Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Movies You've Seen Recently

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
588 replies to this topic

Malcador

Malcador

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7003 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Pft, consoles.
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

• Hurlshot likes this

algroth

algroth

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 586 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Was about to share that. I'm not too convinced... It looks intriguing but I'm getting a bit of an Avatar / Valerian vibe from it.

algroth

algroth

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 586 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Not sure if this has been shared, but I'm really looking forward to it, like Creature of the Black Lagoon meets Amelie:

• injurai likes this

injurai

injurai

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1188 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I don't get the whole crazy surrounding Ready Player One, also why is the Iron Giant there?

edit: the -> get

Edited by injurai, 22 July 2017 - 08:13 PM.

Raithe

Raithe

Lurking Caped One of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3242 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I don't the the whole crazy surrounding Ready Player One, also why is the Iron Giant there?

It's basically a 40 something author writing a story about a teenager in the future who worships 80's nostalgia in the uber-geek manner by playing an MMO based around it, and thereby gaining world shaking power, influence, respect and the girl.

Your mileage may vary depending on how you like your pop culture references dropped every other paragraph.

• Rosbjerg and Hurlshot like this

algroth

algroth

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 586 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I don't the the whole crazy surrounding Ready Player One, also why is the Iron Giant there?

Apparently the book is full of references to other films, games, pop culture stuff and so on, it's part of its aesthetic/world.

injurai

injurai

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1188 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I'm really not a fan of "all the things, all the time" approach. Which happens a lot to futurist fiction or reference heavy mediums. So both those at the same time sounds like hell for me. When I'm not playing a game, I'm not too keen on consuming meta-entertainment about entertainment mediums. Especially games. When it comes to VR stuff, I like Neuromancer's simstims or Cyberpunk 2020's braindances. But the Summer Wars, SAO, Psycho Pass "Nobody Knows Your Face / Nobody Knows Your Mask" style of "second life" VR just don't really grip me. I prefer more the escapism to another real life, or perhaps just a abstract cyber representation of data-streams. Perhaps it's because given a real opportunity I wouldn't want to hang out in those sorts of online worlds. Even though I spend a lot of time staring at flat static web pages... I don't need those to be more real. Maybe it's also because I'm a CS major...

Maybe I'll have to read the book and see if the story is compelling enough, but the setting isn't winning any points, and it's not high on my priorities. Still I like to keep an eye on the tides of societies interests.

injurai

injurai

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1188 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Also, just got back from Baby Driver.

I say god damn!

Rosbjerg

Rosbjerg

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 4929 posts

Not sure if this has been shared, but I'm really looking forward to it, like Creature of the Black Lagoon meets Amelie:

Seems like Guillermo got to make the Abe Sapian origin movie he always wanted - cool.

Also, closed for length, new thread here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users