Can we have a talk about potions?

I've just been finally getting around to completing White March part 2, so while the issue is fresh in my mind and this is at a conveniant point where things might actually happen, let's have a collective conflab about potions (and by extention, other disposables).

As I come to the end of the game, I once again find I have a stash and half the quickslots full of potions. Potions, which, aside from the healing potions, I have never used. I maybe used them in a handful of fights at the start of the game. This is not, for that matter, unusual. In pretty much every game back to Baldur's Gate, it has been the same. They get saved for "I might need them." But, you find, by the end of the game, "when I might need them" has come maybe only once or twice in the entire game. (And, in my experience, the table RPG is no different. A party will end with dozens of potions in party funds or on their sheets that will almost never get used.)

I think the issue is, basically, ever problem with the "per rest" syndrome, plus one. PoE makes matters worse, I think, because unlike the older games, you can't even use them before combat.

Food in PoE, I used... Basically only when I had dragon meant and that maybe before each dragon fight and the final boss. The benefits of the other food seemed rather small in comparison to the faffing about making everyone eat it before combat, so I basically never bothered.

Now, I'm given to understand that they are more used at the higher difficulty levels, and I will have to bow to the judgements of the fine folk you play at that level.

What I would like to do here is see if we cannot perhaps hammer out some ideas about what could be done to improve potions and disposables (If anything), as this maybe the opportune moment to do so.

The first ideas (which I am throwing out in no particular order of judgement for dissection):

1) Allow more disposables to be used before combat (a la older infinity engine games). Now Obs specificaly said they didn't want to allow pre-battle buffs because then they had to balance for it, which is a fair point. But, by the same token, it means that for the people disinclined to use disposables (because of the "rainy day" syndrome), they are even less likely to be used.

2) Drastically improve the speed at which consumables are used in combat; possibly just make them flat instant, rather than with a time or animation. (But perhaps impement a cooldown equivilent to the current drinking time so you couldn't spam them.) This does, however, nearly comes back to the problem, except for only being able to stack them more slowly) and is a bit more game-mechanic-y.

3) Drastically increase the average power of potions and significantly decrease their availibility. Play to the "rainy day" syndrome. Make each potion a one-shot item of importance, that does something really good, and then work on the basis potions are only going to be used in "boss" fights. (Healing potions would be exempted from this, they seem about right.)

4) Change the balance of potions a bit such that there are far more potions that Do Stuff rather than provide buff (e.g. invisibility) and then provide, a la White March, reactivity in scripted action sequences for havig said potions. (Like the grappling hooks and whatnot.)

5) Do nothing, and work on the basis that with a few exceptions, nonhealing disposables are really basically just funny-shaped cash that the majority of players would be better off selling, rather than cluttering ther inventory; except possibly for people on harder difficulty levels.

The same comments can be applied to scrolls (though as they create spells, I find they lend themselves a little bit more to use) and food to a lesser extent (though the solution to food might be as simple as just providing a more efficient way of eating it; an "at all" button you can use from the stash to make the whole party gobble a portion (maybe even consider making 1 food item a whole-party disposable altogether).)

What does everyone else think of this issue?

Edited by Aotrs Commander

1) Allow more disposables to be used before combat (a la older infinity engine games). Now Obs specificaly said they didn't want to allow pre-battle buffs because then they had to balance for it, which is a fair point. But, by the same token, it means that for the people disinclined to use disposables (because of the "rainy day" syndrome), they are even less likely to be used.

It makes a lot of sense to use potion right before the combat, a-la battle preparation in Witcher 2 style, at least RP wise.

On the other hand players would just prebuff a lot. Still not good. So I am rather neutral on this.

2) Drastically improve the speed at which consumables are used in combat; possibly just make them flat instant, rather than with a time or animation. (But perhaps impement a cooldown equivilent to the current drinking time so you couldn't spam them.) This does, however, nearly comes back to the problem, except for only being able to stack them more slowly) and is a bit more game-mechanic-y.

I am completely with you on this. Drinking potions being so slow was very annoying. Not to mention that they don't really queue well, and any interruption forces you to recheck if the potion was applied or not. Tbh, I'd like drinking a potion being instant, with a delayed effect of 3s during which it's bonuses are not yet applied, nor you can use another potion.

3) Drastically increase the average power of potions and significantly decrease their availibility. Play to the "rainy day" syndrome. Make each potion a one-shot item of importance, that does something really good, and then work on the basis potions are only going to be used in "boss" fights. (Healing potions would be exempted from this, they seem about right.)

It would make me hoard them for some uber hard fight, only to never actually use them.

Same thing happened with majority of Caed-Nua adventure rewards that had non-replenishing charges.

Edited by MaxQuest