The hook mountain massacre is locked but purchased

KOS777

Question

12 answers to this question

^This.

If you go to the store and bring up The Bundle, you'll see in the description:

With the bundle, you will receive all Rise of the Runelords adventures as they are released!

This includes currently available adventures:

Burnt Offerings

The Skinsaw Murders

As they are released, you can continue the adventure in:

The Hook Mountain Massacre

"I need a lie-down" is the new "I'll be in my bunk..."

House Tully, I don't think that's fair at all. It took Paizo 2 months to get the second deck out, and Obsidian has it Day 1.

Plus there is Quest Mode which is infinite play.

If it's not what you expected, that's fair, but it's definitely not little.

I had the same reaction and then realized it just wasn't released yet. There's surprisingly little content in the primary release. 

It's a flaw of the digital age that things come to this. For US$25 you get close to $200+ worth of content in total ($100 worth currently available), and you can potentially have all that for free if you earn enough gold in-game.

The problem isn't really a lack of content, it's that the digital incarnation just makes the game play out insanely quickly. Each individual adventure in the physical version costs around $20, and unlike the app, which lets you knock out an entire adventure in well under an hour, the physical versions could take the better part of a day to set up and play through. The adventures were designed to be played and replayed as RPG-lite experiences, which ironically the efficiency of the app strips down quite a bit while adding its own RPG story elements.

It was never really meant to be a game you whip through in 30 minutes, "beat" and move on from. In that situation you'll naturally run out of new things to do, but that's not really the game's fault. It's still a card game at heart, and replaying it is the point, just as it is for the quite similar Elder Sign (and Elder Sign: Omens), or really any other board or card game.

The randomly generated endless Quest Mode scenarios also let you keep experiencing the core gameplay without becoming tired of the same specific pre-arranged locations, rules and villains.

• Like 3

The price isn't a great argument, but I agree with you about the content being different for an online vs physical game. Because of how much was involved in setting up and playing the physical game you'd get a couple weeks of gameplay (or more) per adventure pack release. But digitally it's easy to burn through that content in a day or two. I think the reality for a game like this is that until the whole adventure pack is released, people may be a bit dissatisfied with the partial story since the current content is so easy to stay caught up on.

Now that said, quest mode may alleviate that to a certain extent, depending on how popular that turns out to be. And I completely get that it's a lot of content to produce so releasing it with only some of the adventures initially makes a certain amount of sense. But it's not like the additional adventure packs are just extra expansions, they are part of finishing the main story, so I can also get the attitude that you can't really finish the game with what currently exists and the frustration associated with that.

• Like 1

Whether quest mode is popular or not has no bearing on whether it achieves what it sets out to do, which is to provide endless different adventures pieced together randomly from the overall card pool. Apart from a few notable bugs, it manages that quite handily, placing its gameplay squarely next to Elder Sign: Omens on the digital front.

The larger issue is that given the huge amount of effort and expense to put out a complex title like this, it simply wouldn't make sense to hold back everything and then release it all at once; if the app turned out to be a complete flop, so many resources would have been wasted. Realistically, board and card games are a pretty niche and risky genre overall, and by doing what they've done, Obsidian get to test the waters, gauge interest, and naturally pull in funds to continue development. Fantasy Flight did the same thing with Elder Sign's advanced campaign expansions.

The reality is that the Pathfinder content is exactly the same in both versions of the game, but the app simply allows the scripted adventures to be eaten much quicker. There's just nothing at all Obsidian can do about that, bar adding difficulty levels to encourage people to replay the scenarios. Even if they'd provided every RotR adventure in the initial release of the app, some people would still have cleared them all a single time in the course of a single day and complained about how little content the app has, never mind the fact that they'd just torn through $200 worth of card game. Awareness of this was possibly the single biggest reason for quest mode being added in the first place.

Complaining about the amount of "content" is just missing the point of what the app is: regardless of the multimedia trappings and added story, it's still a digital conversion of a repeatable, replayable card game, not a full-scale once-off RPG campaign.

Now, if people paid for the bundle, and Obsidian stopped development of the app after releasing the next adventure, then there would be cause for concern. The store makes it clear that adventures 3-6 aren't yet available, however, so there's really no room for complaints on that front; people are free not to pick it up until all the adventures are released, if that's what they'd prefer.

• Like 1

Maybe popular is the wrong word but if quest mode is intended as an alternative open ended game to be played while waiting on additional content, then whether people like it or not and thus actually get into playing it, is huge in terms of whether this game is successful while story mode is still unfinished.

I didn't say that Obsidian could or should have released it all at once. Im just pointing out that this is different than a game being released with expansions to come later - the additional content is still really part of the core game. It would be more analogous to playing Fallout 4 and after the first couple "areas" you can't go any farther until more content is released, but you can continue to kill mole rats, improve skills, craft gear, within that area. You can make all the comparisons to the card game that you want but the card game price is pretty irrelevant and people expect different things from video games than they do from tabletop games.

I actually don't agree that there's "surprisingly little content" in this game but I am pointing out that it's possible that many may feel that way due to how quickly the content that does exist can be played through, which unfortunately is a side effect of a digital product. Especially if quest mode isn't "popular."

• Like 1

House Tully, I don't think that's fair at all. It took Paizo 2 months to get the second deck out, and Obsidian has it Day 1.

Plus there is Quest Mode which is infinite play.

If it's not what you expected, that's fair, but it's definitely not little.

I think it is fair. I see games like Implosion, Battleheart Legacy, Infinity Blade(s), Skulls of Shogun... all of these are non-ports that have a full campaign mode upon release all at a fraction of the cost of the Rise of the Rune Lords pack for Pathfinder Adventures. 

You could probably buy all of those game for the cost of RotRL, and all of them had a full campaign available at release, and THEN paid expansions afterward. Pathfinder has like... 3 fairly small quest lines. 

The game is emulating the release of content, as it was released by paizo.  To a degree.   obv we have adventure 2 right now.   I feel like if we had multiplayer the experience might be a little different.    Comparing this game to other RPGs is a little unfair as this game is a better fit into the category of LCG, although it isn't branded as that.  Therefore the lack of content up front is not a design flaw, but by design.  Also, you can pay nothing for this game. Nothing.  The game has been out for less than two weeks and I have already unlocked all the main characters, both adventures, and i'm very close to the character add on pack. I gave them 2 dollars (after having unlocked all the content I currently have) because I enjoy the game so much. and I feel that is somewhat insulting based on the time/enjoyment I've got from the game.

So I think its a matter of apples and oranges, and I think the discrepancy comes from the modelling of a LCG into an online platform.  Where content release of this nature isn't really the norm.   Similar parallels could be drawn with Hearthstone,  and I actually think its a closer comparison.  As both are modeled on card games.  (yes there is not paper version of hearthstone, but it is is clearly following the tcg game model)   The TCG model is so ubiquitous, anyone playing hearthstone knows what to expect.  The LCG model has never really caught on , in terms of popularity. (as far as I can tell)  So the wisdom of choosing that model to base the digital port on is maybe something to discuss, but then that makes the conversation about the choices that obsidian has made in regards to how they will market this product instead of about how obsidian isn't delivering a finished product, which I feel is an inaccurate statement at best.  Now if we want to talk about bugs on the other hand........ but to their credit they got a patch out very quickly and it cleared up a lot of issues.  And they are very responsive to bug reports, so that's promising.

Ok. Enjoy your other games.

Lol How immature. I already gave the devs 30 bucks, I'm not going anywhere. It's just frustrating to have hit a wall so soon and so fast. Obsidian and Paizo are both companies that I trust and want to support. If anything, that's why I was so disappointed to have run out of content after just a few days of play.