I'm new to Pathfinder games, I've only played the card game once through 1 scenario.  

I'm currently doing a scenario and pulled a monster (Bunyip)  it says it takes a 9 combat roll to beat it.   I rolled an 18 and failed.

I'm not sure if I just don't understand the mechanics or there's a horrible bug? 

I'm not sure if I just don't understand the mechanics or there's a horrible bug? 

It's probably a mechanics thing, I haven't seen anything that out-of-whack in my experiences.

Sometimes it isn't really obvious what modifiers are active in a scenario.  

- The number in the gray circle up top is the "adjusted" number to beat in a roll.  It includes any added difficulty due to failing a check (like in Bunyip's case), or other scenario modifiers.  There's a "subtract one from all dice rolled" mod that periodically comes up.

- The number in the red box in the middle of the screen is the player's modifier.  Its usually a positive number, but with situations like not having weapons proficiency when a card requires it, it can easily get to -4 or worse.

Having 9+ points of modifiers working against you is a little extreme, but could still be possible in certain situations.  Usually when this sort of post pops up it is quickly explained away when the poster didn't have weapons proficiency.

It might be that the roll of 18 you made was for the pre-battle difficulty check. With the Bunyip you first need to make a Wisdom 9 check which if you fail makes the difficulty of the Bunyip 1 higher, or a 10. So you could have rolled really well on that, and then failed your subsequent combat die roll.

What location are you fighting at?

Are you using weapon? If yes are you proficient in it?

Perhaps you rolled 18 on the wisdom check prior to combat but failed on the combat roll itself.

Been playing for a while and haven't encountered this things. More info would be good.

And oh welcome, hope you enjoy your stay ^^

It's probably a mechanics thing, I haven't seen anything that out-of-whack in my experiences.

Sometimes it isn't really obvious what modifiers are active in a scenario.  

- The number in the gray circle up top is the "adjusted" number to beat in a roll.  It includes any added difficulty due to failing a check (like in Bunyip's case), or other scenario modifiers.  There's a "subtract one from all dice rolled" mod that periodically comes up.

- The number in the red box in the middle of the screen is the player's modifier.  Its usually a positive number, but with situations like not having weapons proficiency when a card requires it, it can easily get to -4 or worse.

Having 9+ points of modifiers working against you is a little extreme, but could still be possible in certain situations.  Usually when this sort of post pops up it is quickly explained away when the poster didn't have weapons proficiency.

What location are you fighting at?

Are you using weapon? If yes are you proficient in it?

Perhaps you rolled 18 on the wisdom check prior to combat but failed on the combat roll itself.

Been playing for a while and haven't encountered this things. More info would be good.

And oh welcome, hope you enjoy your stay ^^

I'll try to capture a video of it next time it happens as it's happening fairly frequently.

I know it's not a wisdom check because immediately after i rolled the 18 it attacked.

I wonder if there was a Shadow involved?  I remember getting tooled by one before reading the whole "requiring magic" thing.

Or a Ghost (I hate Ghosts!). I don't know that Shadow and Ghost are the only "requires magic", but they are probably the only two that you meet early on.

I wonder if there was a Shadow involved?  I remember getting tooled by one before reading the whole "requiring magic" thing.

Or a Ghost (I hate Ghosts!). I don't know that Shadow and Ghost are the only "requires magic", but they are probably the only two that you meet early on.

The Specter, too.