Forgefiend damage without melee trait?

Nirven

Question

The Ancient Library on Normal Difficulty, on a Galaxy Note 12.2, with Android 6.

After defeating the Forgefiend at the Treacherous Cave, Kyra was dealt 1d4-1 damage. I could not find any other source for the damage, so I suppose it must be the Forgefiend's power to deal damage when defeated in Melee. ("If the check to defeat the Forgefiend has the Melee trait, after you act, the Forgefiend deals 1d4-1 Fire damage to you").

Kyra was alone at the location, and used Holy Light, supported by a recharged Acolyte, a Blessing of Sarenrae (recharged afterwards due to Dawnlowers Favor) and a Longbow shot from Valeros to defeat the Forgefiend. As far as I can tell, none of those have the Melee trait. Did I miss another possible source of damage, or why was the damage dealt? 

Also, Kyra discarded her Sihedron Medallion to deal with the damage, and was not given the chance to recharge it, not sure whether this is related. 

8 answers to this question

The Ancient Library on Normal Difficulty, on a Galaxy Note 12.2, with Android 6.

After defeating the Forgefiend at the Treacherous Cave, Kyra was dealt 1d4-1 damage. I could not find any other source for the damage, so I suppose it must be the Forgefiend's power to deal damage when defeated in Melee. ("If the check to defeat the Forgefiend has the Melee trait, after you act, the Forgefiend deals 1d4-1 Fire damage to you").

Kyra was alone at the location, and used Holy Light, supported by a recharged Acolyte, a Blessing of Sarenrae (recharged afterwards due to Dawnlowers Favor) and a Longbow shot from Valeros to defeat the Forgefiend. As far as I can tell, none of those have the Melee trait. Did I miss another possible source of damage, or why was the damage dealt? 

Also, Kyra discarded her Sihedron Medallion to deal with the damage, and was not given the chance to recharge it, not sure whether this is related.

Your Sihedron Medallion problem is a feature, not a bug. Damage from the Forgefiend cannot be reduced, so Sihedron Medallion would be discarded the way any other card would be for damage.

Not sure about the rest - is there a power for Valeros that gives his ranged weapons the Melee trait?

• Like 1

Not sure about the rest - is there a power for Valeros that gives his ranged weapons the Melee trait?

Indeed there is!  The Close Quarters power lets Valeros use his Melee skill in place of his Ranged skill when using a weapon with the Ranged trait.

Still, that probably shouldn't have set off the Melee trigger on the Forgefiend.  "Helper shots" like that are just a straight 1d4+x and shouldn't have Valeros' Melee attribute.

Indeed there is!  The Close Quarters power lets Valeros use his Melee skill in place of his Ranged skill when using a weapon with the Ranged trait.

Still, that probably shouldn't have set off the Melee trigger on the Forgefiend.  "Helper shots" like that are just a straight 1d4+x and shouldn't have Valeros' Melee attribute.

I don't even know if that should give the attack the Melee trait if it was an attack by Valeros - the power lets him use the Melee skill to make an attack with the Ranged trait, not add the Melee trait to the check.

Yes, the not-recharging Sihedron Medallion is probably because damage from Forgefiend cannot be reduced, thanks.

But Valeros is a Guardian, and has no "Close Quarters", his Powers are handsize 7, the proficiencies, Teamwork, Weapon Mastery, and Shield Another.

But Valeros is a Guardian, and has no "Close Quarters", his Powers are handsize 7, the proficiencies, Teamwork, Weapon Mastery, and Shield Another.

Whelp.  Ok.  The mystery deepens. 

I don't even know if that should give the attack the Melee trait if it was an attack by Valeros - the power lets him use the Melee skill to make an attack with the Ranged trait, not add the Melee trait to the check.

Completely agree.  I just try to follow along with how the game occasionally handles things, and a Ranged weapon mysteriously taking on a Melee attribute is well within the "scope of bug" that we've seen before.

Your Sihedron Medallion problem is a feature, not a bug. Damage from the Forgefiend cannot be reduced, so Sihedron Medallion would be discarded the way any other card would be for damage.

I got confused by this as well.  Feels like there should be some UI indicating that you can't reduce the damage - you're "discarding to damage" rather than "discarding for effect".

The padlock symbol on the Card that you are displaying shows that its power is blocked and that it is just a single Card discard. If the effect is active you get a shield or recharge symbol depending on the effect. Sometimes the symbols don't display, but a VRT fixes that

Edited by mccrispy