I went into the game blindly, but upon encountering Raedric and being wiped I've started to question if I'll even make it to the end of the game. I've only just realised that AOE spells can damage party members unless specified otherwise.

I'm currently a wizard and level 4 - I was hoping to be a caster nuker. I'm in the process of reading through guides, but I think some input would be more insightful. I see, there's a lot of builds but I have no idea what one to follow. I've come across a character development guide on Steam, but I believe it's out of date (2.0 as oppose to 3.0).

I'm wondering if I should re-roll - change race, background, and maybe even change class...

Caster nuker is a nice choice. Think about softening the enemies defenses before nuking. At level 5 take Expose Vulnerbilities and Fireball. EV will lower the enemies DR by 5. Cast it first. Then Fireball. Try bottlenecking enemies in doorways,etc... to group them up so your nuking is most effective.

What's your party? What difficulty setting?

Edited by Blades of Vanatar
  • Like 1

No matter which fork in the road you take I am certain adventure awaits.

Raedric is hard and a spike in difficulty. The whole early game is particularly hard in comparison to the rest of the game. Keep on trying, it gets easier. Especially towards the end!

Rule of thumb:

- boost your own accuracy with buffs

- do some CC effects (like Slicken, Chillfog) to lower enemies' defenses

- start attacking and deal a lot of dmaage because your accuracy is high and the enemies' defenses are down

Don't start nuking or attacking right away if the encounter is difficult. Brute force doesn't work then.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Raedric is a difficult area early in the game. I recommend just skiping it until later on after you have gained at least a couple more levels. There is no -need- to ever go there, so just wait until your party is ready. If you want, you can poke around the castle for loot to sell. It is a good source of coin early on.

I went into the game blindly, but upon encountering Raedric and being wiped I've started to question if I'll even make it to the end of the game. I've only just realised that AOE spells can damage party members unless specified otherwise.

If you're still unsure exactly how this works for AoE damage/debuff spells (unless you have expert mode on): When you're aiming the spell the red part of the AoE marker shows the area that will hurt both friendlies and hostiles. The yellow outer part will only hurt enemies. For some spells the AoE is all yellow and those wont hurt friendlies anywhere in the AoE.

Caster nuker is a nice choice. Think about softening the enemies defenses before nuking. At level 5 take Expose Vulnerbilities and Fireball. EV will lower the enemies DR by 5. Cast it first. Then Fireball. Try bottlenecking enemies in doorways,etc... to group them up so your nuking is most effective.

What's your party? What difficulty setting?

Caster nuker, or any other build/class that makes me the main damage dealer within my party.  I shall make a note of those two spells. I shall fiddle around with spells people recommend me, but ideally I'm looking for a guide to follow.

At the moment I just have 3 companions (wizard, priest and a tank). I know I need to fill in the other spots, I just didn't want to hire a mercenary as I wasn't having any trouble before encountering Raedric.

@OP:

You can make a detour to Caed Nua and pick another Chanter companion. Might make things more manageable.

As mentioned, Raedric is a difficulty spike. Somewhat like venturing into the bear cave in Valewood at lvl2 solo. But although Raedric is a major plot element, it isn't tied to the main story progression so you can do it later. Just try to complete it before the

animancy meeting

in Defiance Bay. Also once you hit Defiance Bay, you can get access to 4 more companions (Ranger, Cipher, Druid and Paladin) quickly.

Readric is set for a level 3 and 4 party even on PoTD. I did it last night no cheese either. Stood at the stairs and fought. Reduce deflection and defenses by debuffing and increase your accuracy. That's the game in a nutshell. Attack the defenses that are reduced. If you fit your DPS in that debuff window you've got it.

As a wizard Curse of Blackened Sight destroys the offensive and defensive capability of the enemy and it's FOE only.

Edited by Torm51

Have gun will travel.