You can keep Hiravias in the back line and shift once the swarmers reach the back line. This "intercepting" approach works pretty well with druids. Pallegina can also start in the second row and after firing Wrath and both FoD shots (FoD = Flames of Devotion, sorry :) ) switch to melee and fill in the gaps. You might still have two squishier back row guys (GM and Aloth) who need some protection.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

You can keep Hiravias in the back line and shift once the swarmers reach the back line. This "intercepting" approach works pretty well with druids. Pallegina can also start in the second row and after firing Wrath and both FoD shots (FoD = Flames of Devotion, sorry :) ) switch to melee and fill in the gaps. You might still have two squishier back row guys (GM and Aloth) who need some protection.

Thanks. That sounds like a good idea. Will need to find something ranged for Hiravias. What do you recommend, and are the wildstrike talents I picked for him useless then, if they only work while shapeshifted? Still useful if he gets a chance to go melee ofc.

Like the idea of using Pallegina as a gunner at first, then letting her go into melee range. I'm thinking with a sabre + Outbuckler. We're level 5 now, so am thinking of doing some levels of Cuad Nua, and picking up Resolution.

There aren't many Blunderbusses around from what I recall, and I had intended to let Grieving Mother use one too, but she could always sport a Pistol, or I can enchant a "vanilla" one, if we find more.

Don't have much time to play due to long work days, but will get in a couple of hours today and start to put these things into action. Hopefully won't miss Durance too much. Always nice to have a priest around if you find yourself in a pinch.

• 2 weeks later...

Girdle of the Driving Wave gives you one Knockdown per encounter. BUT that special Knockdown is a clone of the old Knockdown ability and did not get updated when they buffed Knockdown and so it's still not a full attack despite me reporting that long time ago. :(

Girdle of the Driving Wave gives you one Knockdown per encounter. BUT that special Knockdown is a clone of the old Knockdown ability and did not get updated when they buffed Knockdown and so it's still not a full attack despite me reporting that long time ago. :(

Works exactly like the new one on a 2 handed user and the +1*Lvl Accuracy abilities gets great at higher levels. 

Funny to see carnage hitchecks get better accuracy than the main hit as you start leveling up :) ..

WPNTVf7.jpg

Sure, for a fighter with a single weapon or a 2hander it doesn't matter. For a dual wielding char it's a bit sad that they overlooked that item.
It's a great belt for wizards who use Spirit Lance by the way: combines Knockdown with AoE. :)

Yes, the Wounding effect on weapons stacks with itself. It's why Drawn in Spring is possibly the best weapon in terms of pure DPS.

I don't think there's a specific topic for questions which are too simple to warrant their own thread. Might not be a bad idea to create one, actually.

My main character is a fighter who is dual wielding war hammers, and he's dealing out some serious damage already, particularly from knock-downs (with two brutal attacks). I'm ready to level up again, and am wondering: Is Armored Grace worth it? Or am I better off picking something else, like Clearout or Unbending?

My main character is a fighter who is dual wielding war hammers, and he's dealing out some serious damage already, particularly from knock-downs (with two brutal attacks). I'm ready to level up again, and am wondering: Is Armored Grace worth it? Or am I better off picking something else, like Clearout or Unbending?

I am a big fan of Armored Grace. It add's a lot of DPS to your guy, lets you attack faster while wearing heavy armor.

If you're wearing plate it's one of the best. But I also like Clear Out a lot. If I remember correctly it's only a primary attack though. With Siegebreaker Gauntlets you can have one additional Clear Out per rest.

Edited by Boeroer

Thanks. I've gone with Armored Grace, and hopefully it will turn out a good choice.

I like Clear Out too, but oddly enough, one thing I don't like with it is the knock-back effect (which needs to be there given the name).

Little off-topic, but what level does the Visceris NPC in Defiance Bay have? After killing a bunch of stuff so far, including Greater Blights and the Dweller, that chap is still our 'best' kill according to group stats. Just by sheer luck I found out he had a rather nice helmet in the previous playthrough, for a time I wanted to kill off every single backer NPC, so I wanted to see if it was random or not. It isn't, we got the Stag Helmet again. He barely turned red before dropping dead, so I find it odd he has so many levels to trump everything else we have come across so far.

clear out is not primary attack since (contrary to its description it makes no use of the equipped weapon/s - way inferior chance to knock down an individual target compared to knockdown ability executed with accurate weapons  ). Thus the accuracy on weapon will not help and neither will on strike/on crit effects on weapon. 

Primary weapon recovery will also not influence (help speed up the recovery) - only generic attack speed bonuses and the armor recovery component .

Edited by peddroelm

WPNTVf7.jpg

Yeah sorry, I used the wrong term. What I meant was a single attack and therefore it doesn't do anything special for you if you are dual wielding. It has also nothing to do with your weapon (as you said). Like "Into the Fray" if I'm not mistaken. The upside of Clear Out is that its base damage is higher than that of weapons, it gets an ACC bonus per level (Knockdown also gets this) and that you can execute it with any weapon equipped - even ranged ones.

Pretty much ALL abilities get the +1ACC/lvl  ( way too many to list - knockdown, bash, clear out, flaggelant path, rooting pain, carnage, ..  2 pages of etc..). 

Dual wielding CAN in fact  be EXTREMELY beneficial to primary attack abilities (Force OF ANGUISH, SAP) (shaving 50 of the ability's recovery just because of dual wielding - which is the recovery of the main hand weapon . Two weapon style will reduce this by further 20 assuming there are 2 weapons equipped to activate the perk ) ... 

Dual wielding makes it almost easy to get 0 recovery for primary attack abilities . (the ability to spam force of anguish long prones without recovery - that's got a lot of combat utility)

Edited by peddroelm
  • Like 1

WPNTVf7.jpg

Does confident aim really make sense for a warrior on difficulty lvl hard? Maybe its because my Party constantly seems to be "overlevelled" but i rarly hit with a graze. Mostly hits and crits.

P.S. I'am constantly using all kinds of per encounter buffs and debuffs.

Edited by riodoro

Pretty much ALL abilities get the +1ACC/lvl  ( way too many to list - knockdown, bash, clear out, flaggelant path, rooting pain, carnage, ..  2 pages of etc..).

Oh nice, I didn't know that weapon-based abilities also got the ACC/level bonus. Does this make Sap the most reliable way of inflicting Stun on an enemy?

The best part of Confident Aim is the raising of the MIN damage. It translates to a multiplicative increase of dps. Have a look what Kaylon said: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/87721-comtessas-gage/?hl=%2Bconfident+%2Baim

That's really cool. I never knew it worked after base damage had been calculated.

So if your dude did 27.5 – 40 Damage with a 150% damage modifier on a large 1H weapon, confident aim would add 27.5*0.2 = 5.5 to your minimum roll, which means 33 – 40.

That means it's much better than it would first appear.

The best part of Confident Aim is the raising of the MIN damage. It translates to a multiplicative increase of dps. Have a look what Kaylon said: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/87721-comtessas-gage/?hl=%2Bconfident+%2Baim

That's really cool. I never knew it worked after base damage had been calculated.

So if your dude did 27.5 – 40 Damage with a 150% damage modifier on a large 1H weapon, confident aim would add 27.5*0.2 = 5.5 to your minimum roll, which means 33 – 40.

That means it's much better than it would first appear.

what do you mean after ? 

In my mathematical model for the damage formula confident aim just changes the min value of the weapon's BDR (base damage range) . Min=Min*1.2  (first step in the calculations) .  The RNG roll will provide a number within this modified BDR that will then be multiplied by the sum of damage mods (might, fighting spirit,  two handed weapon style, hit quality,etc etc) . In some cases (ex. firesword from forgemaster's gloves ) this could add ~10 to the damage range before DR subtraction (this is also before the (multiplicative) lashes are calculated ).

It tightens the weapons's BDR to (Min*1.2 , Max) and the average BDR to (Min*1.2+Max)/2 from (Min+Max)/2.  Adds 0.1*Min to the average BDR. 

Edited by peddroelm

WPNTVf7.jpg