Passing to acquire a boon

In the physical game, when you encounter a boon, it is optional whether you want to attempt to acquire it (unless it has no check, like a Blessing of the Gods). Quite often you do not actually want to acquire something if it's a card you can't use at all, especially later on, when Basic and Elite cards that get banished get removed from the box entirely.

It doesn't look like there's a way to pass on the check to acquire a boon in the app. It would be great if that could be added, particularly once the adventure decks that entirely remove Basic and Elite cards from the game are out.

Basic and Elite Banes are the only cards that are required to be removed at that point. Basic and Elite Boons may optionally be removed when returned to the box.

Also I don't see many cases where acquiring a card you don't need as being a bad thing, you can use it to take damage, many character abilities say discard a card to do a thing, it adds more "health" to your character, and besides at the end of your turn you can just discard it when you reset your hand anyway.

Edited by MerryHo

The main reason you'd want to pass on a boon is, once adventure 3 has begun, to permanently purge those weaker cards from your possible future treasure. Removing Basic and Elite cards from the game means you are more likely to pull better stuff. The option to "autofail" boon acquisition rolls has some other niche applications as well - imagine, for example, a villain that penalizes you for having, say, spells in your hand. A "fighter" type character may not want to roll to even try and gain a spell that does them no good, and may in fact hurt them later in that case. That example was made up but such things are not unheard of in the tabletop version of the game.

When you rebuild your deck at the end of the scenario, do the cards you don't take qualify as "banished" or are they just returned to the box?

EDIT:

From the rulebook:

"If you have cards left over after rebuilding all of the surviving characters’ decks, put them back in the box."

They do not use the term "Banished", so they must go back in the box.

When a Character dies:

"The other characters may use the dead character’s cards when they rebuild their decks after the scenario; any cards they don’t keep are banished."

dead characters banished cards can be removed from the box if they are basic or elite.

"Explore: When you explore, flip over the top card of your current location deck. If it’s a boon, you may attempt to acquire it; if you don’t, banish it. If it’s a bane, you must try to defeat it."

I concur then, you should have the option to not attempt to acquire a boon.

Edited by MerryHo

When you rebuild your deck at the end of the scenario, do the cards you don't take qualify as "banished" or are they just returned to the box?

By the rules, they are just returned to the box and not banished.

Also, note that for many of the cards you don't want to acquire, even though you can't choose not to attempt to acquire them in the app, you can usually choose a bad skill. If  fighter doesn't want a spell, roll with Arcane or Divine to give yourself the worst possible chance (maybe even impossible).

Also the digital game handles card removing differently than physical game. Certain amount persent of basic cards Are culled off From the box. It is semi random or random what cards Are removed, based on their "rarity"

There was some programing special reason for that, but I don't remember what exacly.

The reason why you can not chose auto fail is quite obvious.

You encounter the ultimate +Holy cow weapon and accidentantly press that auto fail button... Uuuppss.

In physical game that can not happen, in this digital version it could and would happen wery easily.

"Wow what a nice item. Roll! And puff the item is gone... "

Ofcourse it would need some serious fail safe features to prevent that From happening. It is a feature that may come later though, but at this moment there Are more important thing to do first.

Edited by Hannibal_PJV

The reason why you can not chose auto fail is quite obvious.

You encounter the ultimate +Holy cow weapon and accidentantly press that auto fail button... Uuuppss.
In physical game that can not happen, in this digital version it could and would happen wery easily.

That's not the reason at all. Between undo and a possible "are you sure" button. There are plenty of reasons around someone clicking a button to ignore an item and it being ignored. How would that mistake be any different than flipping a new card when you have 0 health and meant to just pass your turn?

In addition to removing cards from the game, the other major reason not to acquire junk cards is in the later adventures, when you've banished a card from your deck, you can search the box for a replacement if none were acquired.

Basic and Elite Banes are the only cards that are required to be removed at that point. Basic and Elite Boons may optionally be removed when returned to the box.

Is it different in the digital version? Because whenever I looked it up for the card game basic/elite cards are only removed from the game when they are banished, not when they are returned to the box. By that ruling any cards you have extra in your deck after an adventure and any cards left over in locations that have not been permanently closed would not be removed from the game if they're basic or elite depending on what adventure you're on.

In that case passing on acquiring basic boons you don't want is beneficial as a way to remove it from the game, though this doesn't come up in any of the adventures currently available.

Holy thread full of misinformation, Batman! Let's clear some things up, guys. :)

First: putting something in the box is not the same as banishing it. Thus, unused cards at the end of the scenario go back in the box; they are not banished.

Second: nobody has mentioned the actual reason why it's critical for passing on boons to be an option. The culling of basics/elites is irrelevant to the digital version because the digital version handles box management in a completely different way -- one in which banishing basics/elites has no effect on what gets culled. The true reason why this feature is important is this: there is a wildcard power that causes the party to lose a blessing every time a character fails a check to acquire a boon. Without the ability to pass on boons, this wildcard is utterly ridiculous.

The main reasons *I* wanted to pass on boons is, if I'm playing Kyra and Merisiel, and I'm forced to banish a Divine spell, then I can look forward to pulling a basic out of the box.

UNLESS I'm past Black Fang's Dungeon, and someone in the group has acquired (by virtue of a lucky Intelligence check) acquired an Arcane spell (or even a crappy Divine spell like Mending).  Then I HAVE to put that in my deck.

So, yeah, I don't want anyone to acquire stuff I'll have to include in my deck later in a scenario where there are a buncha locations where "banish a <card/boon/blessing/whatever>" is the close requirement.  My strategy is to banish stuff I can replace easily with Basics.

This is true of ALL kinds of cards, but the Spells thing was an obvious example.

• Like 1

"I need a lie-down" is the new "I'll be in my bunk..."