fees of students, they exist to allow them to digest the texts on their own terms. I can't believe there are people who are arguing - no doubt from a position of ignorance, but ignorance should not be an excuse - that there is a positive societal value in expecting people to engage in a demanding intellectual activity while in a state of fight-or-flight panic mode as opposed to, y'know, giving them a heads-up that 'hey, this material might be difficult, so go ahead, take a minute, and prepare yourself so you can engage with it properly'.

• Like 1

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

*Warning - This play contains graphic violence* is the solution to fight or flight panic mode that said play would induce? Wowwee wow wow. If that is the state that people operate in then honestly I just pity them. That's not to far from being legitimately mentally challenged. 

Well, my final comment on it is this: if the poor little dears are unable to deal with a work of historical fiction I strongly suggest avoiding the study of actual history. It's much worse.

Thomas Sowell