Hurlshot's 2016 Summer RV Trip

Hurlshort

*Channel Islands National Park*

'cause we boasted 'bout the channel islands national park earlier, we were recalling the visitor center video is available online.  

HA! Good Fun!

The Torrey Pine is a local icon, thought by most to be unique. I never knew Santa Rosa is the only other place in the world where it grows. I must visit.  

Also, this is awesome:

poorplanning_zpsyk4vhefm.png

as a younger man we went to the channel islands mainly for the surfing.  am older now and we find that we can carry more necessary camping supplies when not hauling 'round a short board.  even so, is no question that a trip to the channel islands requires a willingness to rough it a bit.

HA! Good Fun!

ps while surfing the islands, we once saw an orca explode from the water onto shore where sea lions were congregating. the killer whale snatched a meal and then lurched back into the water.  left us utter dumbfounded.

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I know we've talked about this before but I thought this video did a pretty good job of highlighting some of the differences between the US and the rest of the world. It was really for folks visiting the US from elsewhere but it's worth a look: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vT_-viaUegI

I know the folks in Europe in particular forget that despite the fact that we share so much in terms of history, ancestry, and common interests and culture the US is actually a very different place that anywhere in Europe I think.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

If we're talking countries I've been to the big three in North America, Japan, South Korea, The Philippines, The Bahamas, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, and whatever the hell you want to call Diego Garcia. It's not really a "country".

Japan was my favorite. South Korea looked like a lot of fun but I didn't get to see much of it. The Philippines and Kuwait were not having their best times while I was there so hard to say if I'd have like them otherwise. 

Diego Garcia - the interwebs tells me its an atoll under control of the British Indian Ocean Territory.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Yep. It was a conveniently located refueling point for C130s & C141s flying between Australia and Saudi Arabia. Which is why we were there. We used to joke it was like Gilligan's Island only the skipper, Gilligan and the Professor were British and there were no Gingers or Mary Anns.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Yep. It was a conveniently located refueling point for C130s & C141s flying between Australia and Saudi Arabia. Which is why we were there. We used to joke it was like Gilligan's Island only the skipper, Gilligan and the Professor were British and there were no Gingers or Mary Anns.

Wasn't it used as a staging point for BUFFs during the Gulf War?

There was a lot of ops after the offensive began. Nothing was staged there it was just used for refueling and reloading from what I remember. I don't remember B-52s staying there. But we were not allowed to leave the south side. I remember someone telling me they would fly from Ramstein to Diego and do a drop on the way and refuel and reload for another op en route back to Ramstien. There were a lot of Vulcan B1s from the Aussie AF in an out of there. And lots, and lots, and lots of C130's, C141's and the odd C5.

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

There was a lot of ops after the offensive began. Nothing was staged there it was just used for refueling and reloading from what I remember. I don't remember B-52s staying there. But we were not allowed to leave the south side. I remember someone telling me they would fly from Ramstein to Diego and do a drop on the way and refuel and reload for another op en route back to Ramstien. There were a lot of Vulcan B1s from the Aussie AF in an out of there. And lots, and lots, and lots of C130's, C141's and the odd C5.

Ah that's probably what it was.  I know the first flights (requiring multiple refueling) were launched from Barksdale AFB which is an incredibly long haul.   Thanks.  :)