FBI finds backdoor to Apple phones

BruceVC

http://news.sky.com/story/1668534/fbi-cracks-san-bernardino-attackers-iphone

This is quite an interesting story that I have been following. As most of us know the FBI have been trying to access encrypted data on one of the  San Bernardino attackers  iPhones. They requested that Apple assist them and Apple refused, the FBI has now found a 3rd party source to help them decrypt the iPhone

Now the FBI doesn't need to ask Apple and the question is now " should the FBI reveal to Apple how they hacked the iPhone "

For me I think Apple should have helped the FBI immediately when  they made the initial request as state security events  like this is more important to me than privacy

So I support the FBI and there endeavors to access to the information on any device if required as part of an ongoing criminal investigation 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Let's dispel once and for all with this fiction that Barack Obama doesn't know what he's doing. He knows EXACTLY what he's doing. Barack Obama is undertaking a systematic effort to change this country, to make America more like the rest of the world. That's why he passed Obamacare and the stimulus and Dodd-Frank and the deal with Iran. It is a systematic effort to change America. When I'm president of the United States, we are going to re-embrace all the things that made America the greatest nation in the world and we are going to leave our children with what they deserve: the single greatest nation in the history of the world.

• Like 4

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Let's dispel once and for all with this fiction that Barack Obama doesn't know what he's doing. He knows EXACTLY what he's doing. Barack Obama is undertaking a systematic effort to change this country, to make America more like the rest of the world. That's why he passed Obamacare and the stimulus and Dodd-Frank and the deal with Iran. It is a systematic effort to change America. When I'm president of the United States, we are going to re-embrace all the things that made America the greatest nation in the world and we are going to leave our children with what they deserve: the single greatest nation in the history of the world.

I'm not sure if you being serious...I would hope you are but somehow I think you being sarcastic?

But the salient question about this topic is " does the FBI now share this backdoor with Apple " ?

Because there is a valid point that says " no as Apple refused to help the FBI and why  should the FBI tell Apple something that will diminish its information gathering capability " 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

It isn't really backdoor, if they didn't use feature made by Apple or feature that somebody infiltrated in Apple's code to bypass Apple's security features. But most likely this just shows that Apple's products security wasn't in level FBI let people believe and they just seek precedent that would give them ability to force companies to break their security features when ever FBI deems it to be necessary. 

Edited by Elerond
  • Like 2

I was shocked and embarrassed that our government didn't have this capability the entire time. smh. Kudos to whoever cracked it for them.

Do you think the FBI should share with Apple how they did it?

I don't think they should, I was watching an interview with an ex-FBI operative and he said the FBI won't reveal these details especially since he felt Apple had "sandbagged "  the FBI and had refused to cooperate 

John Milton 

I was shocked and embarrassed that our government didn't have this capability the entire time. smh. Kudos to whoever cracked it for them.

I don't think they should, I was watching an interview with an ex-FBI operative and he said the FBI won't reveal these details especially since he felt Apple had "sandbagged "  the FBI and had refused to cooperate 

So FBI found vulnerability in security measures of device that is used by tens of million people but they don't want those to be fixed because they think Apple was not nice enough with them. Sounds like they really want to protect public from the criminals  :getlost:

• Like 1

Hells no. Apple can go pound sand.

So FBI found vulnerability in security measures of device that is used by tens of million people but they don't want those to be fixed because they think Apple was not nice enough with them. Sounds like they really want to protect public from the criminals  :getlost:

Paranoia is sexier, but alternatively, the FBI needs that capability and doesn't want Apple to patch it out.

• Like 1

It may sound unreasonable but the FBI normally doesn't reveal to the general public how they gather information. So even though it may be seem  selfish and narrow minded the fact they wont tell Apple how they did it has more to do with there general security policy than this one example 

John Milton 

the FBI needs that capability and doesn't want Apple to patch it out.

Yes, I agree

Its about the capability of the FBI to gather information...they should not share these types of strategies considering the degree of cyber warfare that is ongoing against the USA and the West generally  

John Milton 

This sounds great KP. You have taken the first step to getting my vote: You have admitted we have a problem and identified what the problem is. Now you need to explain to me what YOU think made the US the greatest nation and what you'd do to bring that back. THEN I'll vote for you.

I'd say the same thing to Trump if he were around too.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Paranoia is sexier, but alternatively, the FBI needs that capability and doesn't want Apple to patch it out.

But that isn't reason that FBI give why they don't give information to Apple (according to BruceVC)., but something that sounds just pure pettiness.

In reality not telling what was the vulnerability that security company in Israel found out don't prevent Apple to patch it out, it just gives said security company and companies like it ability to sell that information to parties that most likely don't have as pure motivations as FBI (or maybe they actually have purer motivations than FBI but not necessary motivations that are towards common good).

Edited by Elerond

In reality not telling what was the vulnerability that security company in Israel found out don't prevent Apple to patch it out...

How do they patch what they don't know? Or are you saying that Apple has been aware of this vulnerability the whole time and just never bothered patching it out?

In reality not telling what was the vulnerability that security company in Israel found out don't prevent Apple to patch it out...

How do they patch what they don't know? Or are you saying that Apple has been aware of this vulnerability the whole time and just never bothered patching it out?

Company that has over 50 billion dollars cash in their bank account can buy that security company (and with it they also gain information about said vulnerability)  if they can find said vulnerability in any other way 

Edited by Elerond

Company that has over 50 billion dollar cash in their bank account can buy that security company (and with it they also gain information about said vulnerability)  if they can find said vulnerability in any other way 

No, Apple is not sure how the FBI found this information out 

They will do there investigations but it will be difficult if the FBI doesn't tell them how especially since the FBI has the actual device

Also Elerond this is not about money...not at all

There are people who do support the FBI and believe what Apple did was wrong, these people would also work in the software security industry and would happily help the FBI crack the Apple device because they believe this is an issue of state security...and they wouldn't be interested in selling there technology to Apple or helping Apple undermine the FBI

They aren't motivated by money but follow a greater calling...the security of the USA

John Milton 

So, yes they knew?

I would guess that Apple works like MS and patch things only when they become public knowledge, because they don't really care about security of their customers they just want look that they care.

So, yes they knew?

I would guess that Apple works like MS and patch things only when they become public knowledge, because they don't really care about security of their customers they just want look that they care.

Thats also not true, I use to work at Microsoft and I can promise you Microsoft does care about security and creating patches to fix security holes in there products

If there software gets hacked it undermines the credibility of there products and thats something no software company wants 

John Milton 

Company that has over 50 billion dollar cash in their bank account can buy that security company (and with it they also gain information about said vulnerability)  if they can find said vulnerability in any other way 

They will do there investigations but it will be difficult if the FBI doesn't tell them how especially since the FBI has the actual device

There are people who do support the FBI and believe what Apple did was wrong, these people would also work in the software security industry and would happily help the FBI crack the Apple device because they believe this is an issue of state security...and they wouldn't be interested in selling there technology to Apple or helping Apple undermine the FBI

They aren't motivated by money but follow a greater calling...the security of the USA

Our tech news reports all say that it was security company from Israel,  that FBI contracted to hack the phone.

Also lots of technology, software, law and USA analysts believe that there was bigger game behind all of this where FBI tried to use public support from terrorist strike to get precedent that would allow them to force tech companies to break their own security systems.

• Like 1

So, yes they knew?

Thats also not true, I use to work at Microsoft and I can promise you Microsoft does care about security and creating patches to fix security holes in there products

If there software gets hacked it undermines the credibility of there products and thats something no software company wants 

I used to work them also and I can promise they don't care

EDIT: Not give so negative picture. Operating systems and computers themselves are so complex and continuously evolving things that even after 14 years of patching there will be security vulnerabilities in them more than anybody can patch. So companies usually focus only to patch those things that become public knowledge as they have highest change to cause damage. But vulnerabilities that need extensive patching and are deemed to be difficult to exploit are often left without patch for long time in sometimes company may have know of some vulnerability for several years and they have not done anything to patch it, because its determined to be waste of money.

Edited by Elerond
  • Like 1

Our tech news reports all say that it was security company from Israel,  that FBI contracted to hack the phone.

Also lots of technology, software, law and USA analysts believe that there was bigger game behind all of this where FBI tried to use public support from terrorist strike to get precedent that would allow them to force tech companies to break their own security systems.

Israelis...interesting. I can believe that as the Israelis have some of the most experienced hackers in the world and some Israeli hackers are state sponsored 

I heard that story about the FBI trying to get access to all devices through public fear...I find it hard to believe. What would be the purpose of this ...seriously? To keep the Democrats in power...to ensure a new USA political order could come to power, to usher in a new reign of mankind ? That theory starts to sound like a conspiracy theory IMO  

John Milton 

Supposedly Apple wants the government to reveal how the iPhone was hacked, so Apple can improve the security of iPhone.

**** Apple. Apple previously refused to help the government to hack the iPhone, and now that the table has turned, Apple wants the government to help Apple and tell Apple how the government was able to hack the iPhone?

Really?!? 

Let me say it again: **** APPLE.

Imagine you had an associate, and you asked him to help you with a problem.  And he told you, "no, can't do."  But you finally solved the problem yourself on your own.  Now he asks for you help.  What should you do?  This is what you should tell him: "**** OFF."

Edited by ktchong

Supposedly Apple wants the government to reveal how the iPhone was hacked, so Apple can improve the security of iPhone.

**** Apple. Apple previously refused to help the government to hack the iPhone, and now that the table has turned, Apple wants the government to help Apple and tell Apple how the government was able to hack the iPhone?

Really?!? 

Let me say it again: **** APPLE.

Yes Apple in my view did display arrogance, intransigence  and was  unhelpful towards the FBI ...and now they want the FBI to give them what they wouldn't give the FBI

It doesn't seem reasonable ?

John Milton