Did anybody catch the post on reddit about guy who got The Ultimate achievement with a wizard?

https://www.reddit.com/r/projecteternity/comments/5pf5o6/beat_pillars_of_eternity_tcs_the_ultimate_as/

Josh Sawyer also tweeted about it yesterday. Pretty damn impressive for a spellcasting class! Build is in the link. He even uses frenzy! Imagine the nerves, not knowing how much health you have left...

Edited by the streaker

Weren't paladin and wizard best candidates for this achievement?

Well, priest once he gets to level 7, is nice too.

As for frenzy/hp thing, iirc you can still mouseover your character in combat and see the 'color' of your endurance (yellow for injured, red for critical injured).

• Like 1

I also think that wizard is one of the easiest classes for this.

The others might be priest (if you survive the early game) and indeed chanter as you guys already mentioned.

Judged on my experience with solo PoTD runs (although I like full parties better).

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

It's difficult in the sense that failing to get your buffs up or missing a critical spell can very easily lead to your doom, whereas Paladin or Chanter are much more forgiving classes in long fights due to their natural defensive capabilities.

I don't think anyone would deny that Wizards are very powerful, but beating every tough encounter without a single death as a spellcaster is still an impressive feat. Kudos to the guy/gal.

Edit: Also kudos for having the patience to put up with resting all the damn time. :p

Edited by fiddlesticks

But don't they just pause & quit the game if the fight goes south? So no problem if you screw the buffing I guess.

Also, with Fast Runner and later Alacrity you can run away a bit and buff yourself while undisturbed until the first enemy arrives. But true: self buffing is a bit of a risk. Same with priests I guess.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

But don't they just pause & quit the game if the fight goes south? So no problem if you screw the buffing I guess.

I suppose there is no way of verifying that someone pulled it off legitimately without them streaming the entire playthrough, but I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. It's not like there's a special kind of reward attached to the achievement, so you're only cheating yourself in the end.

Weren't paladin and wizard best candidates for this achievement?

Well, priest once he gets to level 7, is nice too.

As for frenzy/hp thing, iirc you can still mouseover your character in combat and see the 'color' of your endurance (yellow for injured, red for critical injured).

Paladin, chanter, wizard are probably the easiest, maybe in that order, but don't confuse easiest with easy ;)

After that you understand the rules of the game the ultimate run is not about "easyness" but about "how much time i want to spend to do it". If you do 2 parallel saves, 1 with trial of iron and One without, you can just try every encounter until you find a bomb-proof strategy, After that performance it with your trial of iron One. And you have to rest very ofter and be very careful all the run, so it will take at least 50%-100% more time that a normal run.

And still some things can ho wrong nontheless, and maybe you die for Extreme bad luck and you have to start all' over again.

I did it only once with a Chanter, and was not actually too "difficult", most of the time it was just boring because you can't afford to take any risk and have to play thery careful.

TD,dr: always a great achivement to get, but it is always a giant investment of time, more than skill

Fights where you can run are easy for any class - you just need time. What matters for the Ultimate is to find a way to deal with the few fights where you can't run - for that you need reliable defense or CC. In the end, with scrolls of confusion and paralysis, any class can find a way to deal with these encounters.

I suppose there is no way of verifying that someone pulled it off legitimately without them streaming the entire playthrough, but I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. It's not like there's a special kind of reward attached to the achievement, so you're only cheating yourself in the end.

A few things to consider:

• Despite the "you're only cheating yourself in the end" mantra (which I agree with) we have countless examples of people who do still cheat when there's no reward
  • There is a reward attached, namely respect of the community. It might seem strange to some, but many people thrive off the respect of being an "expert" at something.
  • Finally, to many achievement seekers, using any exploit that doesn't actually stop the achievement being achieved is fair game. It's a similar mindset to power gamers and speed runners in that respect. This group, if they don't fall into either of the two previous groups, will often be very open about having used such exploits.

This is not to say that the player in question did use this exploit, and even if they did it's still an extraordinary achievement so kudos to them.