Bug: Goblin Warchanter makes every character roll the Wisdom 8 check

DarkRaven47

Question

10 answers to this question

That's actually the rule.  "You" applies to every character who wants to play a weapon or spell, but it missed getting into the PA rulebook on launch.

• Like 1

You can use the 'Mark Solved' button beneath a post that answers your topic or confirms it's not a bug.

The time that devs don't have to spend on the forum is a time they can spend on fixing the game.

(Thanks to Longshot11)

Agreed and while I can understand how they might not want to errata a whole bunch of physical cards, for the video game I wish they'd made some changes to wording like this.

And considering I've already seen a number of people asking this same question, maybe that will happen just to save themselves having to answer it over and over.

Edited by Brainwave
  • Like 2

While yes, any character who wants to use a weapon, spell or ability on the check needs to make the Wisdom check, this is poorly implemented.  It would be easy enough to flag any character who has made the Wisdom check, so that if they attempt to assist with a power, weapon or spell, they would then make the roll instead of having to roll for the entire party, regardless of their involvement in the check.

While yes, any character who wants to use a weapon, spell or ability on the check needs to make the Wisdom check, this is poorly implemented.  It would be easy enough to flag any character who has made the Wisdom check, so that if they attempt to assist with a power, weapon or spell, they would then make the roll instead of having to roll for the entire party, regardless of their involvement in the check.

Not that easy apparently. It was mentioned several times that this was how it was implemented initially but it made the game prone to crashing.

I'll take the annoyance of multiple rolls over instability, but if fix is not possible at least a rewording on the power is in order, if only to prevent every other new player posting a bug for it - and I totally understand how they would think it a bug; if I wasn't coming from the PACG I'd probably be posting the same ticket.

EDIT: Right now it's only the Warchanter, but further down the line there're Hags and other magic-resistant monsters that will also make all character roll to be able to cast spells so ... yeah, Obsidian, please try hard for a fix :)

EDIT 2: About rewording - Obsdian doesn't even have to come up with it themselves. There's already a monster that has a similar effect and it states it perfectly clear. The AD4 Harpy's power:

"Before the encounter, ALL CHARACTERS must attempt a Wisdom 8 check; characters that fail cannot play weapons and spells..."

Of course, the Harpy must be worded that way as it has additional effect, so its check is not really conditional ( only for players that try to play weapons/spells), but since that's how Warchanter is currently implemented - it seems like a good fit.

Edited by Longshot11
  • Like 2

You can use the 'Mark Solved' button beneath a post that answers your topic or confirms it's not a bug.

The time that devs don't have to spend on the forum is a time they can spend on fixing the game.

The streamlined way to do this would be 1 roll. If you fail no one can use weapons. He's fairly weak, and serves more as an 'annoyer' than anything else. 

If you're Lem (Str d4) and you can't play spells/weapons he can still pretty much hand-wipe you... or if you're anyone at all and your single Strength die rolls a 1.

The one-roll thing would be impossible, given that all characters have different Wisdom die and modifiers.

The streamlined way to do this would be 1 roll. If you fail no one can use weapons. He's fairly weak, and serves more as an 'annoyer' than anything else. 

If you're Lem (Str d4) and you can't play spells/weapons he can still pretty much hand-wipe you... or if you're anyone at all and your single Strength die rolls a 1.

The one-roll thing would be impossible, given that all characters have different Wisdom die and modifiers.

Normally, I'd agree, but I've killed Black Fang with Lem twice in one Scenario with no combat spells or weapons (LOTS and lots of support)...

"I need a lie-down" is the new "I'll be in my bunk..."