The important part is that it's the weapon's base damage that gets altered. It's not a mere additive bonus like all the others but multiplicative.

Not I'm even more confused. Do you mean it's not the base damage?

To make it simple, most damage bonus provided by Abilities, Magical items or spell buffs stack additively.

When you already have +100% from various sources, an additional +20% bonus is actually a +10% increase from your current damage.

Base + 100% = 200% Base

Base + 100% + 20% = 220% Base

Confident aim min damages change basically multiply your damage by 1.08 (+8% increase, trust my maths) whatever damage bonus you already have.

Compared to various other abilities, it's actually pretty solid.

Edited by Elric Galad

Yep. You increase the BASE with Confident Aim. Again: you increase the base itself. All the other dmg mods (Savage Attack and so on) will be calculated with that base.

That's a good thing. Like Eric said you will have a 1.08 multiplier for your whole damage. 

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

• 9 months later...

Dual wielding war hammers is good. You already named the reasons: great uniques, two damage types.

Take Charge later on. It's superawesome - especially when dual wielding. When arriving at the target you will not only deal the "AoE in a line" crush damage of Charge, but also deliver a full attack. Most normal foes die instantly.

Unless they changed something, charge doesn't use weapons. It works like a spell and always does crush, even if you are holding a bow or spear. When I did my glass Tsunami build, charge only did a single crush attack to each enemy in the charge path (I had duel weapons). The base damage for charge is very high, and when combined with high Might, it does a lot of damage and is very much worth it. You will use it all the time because it is twice per encounter. Sadly it is worthless against enemies immune to crush (one of the toughest boss enemy is).

For war hammers, there is a really good one called "Strike Hard" that can be bought later in the game. Arguably one of the best weapons in the game because it can dramatically increase your attack speed with the right combination of gear and helps accuracy. Also, being a soldier weapon, weapon focus/master/specialization will also carry over to the most damaging ranged weapons, in case you like to start off with a gunshot.

Regardless of your build, I think high Might and high Intellect are most important. All the core fighter abilities benefit a grest deal from both, unless you only pick passives. The two best ones you can't avoid taking and help a great deal throughout the game: knockdown and constant recovery. Without high int your (up to 4) knockdowns per encounter won't last nearly as long and constant recovery will expire long before the battle ends. You really need those two abilities to compensate for your lower defenses and it is a waste to nerf them so badly with minimized intelligence. I think it is better to lower perception, con, and resolve, which have minimal impact on your build. You don't need to completely tank them, but around 8 is just fine. With the right (easy to obtain) gear to compensate, you could completely minimize any of those 3 stats without any really noticeable harm. I have done so solo and with a party, they are even less needed.

For modals, don't bother with the fighter ones. However, "vulnerable attack" is very good for duel-wielders. Late game you can consider adding savage attack. I consider that one optional and a low priority. Vulnerable Attack is well worth the speed penalty and is particularly noticable early on so I recommend it as one of your first two talents.

Is Vulnerable Attack good on 2H builds, too? Also, how about its use for non-Fighters - e.g. Paladins?

It adds the equivalent of  5 damage to every attack while it slows you down. It depends on enemy DR if its use is benefical or not. It's a no-brainer for retaliation builds and for everybody who has low base damage melee weapons.

• Like 1

It adds the equivalent of  5 damage to every attack while it slows you down. It depends on enemy DR if its use is benefical or not. It's a no-brainer for retaliation builds and for everybody who has low base damage melee weapons.

I see. The last game I had really trouble breaking enemy DR down and fights tended to be longer. But this may be because I spammed mind control even more than usual, and I had Zealous Endurance running - so I was hitting a lot of enemies with +3 once Gyrd came to the scene.

I will have to see if I have the same issues this time without using so much mind control.

It adds the equivalent of 5 damage to every attack while it slows you down. It depends on enemy DR if its use is benefical or not. It's a no-brainer for retaliation builds and for everybody who has low base damage melee weapons.

What's the math on a DW Hammer Fighter? This last run I had Eder with that set up and he destroyed my Paladin even after Sacred Immolation. I couldn't catch him. 191K total damage. Charge is a game changer. I know it's got nothing to do with duel wielding lol

• Like 1

Have gun will travel.

It adds the equivalent of 5 damage to every attack while it slows you down. It depends on enemy DR if its use is benefical or not. It's a no-brainer for retaliation builds and for everybody who has low base damage melee weapons.

What's the math on a DW Hammer Fighter? This last run I had Eder with that set up and he destroyed my Paladin even after Sacred Immolation. I couldn't catch him. 191K total damage. Charge is a game changer. I know it's got nothing to do with duel wielding lol

This is kinda hard to believe - unless the Paladin was a pure tank. I am going to run a full-game test on PotD very soon - as soon as I decide upon the last member (likely either ranged Fighter or ranged Rogue)/

You don't know Charge. By the time the paladin gets SI the fighter gets Charge. It has more base damage than SI and works extremely well with crits - and it has a very long AoE "range". It's also a lot faster and the fighter can use it to open the fight and dish out two charges quickly. If the encounter is short then the paladin has no chance to apply that much damage with SI - there's not enough time.
Charge is very powerful. Also one of the most fun abilities.

Dual wielding actually adds damage to Charge because you will do a hidden Full Attack at the enemy you targeted with Charge. 

• Like 2

You don't know Charge. By the time the paladin gets SI the fighter gets Charge. It has more base damage than SI and works extremely well with crits - and it has a very long AoE "range". It's also a lot faster and the fighter can use it to open the fight and dish out two charges quickly. If the encounter is short then the paladin has no chance to apply that much damage with SI - there's not enough time.

Charge is very powerful. Also one of the most fun abilities.

Dual wielding actually adds damage to Charge because you will do a hidden Full Attack at the enemy you targeted with Charge. 

Indeed. Hence, I am excited to try it out - and at some point I figure I will find a PotD group I enjoy and finish the damn game with! ;)

• Like 1

Ya dude Charge turns a fighter into a nude Miley Cyrus.  Seriously and I forgot about the hidden full attack.  Eder would just charge to open the fight with Inspiring Liberation and it was just flying chunks of enemies in a line lol.  He was also Duel Wielding from the start so had a significant lead on my Quick Switch Darcozzi Alpha Striker (councilor Ploi with clear out instead of charms).  He got Sacred Immolation but Eder got charge on the same level.  A DW Fighter will have a lead on you up to level 13.  So if you take charge you will not catch him/her.

• Like 1

Have gun will travel.

Ya dude Charge turns a fighter into a nude Miley Cyrus.  Seriously and I forgot about the hidden full attack.  Eder would just charge to open the fight with Inspiring Liberation and it was just flying chunks of enemies in a line lol.  He was also Duel Wielding from the start so had a significant lead on my Quick Switch Darcozzi Alpha Striker (councilor Ploi with clear out instead of charms).  He got Sacred Immolation but Eder got charge on the same level.  A DW Fighter will have a lead on you up to level 13.  So if you take charge you will not catch him/her.

Ah, going full DPS mode from level 1 does make some difference as opposed to going full tanking till level 13. Also, there is a matter of how fast your fights end. For instance, every fight seemed like watching Mayweather v. Pacquaio the last PotD run for me! ;)